Zoë Mc Pherson

Hadn’t had such blast discovering a new artist for a long time, thank you all!

5 Likes

Just saw that she‘s live on refugeworldwide.com today.

can confirm zoes a really nice/cool/down to earth person who knows their shit and also knows how to break rules/conventions in a “wow, i…didnt know you were allowed to do that and it’s totally awesome” way

met at an arts festival last year, we had a 3h vodka fueled jam with a few other people. they asked to check out my digitakt during it, i showed them a few things but quickly got the feeling i was mansplaining a LOT and just ducked out of the way while they freaked it into some crazy polyrhythmic madness, and i layered in some shit on OT/DN. it was super fucking fun and im a fan of them since!

also caught their set at berghain garten last summer on ableton+modular, lots of super unsynced elements that somehow just… worked together? my brain and body were very confused in a good way.

go zoë!

(*edited cause i forgot zoes pronouns.)

5 Likes

Same here, really good find, such a singular music!

2 Likes
1 Like

An album is due on March 3, looking forward!

1 Like

6 Likes

love that. She sounds like a sort of deadpan scottish Tunde Adebimpe… in a good way.

1 Like

I’m embarrassingly overenthusiastic about this album
It’s really great

what’s the album called? Cant see any info r.e a new one.

Pitch Blender
It was released yesterday
LyingDalai posted the link above

1 Like

oh yeah. cheers. thought that was just a track.

1 Like

3 tracks in. Wow.
Edit: 2.

1 Like

To French people: they are playing on Thursday Sept. 14th 2023 at Scopitone festival, in Nantes. I’ll be there.
:man_dancing::dancer:

2 Likes

Count me in!

1 Like

Cool! First drink’s on me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Merde, I’m not in France at that moment.

I need to check her tour dates, because I’d really like to see her again!

Re: the video above, I think I like her live sets better

1 Like

I had totally forgotten that you were possibly there, sorry!

It was the hell of a show, last Thursday. “AV performance” rather than some half-improvised hardware show, but it was awesome nevertheless.
Alessandra Leone (on the left side of the stage) was displaying stunning graphics on the big screen (although I was eyes closed and dancing frenetically most of the time)
I was in transe very quickly and my attention never dropped for the whole show.
Each sound was clear and beautifully crafted, the show was full of energy, transitions were flawless, Zoë’s interventions felt very natural, and Lamella with Zoë on the mic was the peak, the crowd applauded with joy. I loved the d’n’b mangled with her industrial sounds.

Only regret is there weren’t any records for sale, I would have grabbed the Pitch Blender LP.

What a nice show, can’t wait to watch them again!

3 Likes

Oh I saw her last Friday in Vienna at https://unsafeandsounds.com/

Although excellent, I felt her show that night was not up to the one I saw in Graz last year. But then there was the discovery effect, probably.

And also she complained a bit about the sound in her monitors not being loud enough. It might have had a bad impact on her performance. And there were no visual artist accompanying her that night.

The show was still very good, but the other artists at Unsafeandsound were also really good - although there were no real big names beside her. So she didn’t stand out as much as last time I saw her (at Elevate festival).

1 Like

They seem to have 3 different ways of performing, according to their website:
◉ Live
◎ AV Show
☽ DJ set

What I’ve seen was the AV show, where they are kind of DJing with their own material I suppose. It’s very controlled.
What you’ve seen was the “Live” set. I would guess it’s more hardware-based, wasn’t it? More “unsafe”, which fits the event name :wink:

1 Like