Your setups [ 10k Archive]

Expanded my setup to the floor to divide it into different sections. Loops/DT/shruthi/FX on the table, laptop and DX on the floor. With the right lighting it’s nice and chill.

7 Likes

Cool series, Villalobos and Koze pretty much exactly as I had imagined!

2 Likes

I like how you’re sitting so close to what looks like a 15" PA cabinet.

How are you getting along with that DX?

2 Likes

Hah, it’s a big bass amp that only gets pulled out for gigs. The DX is great as a controller (amazing keys, midi ports, bender), not so great as an FM synth. The horsepower is there to create amazing sounds and you get 2 solid FX blocks, but the slider interface is simply no good. No sense of connection to the synth at all, no developing muscle memory with it because they behave quite randomly. A shame IMO, with 4 sliders, 4 buttons, more than 32 presets and a way to copy osc/env settings this would really be a beast, maybe even a classic.

1 Like

that setup man holly shiit

What kind of gig bag do you use for that?

1 Like

http://www.dtronics.nl/pages/dtrdx.html

7 Likes

Looks cool, it’s just a shame that it’s necessary. Plus at that point you’re £500 deep and for that price and footprint I’d probably rather have a virus indigo.

My wee room. For what I do (dreampop / shoegaze), the combination of instruments suits me and my sound very well. Have to be honest, I do feel pretty lucky to have such a nice setup. Bass is my main instrument, so tends to occupy most of my time, and I just love what I can do with it in my OT :slight_smile:

25 Likes

Love a Mustang bass. What’s the amp head? And where did you get the little top platform for your desk?

Yeah, Mustangs are so much fun to play - its my favourite bass. The Mustang guitar is also a short scale with a great sound, although its taking a while to get used to the short scale on that one.

The amp head is a Aguilar tone hammer. Nice vintage sounding amp, and super light. Fits in the front of the gig bag, DI out (so half the time I don’t bother taking the cab) - makes getting to gigs super easy!

The top platform on the desk is an Ikea shelf, together with 5 legs (also from Ikea) screwed into the bottom :slight_smile:

I want a mustang bass too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: do you have any song in the web where you play that bass and make magic with octatrack?

This setup is all about the plants and the photo. Sets the mood perfectly for some dream pop/shoegaze :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Ah, not yet unfortunately. The OT is a fairly recent acquisition, and am still getting comfortable with it to be honest. I have been really enjoying seeing how far I can take my bass with it though, sampling it via several neighbour tracks with a load of p-locked FX - there seems to be a lot of potential in that box!

I do have a fair bit of non-OT stuff on Soundcloud though - both with and without my bass - https://soundcloud.com/stega-1/sets/electronic

1 Like

Hehe - thanks! My Dad was always so supportive of my music, despite not having a musical bone in his body! He passed away almost 10 years ago now, but I always think of him whenever I’m playing :slight_smile:

9 Likes

well, i finally have my own room to make tunes among other things. my family and i just moved to atlanta from tx. excited to have everything set up and ready to go.

a quick lil’ rundown on how i have it all connected. behind everything i have a bunch of midi merger/thru boxes to deal with all the midi traffic that’s going on. one of the big things that this setup allows me to do is send the output of the carbon to either the dt or mnm to then record. i primarily use the carbon as a pattern generator where i then typically record its output to either the mm or dt. sometimes the carbon will generate something nifty (repeats, gate time etc) that i can’t record effectively via the dt or mnm (more often it’s the mnm that can’t record since its midi compatibilities are a lil’ dated) so i’ll often just record the straight audio.

as for the mixer/qupac, i have everything connected to it (with the help of the AR84 for further inputs/outputs) so that i can easily multitrack everything, but i still often just record some things on at a time. i used to monitor directly from the qupac but now i monitor directly from bitwig which has a lot of cool tricks to ensure your audio/midi are all in time and any delay is compensated for.

once recorded, i’ll do what i need to do to arrange/mix/process etc and then i’ll spit the master (using the duet 2 since the DA on the qupac isn’t all that, thanks @AdamJay ) into the rms755 stereo compressor which is then fed into the da3000 to record my final master.

and for the computer (2014 macbook air), i finally made the plunge and just purchased a used logic board to give me a huge cpu, ram, and other feature (4k, thunderbolt 2 etc) upgrade. if you have a macbook air, i believe the 2013 and 2014 models are all compatible with the 2015 logic board.

cheers!

16 Likes

Nice. How is the Boum ? :slight_smile:

man, i waited for it since my first born son was born / 2013.

so far i really like it. i’ve primarily been using it to add a bit of lush to pads and drums. i’d like to experiment with the sidechain a bit more. currently working on a track where the bass ducks the boum’s response on a ob6 chord prog which sounds really cool. still need to tinker with it though, as with its siblings, the interface is somewhat esoteric so i’m constantly pulling the manual out to make sure i’m adjusting correctly.

2 Likes

what case are you using there for the OT DT Heat and Virus?

Nice riser/shelf thing. Did you make it? I wish I didn’t make mine so ridiculously high up but it well