Your setups [ 10k Archive]

I love it. It’s dead simple to use and sounds amazing. It’s a great contrast to the deep, menu-diving elektrons.

TBH, I hate the whole purist thing around the 303 sound… it’s the antithesis of the whole acid/303 culture which was born out of making something new by “misusing” a (at the time) cheap, failed synth.

The history of 303 techno is pretty “punk” if you ask me, and there’s nothing “punk” about the whole purist / hifi snob scene.

8 Likes

I with you there my man.
I got jumped on by a couple of them for extolling the virtues of the MAM! If it works and sounds good, who gives a tinker’s cuss?
Foe £100 I suggest anyone who fancies a bit a absolute, instant acid, dive right in.

new set up. Well either i get bored every 4 yearsor their is just so much good gear coming out…
took out the tempest replaced it was two prophet 6’s and a OB6. had to sell a bunch of pedals and some other small synths for new set up.

12 Likes

Love the look of that Toft. I’ve been tempted by one of those for many, many years.

Damn you are one of those people that don’t make a choice and go ‘all of the above’ lol…

1 Like

Totally worth it

1 Like

Double RYTM!

2 Likes

Double Prophet!:smiley_cat:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call it “necessary” :wink:

BUT … :smiley:

Modular synths are the most versatile electronic instruments I know. We can either buy a pre-configured system or configure one by ourself. How the sound is created and how it’s shaped and modulated is totally up to us. There are so many individual ways and so many options today to set-up and use modular synths that it takes some time to sit down and to develop an idea, where to go. It’s freedom pure. We can go East-Coast, go West-Coast, combine both, we can use analogue circuitry and combine it with modules having digital technology at their core … and … and … and …

One thing you might know already … this freedom has it’s price. As an example, there are no “factory-presets”, at least not in the sense, we are used from most “keyboard” or “desktop” synths. We have to program the synth by wiring our way through the modules, which are supposed to create the sound and the support for our performance. Some knowledge or good advice about how to configure a modular synth is important too, to get a cohesive instrument and not only a loose collection of interesting modules.

Well … and have some money in your pocket to spend. :wink: The single module might not seem to be too expensive, but at the end of the day there are some modules needed to built a decent synth and there are so many interesting modules, which cry out to be checked … :wink:

One thing guaranteed … much fun, a live-time full of creative inspiration, sound, and music … and sometimes other people wondering about you, what you are doing, and what the heck this mess of all those wires, and knobs, and lights is supposed to do, and how you can manage all this chaos :wink:

1 Like

Been studio less for 3 years since my youngest came along (who would have thought he wanted is own bedroom?)

Was getting all my stuff out each night when everyone had gone to bed in my living room.

Just moved house and have a room back. It feels great to have a perm setup again.

21 Likes

Mega!

same boat here, just moved the studio into our bedroom since the wife didn’t like it in the living room. :-/

1 Like

You’ll get square eyes!

:wink:

Ha ha. Yes, it’s from the living room set-up. Got a new TV so saved me having to buy a new monitor

I’ve been busy with wood, nails and screws, modular cases, collecting eurorack modules, others in backup, reorganising … and again :wink:

Still waiting for some modules … for months now

In the meanwhile, having fun testing and puzzling :thinking:

10 Likes

More sequencers is more fun :wink:
Still waiting for my ER101/102 combo to arrive… blind panels will mark the spot

9 Likes

Code red! Someone has infiltrated the Doepfer base! Intruder alert!

Edit - thought you’d start a new case for non-doepfer stuff. but hey, at least they’re silver! :wink:

2 Likes

This was a fun setup. Haven’t done it since 2013 now.

13 Likes

My setup,

Have just moved so more room treatment to come.

3 Likes

Nice setup, do you use any subwoofer with the genelecs?