Your setups [ 10k Archive]

Thanks!

Qunexus goes into the OT, and from there gets routed to the Rytm, Monomachine, Biscuit (when using Der Oto mode), and any of my analog modules I hook up on occasion. I’m only using it to enter note data into the various sequencers… I should really take advantage of its more complex features.

Oh yeah so are you using a USB to midi converter with it then?

Yeah, I have the KMI Midi Expander. Only one though, so I just unplug the USB cable from the Qunexus and into the Soft Step when I want to use that, which I only use to trigger recording on the OT when playing guitar or singing, so it works.

The Qunexus is a really great portable keyboard and I never worry about it breaking when I toss it in a bag with other stuff. Its pads allow me to do some really fast percussive style playing that I can’t do with a traditional keyboard.

2 Likes

Been a lot of change in my set-up lately. Trying to keep it simple, kinda!, Monomachine as sequencer and drum machine, Mininova, Microbrute, O Coast, occasionally iPad and soon my modular handling everything else. XR12 for mixing, effects and recording stereo mix.

3 Likes

Got no real set-up…
Play and combine stuff to my mood, which can go from acid to strange drones.

This pic shows my modular side of the too small mancave

j

6 Likes

This is it more or less, though I just sold the Steinberg CC121 since it was sitting a bit too much to justify it taking up the space, and I did add a second 27" monitor. I never seem to be satisfied with it, but the rack spaces in the desk are awesome for rack mounted pull-out trays. It has 4RU per side, a real lifesaver.

It’s all running from a Mac Pro trashcan, Ableton and Cubase with the Komplete Kontrol S61 and Push 2. The only outboard gear is the Analog Four and Analog Rytm (but I’m waiting for the Analog Heat!)

I’ll probably change the orientation again in a month, I tend to overthink this stuff quite a bit. :wink:

2 Likes

The recording/mix side of my cave

2 Likes

How do you like the presonus mixer? I missed out on a great deal on one not to long ago, but it only does FireWire and that turned me off a bit!

I think it’s versatile clean mixer with total recall and compressors on every channel.
I don’t use the FireWire however.

1 Like

Yup Zaor Miza desk and a Zaor griprack

no cables?

Ofcourse there are cables … but I keep it tidy :innocent:

This is my live setup, on which I improvise ambient and soundscapes (have a listen here). The keyboards and NanoKontrol go into a USB hub and from there into an iConnect MIDI interface, from where the signals from the leftmost keyboard and NanoKontrol go to the Octatrack, whereas the middle and right keyboards control the 200e. Octatrack is used for live looping and sampling.

16 Likes

Can you map the nano control parameters yourself to set them up to control the octatrack? Does it offer enough hands on compared to the novation launch control xl? Nice gear btw, eurorack is interesting but a looks a little overwhelming to me. Then again I thought that of the octatrack until I dove in.

Bought a keyboard stand and put my mended DX7 onto it, then I put a midi cable from it into the Octatrack as the master keyboard. So happy!

7 Likes

@VDB: Thanks – yes, each of the nanoKontrol’s controls can be mapped to any MIDI controller you like via a little editor app. Never looked the Novation Launch Control XL though, as it is way too large for what I need:
(a) I just need 16 controls (not more) to have hands-on control of the Octatrack’s Master and Cue levels (OT Cue configuration is set to Studio Mode). I do not use the nanoKontrol’s push buttons.
(b) The controller had to be roughly the same size as the Akai LPK25 keyboard (and the same weight), so that I can mount them all together.

The trouble with modular synths is not their complexity IMHO (as long as you start small & slow), but that they generate GAS more quickly & addicitve than anything else.

1 Like

Nothing compares to the raw signal a modular rig can produce but the options are overwhelming and the price can quickly get out of control. My good friend just scored a few mutable instruments modules and he did a performance for me. I was blown away by the tones and flexibility. I’m just not ready to go down that road.

2 Likes

I started a year and a half with modular.
This is the mother of synthesis.
It’s an endless adventure, so much fun and never the same.

3 Likes

I’d been shying away from buying & building a dedicated work desk… I cant believe i waited this long. This is my synth setup… Les Paul, Yamaha and amps are in the living room!

Behind the headphones is iConnectMidi4+ … which by the way doesn’t work in Mac Sierra yet :no_mouth:

I use Apollo Quad UAD and you can see the macbook pro on a stand on the right…

2 Likes

Love it, but where’s you keyboard?