Your setups [ 10k Archive]

Here’s my setup. I traditionally have been a computer based composer. Initially Cubase, and more recently Ableton Live. I’ve been doing much more hardware-based composing lately. Mostly on :3lektron: gear. I often do mixes for friends and record the occasional small band. I’ve learned that having a dedicated room/space is key to getting anything done for me. With that, I set aside a small bedroom in my house for music. I enjoy it.

My mixing position. When I’m actually mixing, the :elan:Keys gets moved aside and the BCF2000 comes into play with Push. I have two sets of monitors because the tiny room makes it hard for things to translate elsewhere. The Mackie Big Knob is key for my monitoring.

This is my live practice / hardware composition table. Ergonomics are a constant struggle, but I feel like this is pretty close. Works well if I am standing or sitting, and feels good even after a long session. I wish I could find some way to get the :elan: Keys to work on the same table, but I haven’t found a way that is comfortable. In a live setup, I’d just throw a keyboard stand next to the table. Now just to get some material out there to get people interested in a show…

This is my stand up groove-box jam space that works in conjunction with the live table. Honestly, 70% of the time I’m either over here for the ion or the SL 37. Also pictured is my Fender Jaguar bass. I love that bass. I use a SansAmp RPM to bring it into everything, and it’s a good time to play lines and jam with all the machines. Usually with whisky.

Things I need to do are add some sound absorption/diffusion, get some mood lighting or candles, get more totems (dolls, etc), and tidy up cables. All in all, though it’s a decent space. I can come in and get something real fun happening in fifteen minutes. Not pictured are a bunch of cables, microphones, stands, noisemakers, etc.

Again, a dedicated space is key for me, and having everything ready to go is a big part of that. Anyway, fun thread!

8 Likes

HA HA!
For the time being my wife jumped ship, so I bought a new case a moved everything to the living room till I relocate.
Time to practice at full tilt.

5 Likes

Sick fucking set up!
I’d ditch the modular tho.

3 Likes

Have you heard what he does with the modular? I hope @nedavine never stops using modular. Serious skills there, and he was a big inspiration for me to get into it myself.

3 Likes

I have, I’m just being silly.

2 Likes

That jag bass… <3

3 Likes

My little live and composition setup. Sometimes I tinker with MAX and I have an Analog 4 (which I’ve never really figured out how to integrate without feeling over the top) and OP1 (which I only bring in if I’m singing) and then have a Rhodes, Juno 60, and some guitar/bass stuff for composing more traditional ‘songs’. But this feels right lately. Compact and functional with endless possibilities. Anything more in a live setting feels unnecessary and sort of goofy since I only have 2 hands, 2 feet, and 1 brain :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What’s that little box next to the octatrack?

I do believe its a Xiwi Matrix Mixer.

2 Likes

Yep, the little Xiwi has allowed/forced me to restrict my approach even more, but I crave compact and some sort of elegance (that’s how I think about it anyway). So I’ve ditched my Mackie 1202 for live performance. For my more pop approach I’ll probably bring it back, but for instrumental jams, I’m very happy with this setup :slight_smile:

Hello guys ! That’s my wavetable in 2015 ready for coffeetime, headphones (Beyer custom one pro and Ultrasone Pro900) and tweaking… just audio to plug :joy:
I will post my homestudio updated soon as I sold my MachineDrum, my Nordrum, my virus snow and MOTU 828x, Maschine Studio too… and replace with :

• Roli Seabord + equator
  • TT303 + Boss BluesDriver BD2
  • Norddrum 2
  • HPD20 to get my percs performance the way I intend to
  • iPad + Animoog and Granular sampler + Roland Duo Capture
  • iConnect Audio+ for Audio and Midi (and iPad aux processing)
  • Focal CMS50 + Focal CMS Sub for Monitoring
  • Electrovoice 12PA for get immersed me in tracks when I need it sometimes
  • iMac 21 + Ableton + reason + UAD2 Duo for Production-finnishing purpose
  • Mixing for Live purpose I use Behringer X18 with iPad Air
  • Sync covered by Overbridge or Sync Gen II Pro (depend)

3 Likes

My very compact setup. So compact that it can fit into a bag pack quite nicely with everything in its box. I’ve been channeling my inner Basinski tonight with the sound on sound feature of the El Capistan and letting my loops die over a loooooong time, adding a few notes here and there as well as snippets of radio to keep it going.

I love that setup and don’t feel like I miss anything for now (like I did without the reverb and delay). I am still lusting after an A4 but I’ve bought all this in a matter of months so now is the time to let the credit card chill and enjoy the huge depth of possibilities the OP1 plus these two gigantic stompboxes offer. The Gelelecs are the latest addition and I absolutely love them, great great sound for such tiny speakers and the bass tilt option is very valuable to me given the rather enclosed desk I have.

Way too many cables though.

3 Likes

Keep moving stuff around to try to get everything to hand. Still a load of gear on another table that I might sell because I seem to get more done with less gear.

14 Likes

10 Likes

Nice. Is that a shed?

bungalow

Gotcha

Whats that stand you are using for the push?

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/SDC-PUSHSTAND

2 Likes

Hello all
Can you elaborate on thé utility of your passive mixer???
If you had à MD, some pedal and some monosynth, would ypu préfère à Mackie 802 or this??
Is it mainly for noise artists or çan it have a more général usage??
Thanks for your advice, pretty curious about it