Your Tips for Scene & Performance Modes

Hello,

I just startet to create my “Standart Kit”, which I want to use as a Startkit for the future. Now I’m thinking about how to program the 12 Scenes and performance-pads…
Of course I use the pads correspondending to the Sounds. For example in Perf.Mode I press Pad2 to send the Snare into the Delay.
How do you use the Pads ? What are your favourite Perf/Scenes ?

Thanx for inspiration !!

tm

4 Likes

My scene and performance setup is by far not complete (looking forward to reading suggestions in this thread), but what I found out to be very useful are:

• performance macros that scroll through sample chains (STRT and END with identical offsets)

• scenes that switch the filters of bass-heavy sounds to highpass or bandpass filters with about 45 cutoff frequency to cut lows

• scenes that select only the sample side or only the synthesis side of some of the sounds.

7 Likes

I have a midi faders (JL Cooper FaderMaster) assigned to the Performance CC#s. This way I can dial them in right where I like and have Performance multiple parameters frozen in very specific places, and also have access to Scene Mode pads at the same time.

I started by assigning the pads as they correspond to sounds, as you mentioned, but quickly decided to lay things out differently with pads assigned for Performance/Scene in succession to when they get used as the patterns in the kit develop. I.e. starting at bottom left with song intro variations and working to top right. On my faders, this is working from left to right.

My “songs” are actually 4 pattern variations that get jammed out live with scene/performance/mute and other trickery.

8 Likes

i often use it for shut tracks by decreasing the level by groups.
i often use it to send sounds to delay or reverb in dubstyle!

1 Like

Cool Tips so far.
Hope there is comming more…

THANX !!!

Cool Tip in Perf.Mode:

Use one pad to send a track into the delay
Use the second pad to give more feedback on the delay
Use a third pad to modulate the delay-time.
Play with all three pads at the same time…

Have fun !!

11 Likes

I found useful to use Scene modes to program mute-patterns, like 1st scene mutes 1st, 5th, 8th and 10th pad, 2nd scene mutes 2nd, 3rd, 7th and 9th pad, and so on.
With perfomance mode it is interesting to assign sample start or sample selection from the sample pool on the pad and jam with it. It would be great if Elektron will implement in the future updates sample start point selection with performance mode with different user-selectable divisions of 2,4,6,8, 10 for samples chain of 60, 30, 20, 15, 12 samples respectively…
Please provide your own expirience with Scenes and Perfomance programming technics! Looking forward to try them out!

6 Likes

Interesting topic. Some good ideas here already.
I found a good use for scenes on a melodic sample like a chord or vocal ect was to set up a few scenes with tuning that sample for jamming with the transposition.

1 Like

@lindhyrst, why not use the chromatic mode for this ?
I have much fun with it :slight_smile:

I have much fun with it :)[/quote]
Two different things really. More thought for transposing an already played/programmed sequence. Give you this instant old school sampling feel.
But yeah chromatic mode is great as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. I have been doing this one for some time. Great for changing the mood on the fly. +- an octave on 2 scenes is also good for “punching in” some fun variation live. I started doing that after the last TB-3 firmware update came with a sequence randomize mode that only randomized octaves, accents, and slides. Otherwise, the notation remained the same.

2 Likes

+1

I like bringing elements in and out of the fold via Performance mode. So I’ll set to perf. all drums’ (bd, sd, whatever) yolume and bring it out slowly, leaving perf mode (and the tracks thusly muted). When I’m ready to bring them back I’ll make sure to press on the pad hard before going back in to perf. mode and then slowly easing the pressure.

+1

I like bringing elements in and out of the fold via Performance mode. So I’ll set to perf. all drums’ (bd, sd, whatever) yolume and bring it out slowly, leaving perf mode (and the tracks thusly muted). When I’m ready to bring them back I’ll make sure to press on the pad hard before going back in to perf. mode and then slowly easing the pressure. [/quote]
Cool idea! Basically having fades at your fingertips…

Just an FYI - In my quest to find a midi controller for the AR, I discovered the OT is kind of the perfect solution. The OT is an awesome controller for the AR.

After you’ve set up your midi controller number/mapping on the OT, just remember to save the PART on the OT and you can dial in some great scene performances. - Get crazy with it then hit RELOAD on the OT and you have an instant Machinedrum CNTL-ALL feature!!!

Good stuff

8 Likes

+1

I like bringing elements in and out of the fold via Performance mode. So I’ll set to perf. all drums’ (bd, sd, whatever) yolume and bring it out slowly, leaving perf mode (and the tracks thusly muted). When I’m ready to bring them back I’ll make sure to press on the pad hard before going back in to perf. mode and then slowly easing the pressure. [/quote]
Cool idea! Basically having fades at your fingertips…[/quote]
Aye. Too bad we don’t have CNTRL-All.
I’m thinking if getting a bcr2000 to control (among other things) the AR.
An OT would be incredible. No cash though. :frowning:
I like using Perf to “sully” with overdrive/bitcrush too. Dirty.

I can confirm this fact, fun to be had with the Octatrack at the controls of the RYTM.

4 Likes

Woah… Need to try this… Cheers!

1 Like

I have much fun with it :)[/quote]
Two different things really. More thought for transposing an already played/programmed sequence. Give you this instant old school sampling feel.
But yeah chromatic mode is great as well :-)[/quote]
I see : if one means to transpose a few tracks at the same time, the chromatic mode is not doing the job !
So your idea is definitely interesting, I must say :+1:

Great thread! I’ve been enjoying assigning sample rate to the performance pages for tape stops.

Is there a way to assign retriggers to these modes?

1 Like

What is sample rate? I can’t find this setting on the sample page.

One more technique to try out - put triggers with zero level/velocity. With perf/scene modes assign desired level/velocity to that triggers. With different scene/perf modes combination and accurate assignment of that silenced triggers it is possible to program interesting variations with one kit and one pattern.

1 Like