Your Tips for Scene & Performance Modes

What is sample rate? I can’t find this setting on the sample page.

One more technique to try out - put triggers with zero level/velocity. With perf/scene modes assign desired level/velocity to that triggers. With different scene/perf modes combination and accurate assignment of that silenced triggers it is possible to program interesting variations with one kit and one pattern.[/quote]
For tape stops, I imagine he meant sample “tune”, which is effectively “speed” aka rate.
Not the lofi sample rate reduction style.

2 Likes

What is sample rate? I can’t find this setting on the sample page.

One more technique to try out - put triggers with zero level/velocity. With perf/scene modes assign desired level/velocity to that triggers. With different scene/perf modes combination and accurate assignment of that silenced triggers it is possible to program interesting variations with one kit and one pattern.[/quote]
For tape stops, I imagine he meant sample “tune”, which is effectively “speed” aka rate.
Not the lofi sample rate reduction style.[/quote]
Yup thats what I meant sorry!

Figured I would post this here as well…

For scenes with an external midi controller, midi cc92’s velocities of 1-12 will trigger that respective scene number, so for example you could set up an external pad to cc92 with note on/off to a pad with a velocity of 1 to trigger scene 1.

2 Likes

Here’s my latest…

In my quest to emulate a good techno Dj bass kill (usually a high pass filter), I found that using a Scene to change a filter mode to HPF on a kick got a lot of clicking behavior.
Whenever the kick already has a HPF, the resonance is usually up for a low frequency bump, so a scene shift on that didn’t come across smooth either…

So, here’s my solution for emulating a HPF kick kill with a Scene without fussing with the filter… Trim BD synth decay, trim BD synth hold, pitch BD tune 12 steps up.
The result is similar in effect, as the attack and key are retained.

Turn off the scene to bring the kick rumble back, and it’s like everybody hit the lottery at the same time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Doh!
Excellent idea!
Dub dub dub…

2 Likes

Was just thinking the same thing while reading this thread…
I don’t think it’s possible at this time… but imagine the possibilities with that:
assign a pad to play different roll retrigger values based on pad pressure… equals MAD roll variations! Hello Squarepusher!
They have got to implement that in the next update IMO

1 Like

…see…sometimes it’s better not to have a manual with all the specs…months of work just gone into the bin!!! :sob: :smiley: :alien: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m feeling very neglectful of the really cool performance features of the Rytm. I’m drawing blanks when it comes to programming them, I don’t know what to change(I’m also lousy with the perf mode of the A4 and the scenes on the OT.

Anybody open to dropping some knowledge bombs on me?

I’m the same on perf mode and knobs. I haven’t used either yet because I’m too lazy to set them up. In cases where you’re doing pitch, they would be useful since it let’s you set a specific value rather than just around for it.

For drums play with the envelope times and bit rate and effect sends. You might get lucky with pitch and sample volume.

For synth, try cutoff, distortion and filter envelope amount. Also filter decay and arp release. I like distortion to the left usually.

My standard sound design approach is to get where I want to be then turn every setting back and forth to see what gives good tweaking. Then assign those to lfo s. I would think a similar approach would be good for scenes and perf knobs.

2 Likes

I’ll give those things a go! Thank you very much!

I also have been struggling with adding perf macros to my kits.

An external faderbox is a great way to use em, but ATM I prefer using turbo mode with my elektrons which prevents this.

Excellent buildups can be made with an ext faderbox controlling a few perf macros and the AR’s UI on mute mode :thup:

1 Like

What fadebox are you working with?

One of the ways I setup a performance macro knob on AK (or scene on OT) is to take a particular sound you are using in your pattern, and tweak it in a number of ways until it sounds quite different, even like a new sound altogether, but still viable in the same track with the same notes. Then you setup the macro knob to make those exact tweaks at the end of the macro knob - since you can set the range of variation (like cutoff from 90-103 or something really specific) and if its positive or negative etc. The idea is that when the macro knob is totally at zero, you have your original sound, then after you have turned the knob 100% you have the new sound. Then, you usually have some funky transitions and other variations that automatically happen between that range of 0 -100… it doesnt always work out but I find it does more often than not.

