Your setups [ 10k Archive]

I have that same desk, but I never thought of adding sliding drawers and shelves to it. That looks great!

Yeah man. They’re invaluable. I got them off Jet.com for like $50.

1 Like

My like goes to the complete kalvin & hobbes collection. :smiley:

4 Likes

:slight_smile:

Check out Eric Lanham - Louisville/Lexington cat (living in FL now) but doing amazing stuff with ‘just’ the OT :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks. I will :blush:

That’s the rta desk isn’t it?

What are the sticky out bits on the bottom left and right mate?

I have the same desk. Do you have any issues with the rails being drilled incorrectly?

This is a common issue with the RTA stuff and probably one of the reasons it’s so cheap. I’ve owned two of these Producer Stations and have found that the biggest problem with them is that they are very, very particular about precise alignment during assembly. The trouble is that they allow no ‘wiggle room’ at all between rack units, so there is no room at all for mis-alignment. This is particularly problematic with gear like rack-mounted CD players or some of the old Roland MKS units that have a sort of ‘lip’ extending from the front panel. Ditto for MOTU gear which has screwed on rack ears that are not always perfectly parallel to the front panel. Also, some of the rack rails are sometimes not at perfect right angles to the tubular supports. Again, because there is no wiggle room, this can put the rails out of alignment.

I’ve made it a practice to install rack panels or expendable rack gear into them when assembling them to help keep things lined up as best as possible, but it’s never perfect. I also find that I sometimes have to slightly unscrew every piece above or below a space into which I am inserting a new piece of equipment to make sure it all fits, and then tightening it all down again once I have it aligned. Definitely a case of getting what we paid for - and little else!

2 Likes

Ditto and ditto!

Mate my ones have screw holes in the rails that are too close to get four screws in!

I’d love to have the issue with kit being too close!

In the end I bought a few of the trays from Thomann which are pretty light, and are sturdy enough to hold a few wires/manuals, and sold off the rack kit.

Ouch! Funny, I was just taking a photo for an article I’m writing and it captured the problem perfectly with two matching Emagic Unitor interfaces not quite fitting in two spaces. :unamused:

1 Like

Haha it’s crazy isn’t it. However without being able to use rack mount kit (well, without putting in new rails), I’ve been forced to just have lovely desktop units!
Every cloud and all that :wink:

1 Like

It certainly beats crawling behind that desk to cable up a bunch of rack gear! (something I’ll be doing myself this weekend)

1 Like

Those are three of the best and most important books in my life and should be required reading for everyone!

1 Like

My biggest issue is that sometimes the holes on the rails themselves aren’t always spaced properly. Besides that, I’ve had the desk for almost 10 years and through 4-5 moves and it still serves me perfectly. When we move again, I plan on using it as an extra desk and I’m going to (hopefully) build a custom desk to really work with my setup.

1 Like

2 0-Coasts? I’m jealous. I’d love to have more of them. It’s probably my favorite sound generator at the moment.

3 Likes

But what are those things on the left and right? Look like trays?

I was going to go custom, but I became overwhelmed with the choices and was finding it difficult to decide on other factors because of that, so plumped for the rta. Wicked id gone the other way sometimes. Cest la vie

Sliding rack drawers. They’re awesome.

2 Likes

Ditto on the American Psycho book too!

They hold the answer to pretty much everything, for sure.

1 Like