LiveTrak digital mixer & recorders (L-8, L-12, L-20) from Zoom

I’ve never been able to perceive the difference between 48 and 96kHz; speakers, listening environment and aged hearing come in to play…

Not sure project studios benefit from recording @ 96kHz. Once it is pushed through a club sound system or streamed online…

24-bit/48kHz definitely improves headroom and makes the best use of HDD/SDD storage:

16 bit/44.1 kHz – 1 minute of stereo: 10 MB
24-bit/44.1 kHz – 1 minute of stereo: 15 MB
24-bit/48 kHz – 1 minute of stereo: 16.4 MB <- sweet spot!
24-bit/96 kHz – 1 minute of stereo: 32.8 MB

This is probably the most concise summing up on the subject:

1 Like

The Model 24 and L-20 have both their pros and cons. The main pros that would go to the Model 24 for me would be the interface. Having everything at hand is a big plus.

That said, for my needs, the L-20 would be the winner.
First, the tascam is bigger and way heavier than the L-20 (10kg for the Tascam against 3.71kg for the Zoom).

The number of individual outs on the l-20 are a big plus, since they could be used as effect sends.

Also, they both lack a midi clock out, which would be nice to sync my elektron gear. On the zoom you have a metronome that you can set individual volume for each output, so you could use it as a click to sync an external clock and send midi from another device. It’s a bit hacky, but I will definitely try that when I get my hands on one.

I can’t comment on the sound or build quality of both units though, and this can weigh a lot on a decision to purchase any of them. Especially at that price range.

1 Like

just to veer this topic even further off track - does anyone know whether the aux sends (mon1, mon2, and fx) are each stereo?

Tascam is looking like the exact thing I need - @hommes_doutant - I have read the Tascam manual and I can’t spot there being any evidence to suggest they are stereo. In think they are all mono personally but willing (hoping!) to be wrong…

Use case for the Tascam for me is a way to capture every jam session (dark trinity, synths, FXs etc) to an SD card so they can then be mixed, chopped, edited or what ever whilst retaining those ‘live’ interesting bits. Always found we lose a little bit of the magic when we come to multitrack into an interface or recorder.

Sounds kinda like Overbridge? Especially an Overbridge that works with non-Elektron products too.
At least Overbridge 1.0 works.

These other products really underline the advantage to the L-12 though – portability.

Yeah I agree - portability is a good point. In my specific instance I have a portable mixer for live already. The Tascam will go in the studio wired up permanently and the machines will be unplugged to move and play out, then plugged back in when we get back to the studio!

Which brings up a question for me.

Would SD Cards recorded on the L-12 then transfer to an L-20 to then continue the process further mixing and overdubbing onboard effects. I’m guessing probably, but the firm answer is an e-mail to Zoom away.

Would that be possible with the Tascam or Presonus as well??? (From/to the L-12.) That seems a little misty. Hopefully they’re all using fairly standard structures and it would be. Most probably, by dogged persistence you’d be able to bounce stuff through your DAW.

@theianscott In the specs it says the FX Sends are mono. Only the phone jack is stereo : https://tascam.com/us/product/model_24/spec

@Jukka , Zoom managed to keep the L-20 really close to the L-12 in terms of size and weight. This is at the expense of comfort I guess, but it is much appreciated.

You can find the input and master recordings as .wav files on the SD card, together in a project folder. Nothing special about them. I have not tried it, but you could probably pull the card out of the L-12 and continue on the L-20. I have transferred files from the Zoom H6 to the L-12 without problem. I have pulled files off, processed them on a DAW and put them back for further work on the L-12. No problems. Just make sure file name, channel count (mono for inputs, stereo for master) and sampling rate match.

1 Like

Pretty excited about this. I’d like to do some original multi track recording and mixing in the Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells way. Ie instruments coming in one at a time with simulataneous playback. Can anyone tell me if this is perfect for that. Ive looked at the Qupac. I would like complete control over the recordings. Ive read the Qupac can add FX and sends. Now that would be even better. I need about 6 instruments in a production. 8 at most. Any advice is appreciated.

1 Like

The L-12 can record 8 separate inputs (+2 more stereo) in 8+ takes, adding an instrument at a time, while playing what you already have. No need to commit to a mix until the end. When you are done, you can create a final mix from all original inputs, recorded on separate tracks.

2 Likes

"…in 8+ takes, adding an instrument at a time, while playing what you already have. "

Ive been searching for more information on this for a while and your comment right here might be my deciding factor. Because right now this one review by “Donny” (one of the earliest reviews) on sweetwater is making me hesitant - especially with what he’s saying with “virtual takes”.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/L12--zoom-livetrak-l-12-digital-mixer/reviews

Could you address/confirm/deny what he’s saying? Maybe I have my terminology all misconstrued with the use of the word “virtual takes” but basically, I’m worried that I can’t add consecutive tracks in separate takes using the L-12, since this Donny guy is saying stuff about ‘that you only get one shot.’ However your comment right here says otherwise, on a forum I trust lol. Basically, I just want closure that I can definitely 100% do what you described above. Maybe this guy is wrong or something, or maybe this problem was addressed in a firmware update - - - please advise.

****All in all, I really think this L-12 or maybe even the L-20 is the right one for me (i do a lot of techno, house, experimental, ambient etc). Absolutely love being DAWless all for about 95% of my workflow, but ive been running into some serious limits on my 4 track tape recorder and 8 track mixer. Definitely need to take my recording abilities to a new level.

1 Like

Do you mean that the Presonus AR22 can’t record different tracks simultaneously without connecting to a computer?

Zoom Livetrack L-8 is out and is mobile and geared to podcasters.

It looks so much fun in de video’s. Like you want to start a podcast just for (ab)using it :totes:

As I am about to sell my analog mackie mixer soonish I might try it out in the future.

3 Likes

If the had midi they would be perfect iOS companions.

3 Likes

Zoom also added a L-20R rack mount mixer.

This thing looks like a great mixer/interface/recorder for the right situation And it’s at a good price, around $600 US.

(Thanks TonyDS for posting the L-8 stuff. Zoom is really covering the moderate price mixer market.)

4 Likes

I am interested in the L-8. It is battery powered and a smaller, more portable size. It can record to SD, has 4 headphone outs, and can be used as an interface for the computer. And the price of $399 seems pretty reasonable.

1 Like

for me, the question now is:
L-8 or R24 ? both are 8-track.

Any SD Card size & speed recommendations for the L-20 :)?

I’m looking at the R8 as the only miniature 24-bit multitrack recorder around. The L8 is a bit too big for me, and the Tascam are only 16-bit.

There’s so much great stuff that’s almost there!

2 Likes