Your setups [ 10k Archive]

Seeing MDMnM’s three tier moog setup inspired me to share my own studio setup:

The three tier has a DFAM and Mother 32, and then a tier of modules: the Dixie II+ VCO, Sonic XV Diode Ladder Filter, Make Noise Maths, and AJH Ring SM mixer. Given the Maths can be used as an envelope, that works out as an additional voice from the modules.

On the shelf I have a Plankton ANTS! which is currently patched up so heavily, and a Korg SQ1. The ANTS! has midi to cv with two cv outputs as well. So along with the Mother-32 midi input I have something like 4 channels of midi to cv. Also on the shelf is a Motu Ultralite Mk 4, which has DC-coupled outputs. Underneath the shelf you can just see the pedal power ISO 5, so I can hook up effects pedals nearby. So I have some really deep integration options between my computer and my eurorack.

I don’t have a lot of hp in my eurorack but the ANTS! really packs a lot into a small form factor, so I have roughly 4-6 each of filters, VCOs, LFOs, envelopes overall.

For jamming and capturing ideas I use Maschine. With the Mk 3 + Jam + Komplete Kontrol M32 keyboard I don’t really need to look at my computer much, unless it’s do something I haven’t yet learnt to do with the controllers, which is more than I care to admit. That’s why the computer isn’t visible – it’s deliberately to one side and I try to only have the Motu Ultralite’s mixer visible on the computer screen, and focus just on the hardware. Maschine’s workflow is something of an odd fit for eurorack (compared to a DAW), given the emphasis on building up patterns rather than freeform midi/automation, but I find it helps me get to a musical idea very quickly. I tend to noodle aimlessly if I use eurorack on it’s own because I’m quite lazy with hardware sequencers in general. I find maschine sequencing very immediate. (Digitakt is also a joy to sequence but I use that when I’m away from the studio.)

So that’s my setup. Kinda crazy and I probably should have started smaller, but it’s a huge amount of fun, and I’m learning a lot every session, so for me it works great.

11 Likes

Not much smaller than mine: 3 synths, 3 fx, 1 mixer. I went through a lot of setups over the years, also including DAWs, and I ve never been as productive as with this compact hardware set. I d be lost in the large setups posted here. To each their own and to me it s extensive use of a limited set of tools.

(I have the circuit mono station too. Cool little box!)

1 Like

it really is an incredible synth. very simple, but also very powerful. and just a super gorgeous sound. on top of that, Vermona build quality is top-notch. I’d rate it above absolutely anything else of modern-day gear. it reminds me of the Roland synths from the 70’s that were just built like tanks. it breaks the “they don’t make them like they used to” adage.

1 Like

Well, that’s what i was looking for from a modern 2019 machine and the MPC Live is very close of being one…A couple of updates and it’s there!July is the next update month and something big is coming up according to Dan…
Really the menu shortcuts combo minimized menu diving for me and with some muscle memory can become second nature…Being working exclusively standalone btw…

1 Like

Same here, when I bought it. I thought with the direction I was going, I needed more horsepower in my live performance rig. At a certain point, I was doing “bigger” productions and the MPC Live was a way to get some of that in live sets while maintaining the real performance aspects instead of the “push a button and dance” thing.

I was talking with another electronic music guy this morning about this very topic and we agreed that so much of this depends on the individual and what “clicks”. The MPC Live came up and he was talking about a guy he knows at YouTube who does almost all of his production in the Live, in standalone, then maybe adds some mix/master polish in Ableton. This seems fairly common, but different for me because I was focused on the MPC for live performance.

The MPC Live is an astounding value for the money. I picked up a mint one used for $750 and certainly feel like I got more than my money’s worth.

Maybe “bloated workflow” wasn’t the best choice of words. What I meant was that in comparison to the MPC Live, I feel that the Digitone lets me get to the elements of music making that I am personally drawn to, in a more focused way that’s suited toward the way my brain works. With the MPC I was starting to do less and less sample-based stuff and starting to try to work in the soft synth plugins more and more. The Digitone feels like a natural progression in my personal journey toward more purely live synthesis music.

4 Likes

Using the Digitone’s “Conditional Trigs” and “Locks” from multiple external MIDI tracks to sequence external synths is the jam, as it frees up the external synth’s sequencer to do other stuff (looking at that Circuit Monostation). It’s a lightning fast workflow. You may have a Digitakt or AR in your future, I predict - especially for AR’s CV sequencing.

1 Like

Interesting to hear the comments on the Live. I love the form factor and thought it would be a great partner to my OT. Now I’m questioning that reasoning.

Take my comments on the Live with a grain of salt. It’s an amazing all-in-one device, and depending on what you’re trying to accomplish, might be ideal. Also, resale value is good, and if you find one used in excellent condition and take care of it, if it turns out it wasn’t the droid you were looking for, you can probably resell it without a loss.

I’m just moving in a different musical direction and Elektron had the device (Digitone) that filled those needs. My comments reflect more of my excitement over the Digitone and the way it’s clicking with me than any REAL negativity toward the MPC Live.

1 Like

Don’t you go getting me excited about the AR. :drooling_face:

Now that I “get” what Elektron workflow is all about, the AR is looking mighty nice … :sunglasses:

No no NO! I have to focus on the Digitone! :rofl:

2 Likes

This is me, also a load of guitar pedals, percussion & 2 Revox A77’s. Recently bought a Digitakt so will be sampling the hell out of this lot.

24 Likes

This is what im working with now a really cool pair. Sending a4 through h9 so my kick stays firm.

6 Likes

When the time comes… well, I read somewhere on this forum that you should never exceed more than two Elektron sequencer boxes at a time. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Nice. I recently have been looking into the cocoquantus from Ciat Lonbarde. Those devices used to seem so cryptic, but I’m starting to find some decent YouTube videos that explain them a bit, as well as demonstrate how fun they can be to use.

2 Likes

Wow! What is that?

Updated my setup, got a new table for my hardware rig. It’s so nice to have a completely dedicated space for making music now, without the distractions of a computer desk. I’m only using the computer for recording now with this setup.

A couple of tiny jams to test the new setup:
https://clyp.it/zrhk3apo?token=83572d057911e3317f687b0097fdb0c0
https://clyp.it/aedi2rfc?token=25f296165a47da059661422071d274a5

16 Likes

They seem to be all the rage now :-). I came into Ciat Lonbarde about 10 years ago, my previous setup was Octatrack, Machinedrum & Monomachine. Learning curves are great, what’s the point otherwise & the sound of Cocoquantus is really nice. On paper It has huge limitations as a sampling device but then it’s much more than that, spending time with these things is what it’s all about and the slower you go the more you get out.

2 Likes

A rabbit hole :-).

https://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/

4 Likes

Looks like someone built sound sources out of a game of Couronne - crazy!

1 Like

Please post your results. Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Rytm 2 is awesome but very different from Live. I love them both but the Live is more capable and portable.