Your setups [ 10k Archive]

Yeah I quite like dark reverbs, and I find that the filters give me enough control over the output to dial in the kind of reverbs I like, but yes it definitely has a vintage character. One thing I discovered recently is how much the input gain can influence the sound, a higher input can make it sound a bit harsher/brighter.

3 Likes

Latest version.

Newest additions:

• Ultralite MK4 (2018 version with the new ESS Ultra chip and 123dB DAC dnr)
  • iMac i5 Quad w/ USB 3.0 SSD
  • Strict Cable Organization

Resolving to stick with this for the next 3 years.
It can do everything I need and covers all the territory I should wish to cover. Ableton Live 9, Motu’s ultra low round-trip latency, and zero latency Kush + Audio Damage VSTs are really suiting my workflow.

Monologue is something I usually just jam on by itself, and come up with phrases and variations using the internal sequencer and motion lanes , which I sample into the OT or Ableton and build from there. No need to sync it, or have it sequenced by anything else.

My workflow is usually using Digitone as a bi-timbral synth box, sending both timbres hard panned out of each output, into the Motu --> Ableton.
Ableton is MIDI clock master, sending to Digitone, which goes out to OT MKII.
OT MKII MIDI tracks sequence Ableton Drum Racks. (this, I love, thanks to MIDI retrig, and setting up the Drum Racks to visually mimic the OT MKII MIDI track 2 x 4 column layout).
OT Audio Tracks are used for what ever weirdness I can’t achieve with anything aforementioned. Lots of scenes are employed. I have loads of sample chains in there, and not all drums, lots of Future Retro XS, Dinky’s Taiko bleeps and blurps.

Everything goes through the Motu Ultralight MK4, with only 2ms input latency, into Live --> Lots of Kush 458a, Waves API 550b EQ and other fattener VSTs that don’t add latency, some compression, and then out the Ultralite MK4 (another 2ms output latency) to the Genelecs and a KRK 10" subwoofer. The iPad acts as MOTU input level monitor.

Reaktor Blocks still gets used when I want to get all exploratory.

My previous computer was a 2008 Mac Pro and even though it was 8 cores with an SSD, it was just too long in the tooth to do a lot of realtime processing with ultra low latency.

28 Likes

Soldering them. Neutrik Plugs, Mogami cable. Best quality, rock solid. Damn expensive that way bit they never let you down.
Or buy at music stores like thomann etc.

1 Like

Isnt the MOTU awesome!

3 Likes

Mabe ask a certain individual aboit it…

Ah, plants in the studio. And so green, you take good care i see.

need to have some nature around all these robots

2 Likes

I’ve been a pretty decent ‘caretaker’ for a looong time, can relate.

My current, performance orientated, super fun set-up.
The Analog Four MK2 went for another Octatrack; Digitone now on synth duties.
No looking back.
:grin:

14 Likes

I am totally in love with it. This is what I wanted my old Metric Halo 2882 to be all along, and for less than 1/2 the price.
And while it did take MOTU and others some 10 years to catch up to MH, they’ve lapped them by now, especially with regard to round-trip latency.

And it makes a nice pedestal for Digitone!

2 Likes

Quadcore was the best thing I ever did. I got a Mac Mini when my thunderbolt port went kaput on my 2011 Imac. Four tracks with 6 plugins in Logic Pro X and the thing was ready to smoke. Got a 2015 Retina MBP Quad I7 with 16G RAM and it’s unreal.

2 Likes

My current setup. Loving the Digitone worlds better then the A4. I’m stoked with this setup. Too bad I got a defunct Digitone 24 hours ago :frowning:
Have to turn it on 40 times for it to get past the boot screen. Super bummed. I waited months for this thing.

8 Likes

No photo…
my set up changes depending on what I am doing, which currently is a sort of Techno thing.
Using
Octatrack (main brain, samples chopped from old songs I made)
TR-09 (drums, sequenced by OT. Being replaced by AR next week)
Lyra-8 (Synth duties, audio into a channel on the OT for extra fx and fiddling)

Simple but very addictive set up.

1 Like

I’m curious how you are using your db4 since you have two octatracks’s and Push2. Any of those could easily be used as a mixer.

1 Like

i love the routing in Discovery.
its so unbelievably flexible.

and ya…its SO fast. next to no Lat.

2 Likes

I‘m very happy about my setup right now!!
First time feeling complete! Excited adding a Hertz Donut mk1 next week…

Digitakt clocking Pamelas New Workout. uO_c acting as a sequencer.

4 Likes

Hi,
The DB4 typically adds that ‘special sauce’ to the things I’m doing.
For example, I have both Octatracks having a channel each on the mixer; the Digitone also has its own channel; finally, Ableton has the last channel of the mixer.
While one Octatrack is being the Master and thus providing the main elements, the other one is free to provide anything extra.
Which ever Octatrack is currently being the Master is also sequencing the Digitone
Patterns A - H, on both Octatracks, are used for being Master patterns; patterns I - P are supplementary patterns. These are acapellas or effects that I keep note of so I know the key for mixing them with main patterns.
Depending on what’s being played, I use the effects from the DB4 to add interesting variety to them or create transitions.
Also, I sometimes sample things that are run through the DB4 effects as they sound bloody incredible.
That’s how it’s all going on at the moment.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Took me a bit too long to figure out what you guys were talking about, “plants?! where the fuck are the plants?”. :joy:

1 Like

Find Waldo

1 Like

Hehe, exactly. :slight_smile: