Your setups [ 10k Archive]

Model:Wheels

2 Likes

That s great. I like that kind of business philosophy.

1 Like
2 Likes

Indeed I am. I assume any moany c**t on here is Scottish.

7 Likes

yeah I think it depends on your sound and approach… my computer is basically a glorified recorder. I don’t use a ton of software effects (other than mixing/mastering type ones). which means I don’t have to chase the latest hardware to keep up with the latest software. I’m using an iMac, Fireface and Logic version that are all a decade old. but someone whose approach is more focused around software instruments and effects would likely have grown out of such a setup by now.

anyway, for a more hardware-focused setup, you’re right: if you pick a computer, interface and DAW that are mature, stable, and well-supported, you should have few issues for quite some time.

1 Like

oh, nice. I can see it now! I had one of those but broke a leg in half.

It looked like skinny little metal legs at first glance.

I’m still sore from spending a fortune on a G5 Mac in 2005, about 10 minutes before the intel macs were announced.

I’ll never put on a life jacket again.

2 Likes

i bought the quad G5 when it came out also. great computer. i recently sold it on ebay for $225 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Similar here, no rush to update for software as mostly hardware with UAD mixing.

Wherever possible I’m now focused on buying from companies that long support their products.

There are a few well known interface makers that have unsupported devices that are really quite young, when you take into consideration the original RRP. Meaning having to update, and take a huge hit on initial investment against resale price once they are no longer supported.

A certain fruit based computer company are becoming worse and worse in this regard IMO, and so it’s a breath of fresh air when companies don’t build in planned obsolescence into products. And/or support them for years to come, making hardware upgrades available, where needed, to keep the interfacing updated.

It’s a shame that companies like this are few and far between. But it’s only companies like this that I will support and recommend.

3 Likes

@dave_angel We’re of the same mind, rocking a couple of Metric Halo 2882s here. Wherever possible I avoid buying hardware which is not fully functional without software, because as soon as the software is no longer supported your hardware is on borrowed time.

4 Likes

I share your sentiments! Been a long time since I upgraded core components of my setup and I’m afraid I’m getting close to needing some new things (computer + audio interface for starters). Very wary of modern business practices and planned obsolescence.

If you would like to shout out a few companies you recommend that would be awesome. Metric Halo and UAD being a couple I take it? Thanks!

Lots of scots then aye? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure on UA/UAD when it comes to their interface hardware, as I only use their Thunderbolt Quad Satellite.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the next few years, as a lot of people have their Apollo interfaces.

1 Like

Pretty happy with my new studio space, have abandoned modular for a while and gone back to boxes.

46 Likes

Aye :wink:

2 Likes

Matrixbrute :totes:

On my wish list, without a doubt. Is that a Prologue lurking in the back?

heh it is yeah, I have it on loan for a project. Most the stuff here is quite new including the Matrixbrute which surprises me every time I sit down with it. It’s very simple to use, simple elements connecting together to create something complex.

3 Likes

My setup went through a major overhaul. I blame it all on the Yamaha YC-30 organ which started a kind of snowball effect. Sold my Machinedrum (Sacrilege!), my Monomachine (Blasphemy!) and my Octatrack (Lord have mercy!) and bought mainly some more guitar pedals. I’ve realized that my organ and a set of fx pedals provide me with the most inspiration and happiness.

Now my setup is kind of divided into two. On the left side there’s QY-700 based sequencing studio with Analog Keys providing analog synth sounds, Digitakt providing sampling and drums, Digitone providing digital crispness and Sonic Cell with a couple of SRX-cards for rompler duties. Today I completed this side by buying the VT-4 for vocal effects.

On the right side of the room there’s more of a player’s corner with no sequencing, no recording, no programming just inspiration, experimenting, enjoyment and musical adventure with my organ, my guitar (and guitar synth) and my beloved pedals. Recently I found this cupboard from a dumpster and it’s perfect for storing my cables, trinkets and extra effects boxes.

30 Likes

Hotel Travel Setup, beats whatever a guy is normally supposed to do 800km from home.

9 Likes

Had to stop reading here

5 Likes