Zoom Ms-70 CDR

MS70 is a great and cheap effect pedal to my ears :slight_smile:
Use it with my 4 Volcas as well as send effect on MODEL1.
Used to use Maschine + Traktor effects (reverbs and delays) as sends but in the end it was taking 2 I/O from my MOTU UltraLite Mk3.
MS70 effects are pretty good.

1 Like

Great little toolbox - whilst no individual effect is a stellar ultimate version of what you’ll find on a dedicated delay, reverb or chorus pedal the sum of the parts provides a lot; particularly if you are seeking to create unusual, somewhat deliberately lower-fi scapes.

3 Likes

I’m so glad this topic had bubbled back to the surface… I’ve had a MS70cdr sat ununsed for years since it was just too fiddly to program from the front panel (well, I didn’t have the patience) and now I’ve updated the firmware and downloaded the Tonelib editor. I can now sit with my Craft2 plugged into it with both their respective editors open and create patches for live use…

Awesome.

6 Likes
10 Likes

I felt a little crazy selling my eventide h9 and replacing it with one of these, but apart from the lack of midi sync I prefer editing fx on this thing. not such a fan of editing patches on my phone over Bluetooth

2 Likes

How hard is the editing, anyway? I can’t tell from the demos/manual.

the “button” navigation sucks but it’s nice having a few encoders on the pedal to tweak parameters. the parameter resolution is quite low - it must be something like 0-127, can’t remember off the top of my head right now though. editing individual fx is pretty quick and much preferable to turning a single dial for everything (H9), but setting up the fx chains is a bit painful. hope that helps

1 Like

The zoom pedals are rad. Even with its flaws, I’m honestly more into my new Zoom G1 Four than I was with the 70 CDR and 100 BT.

Cons: No stereo input, no tap tempo (yet?), less FX and the FX param choices are often dumbed down.
Pros: The encoders are easier to tweak (still encoders tho). You can mute and select pedals instantly via the 5 buttons for a lot more tweaking live and when jamming. These with a more streamlined general workflow means I actually create on the pedal instead of set and ignore. Oh and the looper is usable if limited.

3 Likes

As @toitoy said (second link) there’s a web editor via usb-midi where you can import/export fx (at least with MS50G as it can hold MS70CDR fx too :heart:), create & manage chains, modify parametes, etc. It’s incredibly useful.

Not that hard. Not elegant solved either, Just ok, but doable. Always consider the Low price Point.

Anyone got favourite reverbs on the 70? Struggling to get a nice dreamy sound

I wonder could the code for this be used to create a midi knob controller interface …

1 Like

The trick is to create chains of reverbs! All my reverb presets are chain of at least 2 reverbs.
For example I like a lot to combine together plate, spacehole and or church/cave reverbs. to add a bit of modulation sometimes I put a vibrato effect in between (best a stereo chorus with kill dry).
No love for the Particle reverb?

4 Likes

The dedicated buttons seem nice indeed!
How is the sound compared to the MS-70 CDR?

From my use, the engines that are on there the sound is the same. There are less of the HD reverb algorithms, tho new algs seems to get added occasionally.

2 Likes

Strange question. Could I plug two mono inputs into this pedal, as an easy way to get two mono synths into a single stereo input of my MC-707 (trying to avoid using a mixer)

I’ve used a guitar and synth through just a MS-70CDR, both signals summed to mono using an eq, then out through a stereo effect (reverb). Worked fine.

Thanks, this is kinda what I’m thinking. Running two TD-3’s through the one pedal through a delay and reverb. They will sum to mono anyway right without adding an EQ?

You’ll need to use one of the mono effects to sum them, otherwise they’ll stay stereo L/R.

Okay cool thanks