Youtube and Iphone's

Camera technology in iphones(and android) has got so good it has meant everyone has a chance at creating a channel on youtube. And i mean everybody. Its great that everyone has a chance of being a celebrity. But the downside is shit uploads have gone to such astronomical levels that its become like a Poundland Store. One or two bargains and the rest just junk. Sometimes technology just gets in the way. Maybe its the same in music gear. I don’t know. Any thoughts?

1 Like

This is exactly how I do my thing. :zonked:

To elaborate more on the idea though, this is absolutely what I believed the platform was for in the beginning; People sharing videos of whatever.
It has grown to some ludicrous scale, and with that you are right. There’s a lot of not so great stuff as well as amazing content. Pretty wild place.

1 Like

Oops sorry. Im sure your one of the better one’s. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Uh…
Time may tell, or I’ll likely fade into obscurity again!

Same goes for gear imo. Stick with one and try to squeeze everything out of it until you know it as back of your hand.

Good musin can even done by an sole iPhone. It has many full featured DAWs in it with millions of synths etc. So, (in most cases) no one needs need that extra gear. At the end of the day if it sounds good, that means it’s a good music, it’s not because of the ‘good gear’.

(although I find myself checking on OT prices everyday lmao)

I have made a lot of crappy music that I put crappy video to in order to put it up on Youtube. I have littered it with audio poo.

no apologies and I will continue until I get better. it helps to be able to look back and hear things I hate and things that I forgot that I did that I liked. Most of it is crap, but… it won’t always be as long as I just keep working at it and trying to learn the process. Sometimes I am shocked at the number of dislikes and sometimes I’m shocked that someone liked something or made a comment.

My 40 subscribers are cool af… loyal people without the need for good sounding, polished, well composed music in their lives. True music fans if you ask me. May be 39 or 38 now… my last drop was more of a plop. But I’ll be recording something again on Sunday. Working on it now.

3 Likes

Would you rather arbitrary corporate appointees deciding what is good/acceptable or not? Sort of already happens tbh with the use of algorithms prioritizing of authoritative (corporate) and established channels, but I think it’s important to allow good and bad art to flow. What’s considered “bad” by the masses may be considered amazing as time passes.

2 Likes

My personal take, and this applies to most artistic endeavors that are tech reliant, is that it’s an acceptable side effect of the democratization of art brought on by an ever decreasing cost of entry. Yes, a smart phone is expensive but you don’t need to have the newest iPhone to make a YouTube video and in the modern world you probably need one anyway just to have a job. Plus it’s still cheaper than a suite of video equipment that you’re afraid to leave the house with.
Think of how many great records might have come out back in the day if bands didn’t have to convince some suit in an office to spend thousands on studio time to record them.
Seems like the worst thing this does is create a lot of content we can just elect not to consume.
Edit: sorry if this is rambling, I’m still under caffeinated.

1 Like

Hehe. I was over caffeinated when i went on the rant. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good point. I certainly hate corporate. So im with you. But both are shite in their own way.

1 Like

Music i dont have such a problem with. Its the news media review stuff i was aiming at.

holy crap yeah some of those are awful. i recently started to look at Norwegian metal and really liked a lot of it, but as I was digging into it I saw some Mayhem reaction videos that were hilariously bad. Bad information followed by looks of disbelief, then them ranting for a few minutes.

Some of the hardware reviews / tutorials have been very helpful, some not so much

Reaction videos I could well do without. Like 14 year old girl reacts to Pink Floyd for the first time. I mean who gives a xxxx

2 Likes

So this is before Pink went solo? So you better get this party started…

3 Likes

maybe some old stoned pedophile