LiveTrak digital mixer & recorders (L-8, L-12, L-20) from Zoom

This seems interesting:

Anybody else think this might fit an application for them? At $600 it seems affordable, but for me it’s still a solution seeking a problem.

ADDED: I broadened out the title to include other Zoom mixers, as people are posting them to this thread anyways.

4 Likes

I wish this did more than 4 tracks out via USB. Would rather go Soundcraft or Presonus. Still some cool features though.

2 Likes

Just save $900 more and get a Qu Pac :smiley:

2 Likes

I thought it was cool until I realized there are no sends or inserts. Still saving up that extra $900.

1 Like

Page 31 of the manual explains how it’s possible to get 5 different aux sends. It’s kinda too bad you have to use the faders to set the levels for each channel in those different send mixes - plenty of modal interface issues with this approach. I’ll be finding this out for myself later this week when mine arrives … I expect that it’ll make me miss my SoundCraft 12MTK (had to sell during a big move) less and will tick all the boxes I considered getting a QuPac for.

Yeah, I was pretty bummed by this. Shame as its an excellent mixer feature wise in every other area.

Am still weighing up the pros/cons between the L-12 and a USB Behringer/Soundcraft combined with a Tascam/Zoom recorder (with balanced inputs).

• Pros: multitrack recording, small footprint, single piece of kit
  • Cons: pricier, no dedicated FX sends, only tweak a single input at once

Still a decent amount of features for the £$€…

really like mine. only issues are cheap feeling plastic parts (but on the other hand this + its compact size allows for easy carrying), very easily clipped inputs (absolutely need to attenuate modular signals before going in), and the mildly frustrating UX for aux sends and pan and eq per channel.

however, it’s awesome for multitrack recording - I’m capturing a lot more material from jams now that I don’t have to involve my computer at all - and I realized the other day that the 5 aux sends are all stereo, so you can actually set this up to be 10 mono sends with insert cables :smiley:

Nice… How does the low end/bass sound in your recordings? I have a low tech Zoom recorder (H2N) with a line in, and the bass basically gets wiped out in recordings.

I haven’t noticed any loss of low end frequencies in my recordings ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Excellent, thanks!

1 Like

Just saw that Zoom brings out a bigger model, called L-20. It has 20 channels (16 mono plus 2x2 sterio).
Perfect for those who wants to work DAWles.

2 Likes

Are you sure about this? All my VCAs have a gain knob, that in fact are attenuattors, and I have zero problems to go from them to an MAudio NRV10 mixer or my RME FF400 soundcard. My VCAs are a Doepfer A132-3 dual VCA and a Happy Nerding 3xVCA.
I am thinking in buying a Zoom L12 to record my modular jams, and this detail is important.

sounds like you’re all good with those VCAs then

Have you tried to create a send fx bus for external FX units? I’m tempted to buy the big version (L20), the only thing that hold’s me back, is the lack of a real Aux send/return connections.
Is it easy to set up a recording session? Would you recommend it?

You can set up the headphone outputs as auxes, and each of them is stereo (or dual mono if you pan two channels), so even the L12 has a lot of aux sends. For returns just use spare input channels.

I would also say that recording is easy to set up.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, exactly what i was hoping for!
Can’t wait to get one :slight_smile:

Hey Kari –

So for more channels than the L-12. Yes the Zoom LiveTrak L-20 $1000. But compare also with two other similar products. It’s nice to have mixers like this that are also fairly wide audio interfaces.

The Tascam Model 24 $1000

The Presonus StudioLive AR22 USB $700

I’d pick the Tascam out of this list, but i’d have to look more carefully before i made a guess with real money.

1 Like

oh, that Tascam looks sweet. the look and the specs are on point.

i think i need it

1 Like

Thanks a lot Jukka!
I will do some additional research, but the TASCAM Model 24 looks like the perfect solution.

What i like about the zoom is the ability to record with 96kHz. But in this mode, the EQ and the internal effects are deactivated.
And most of my gear doesn’t even have such a high sample rate. Only the Virus would benefit from this.
I‘m not even sure if i would be able to hear the difference between 96kHz and 48kHz.

I know this isn’t really relevant, but the the Model 24 looks so good! They all have a nice design, but the TASCAM is a real eye-catcher!

1 Like

Pretty obvious Tascam have been very inspired by the AR22. Then again how much innovation in mixer design/layout is there to be had?

Tascam Model 24 being able to capture 24 tracks to SD card without hooking up computer, with such a well spec’d mixer definitely makes it stand-out, the Presonus needs a computer to multi-track.

Prefer the manual controls for each channel on the AR22/M24 compared to the Zoom L-20.

All 3 offer a lot of mixing capabilities in a relatively small foot print.

1 Like