3 Likes

Using a launch control XL at the moment. It requires a USB to DIN MIDI host box (like the kenton box or bomebox) in between though. Some people have been recommending the faderfox controllers, as they are easy to reprogram and have DIN MIDI out as standard, so depending on your preferences, that might be a better choice. Personally I prefer the larger form factor of the LCXL.

I was the same way at first, but now I am spending a lot of time working on Scene and Performance modes. They’re easy to make and there are so many options.

I come from an analog synth background, so I always use the standard tricks: Filter sweep, play with resonance, LFO shape and speed, envelopes and pitch. All of those can be set up to individual Performance pads simply controlling one parameter per pad. Then you use the pads kinda like playing a real analog synth, but no knobs. or sliders, just pads. Kinda awesome for synthy sounds more than drum sounds.

Not every sound needs the full treatment. Sometimes just a little change of filter works well for some sounds. Other times it’s fun to use Perf pads to tweak a sound to something completely different than the original sound. For that, I like changing delay time, lfo depth, sample start time, or lfo destination to sample (can get really weird, but controllable with planning). Cool thing about Perf is the transition from one sound to another, and also the fact that you can freeze the pad position. That alone is a great way to easily and endlessly vary one kit. EDIT: This method works best if you assign each perf pad to it’s respective sound. Tweak a few parameters on each sound and you really have a ton of variety.

Scene is really good for note or key changes when the pattern stays the same. I made a project using one drum beat with bass line I use a lot and made the scenes all different keys. Same beat, but different keys allows me to jam wth other people easier and faster which is part of why I bought this thing. You can also use Scenes for slight effect changes. Works great when you want a “partial” mute on a sound. I really like tweaking the delay time with Scenes. If you’ve ever used a delay pedal you’ll know what it’s like to turn the time knob while a sound is going. That sound plus pumping up a bass part is something I’m using lately. Lots of possibilities.

Now that I’m comfortable with them, I program Perf pads almost simultaneously with the sounds themselves. I also like to make my Scenes work well with the Perfs I make. Finally, try copying them from one project to another. Some wild stuff can happen that you might not otherwise think of! Try it.

9 Likes

This is the next step for me. Same on the A4. All in all it folds into just being a lot more care taken with sounds, kits and macros. I’ve tended to rely on Kits mostly for everything, switching them up per pattern, doing little of anything else. I can’t help but feel that full attention given to those areas would really help lock off a track for live shows as well as just being a more finished project in general.

For perf mode… i love these…

Hh decay (And slightly lower vol)
Kick vol off…

Fx del fb
Fx send rev from del
Fx rev dec
Fx rev freq (dont know the right word)

Sends from sounds to del or rev

For scene mode…
I loop and adjust start stop of samples (edit: and turn on loop mode)
I adust vol to take away or add some sounds…
I experiment and create new kind of tention of the same loop
I make breaks with different te tentions (and overdo some filters for self oscilating filters)
I lfo the vol of the rev tail on different pads with different sin freqs…

9 Likes

Check this live feed @Ryan, I’m explaining some FX modulation and the masking technique using the Performance Macros on the Rytm (3:45). It starts with pretty simple stuff and then it gets more advanced later.

live Facebook feed

2 Likes

On the RYTM I use to switch sample slot, start /end, loop on /off can be powerful.

In Performance mode i turn one filter up , the others down, to emphasized a certain element.
I change FX parameters and LFO depth for those parameters also. Tuning can work wonders.I even use that as performance mode, not as scene, so i can gradually send the reverb to the clap, just to spice things up now and then.
Another one is for the reverb time, i can manually set it with the performance knob, and give tail if i want to. /Same for delay exaggeration.
Also LFO destination can be adjusted with a scene :slight_smile: I also have a scene where i cut down the bass from a lot of things, but not completly - so you still hear the drums, but miss the “umph”. Techno is about teasing, making your listener wanting that a certain element comes back.
If you are good at it, you can surprise, and generate tension.

In general its a good idea to turn one thing up, and another down with the performance macro. To make room for that element. (Turning one cutoff high, means turning another one low, so spectrum keeps clear , same for volume , etc.)

On the A4 i blend in the sub oscillator, or LFO depth, and multiplier at the same time. (Works good on long notes.)

General rule: more experimenting less forum reading, works also wonders. (Ok i fail this often enough, but a little remainder for myself to get back to tweaking.)

6 Likes

No computer in the room i mAke music works very well… but tnx for your input