Zoom UAC-8 vs RME FireFace UC

Hello,

I am planning on upgrading my audio interface and can’t decide which option to choose. I can get a used Fireface UC for around the same price as a new UAC-8 (lets say 600e)

Now some people may say that this is a no brainer and go for an RME, but im a technical guy, i’ve seen old devices go bad for no reason. Also UAC-8 is a relitevely new interface, that may offer newer/cheaper technology and have a longer dev/driver support.

The reason why I’m upgrading is RTL and inputs, i’ve read that UAC8 is showing very simillar results in RTL compared to FF UC and both unit I/O seems very close.

Maybe some of you have tested both? Or have any other information that could help me decide between those two?

The interface will be used for multitracking and sending Ableton’s clock to a TR-8 with all of it’s available outputs, Analog Four and another analog synth that is sequenced by A4 CV out (but audio goes back to Interface instead of A4). In this scenario im a bit concerned about Overbridge, does anyone know if multitracking several inpunts and having Overbridge streaming A4 separate outs may cause any latency or “late audio” issues on any of the channels?

Another planned routing scenario is to use one of interface’s outputs to send assignable audio track from ableton to a guitar FX pedal and route processed audio back to one of the inputs. Is it even possible to have this going without any significant delay and be able to monitor processed audio track in time with for example Overbridge audio?

Also I’ve made a short pros/con list from my point of view:
RME FF UC PROS:
*Better conversion and preamps (according to internet people)
*Solid drivers
RME FF UC CONS:
*Old device (around 5 years), but in mint condition
*I really dont like that “one knob for everything” design

UAC-8 PROS:
*New device
*All inputs with preamps (I dont know if this is any usefull for synth recording)
*Two headphone outputs
UAC-8 CONS:
*Questionable drivers, i’ve read good and bad responses regarding this matter.
*Questionable pre amps

The unit size itself (portability) doesn’t really matter for me.
Everything would run on Windows 10 (Intel i5 4690)

What do you guys think? Share your opinions.
Thanks

There is a reason why RME devices are so highly regarded.
It is not necessarily their converters, they are ok but there are better available.
What you are paying for most importantly are it’s drivers and rock solid stability. They just work, every day, all day, and in a studio environment this is paramount.
Another huge bonus with RME is the Digicheck software that they come with.
This audio test, measurement and analysis software is fantastic, runs off DSP of the hardware unit, and once you use it, it becomes indispensable. Total audio analysis within your studio.
Highly recommended, but you didn’t need me to tell you that :grinning:

1 Like

i bought a Zoom TAC 8 thunderbolt, and then returned it after 5 days.
Awful software and it just didn’t work well. Midi was messed up too.
I then traded up to a RME UFX usb- its great, no problems never need to worry about it.

I got your point, this was actually really helpful. Also I didn’t knew about Digicheck, it looks good (maybe even a replacement for Nugen Visualizer which i constantly use).
One small question, can you use RME with it’s ToltalMix software completely bypassed? Or atleast have it configured once and leave it as is?

@todayidance maybe it was thunderbolt that caused the issues? Ive read that early UAC/TAC drivers were bad, but they’ve fixed/improved it later on.

Dude, go for the RME.

They are the best quality you will ever hear.

i do not know what more to say.

Yes configure TotalMix once and leave it, change it when you want. Autostarts when the computer is switched on, hides itself automatically, runs without a hitch and requires no cpu resources at all pretty much.

if you need help configuring TotalMix i would be glad to help. Love RME gear.

So I went for the Fireface. The sound, latency, features, toltalmix, everything is as expected (great). I cant compare it to UAC, but im very satisfied with what i’ve got now. However the one knob design is a real pain, but I get it, “compact power horse” is written all over this unit.

Thanks for helping me decide, when I was opening this topic I was actually thinking on going with UAC, but here we are :slight_smile:

2 Likes