Your setups [ 10k Archive]

That’s just not true. A lot of great sounding music has been made on imperfect monitoring setups and headphones.

2 Likes

this is shameless self promotion of course, but you be the judge if that sounds like it was mixed without proper monitors. it was professionally mastered though, this I think I couldn’t do in my room that well.

1 Like

Aha, yes, they invented sound treatment just to get your money

Python, " it was professionally mastered though", here is a key :wink:

True, but i think my and Greatexpectations points still stand. An untreated room shouldn’t stop anyone from making music or investing in other instruments as apposed to room treatment. In many cases creativity can trump the lack of equipment easily. I want to write, record and perform music first and foremost, not be an engineer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly, but I’m not disagreeing with you mastabeat either. For example, Aphex twin’s most recent album Syro sounds amazing with incredible production, sound design and engineering etc. By comparison, his first album Selected Ambient Works 85-92 has nowhere near the production quality or engineering standards but the ideas and creativity mean it is a classic and a favourite of many. In an ideal world everyone would be working in a perfect environment but in reality a lot of us just want to jam out in our bedrooms and put our ideas into the world.

5 Likes

I’m been trying to improve my room acoustics for awhile now, so far I got bass traps in the corners, and panels on the middle and side walls. Also took a shot at calibrating my monitors (I actually don’t know the point of this) and would also like to EQ my room (I don’t know how to do this!). Does anyone have tips on improving sound in a room? I’m also looking into getting cheap diffusers for the rear walls.

Check this app - https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ and many tuts on youtube. But it is a good idea to calibrate monitors after all traps/panels are established

2 Likes

Recurring themes over the last 3600+ posts:

• you don’t have room treatment
  • your monitors aren’t at the correct height/angle/placement

These two items, for some reason, are things that people are quick to criticize on this forum. I wonder why that is. My studio is long and I have a somewhat non-orthogonal ceiling with 3 faces, and I’m sure I’d hear the same comments. Over on GS you’d read a comment like “tell me about that preamp”. Here it would be, “bro, do you even bass trap???” I find it a little funny. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

12 Likes

I’m probably doomed then. My “studio” at the moment consists of a tiny desk in the living room with my choice of Sennheiser HDXX, Sennheiser Game One, or Sony 7506 cans for “monitors”.

Lots of background noise with air filters, cats, drummer living upstairs, and people walking around/talking.

The elektron boxes are nicely portable though, so as a luxury, I can play on the couch if I want.

4 Likes

Here’s your answer.

It is totally up to you. My message is that it is important to prepare room. Many people don’t know about it. Same was for me, I though it is just something trifle for a LONG LONG time. But once you hear your sound in good room it changes your mind for ever :blush:

1 Like

Probably because people want to share info which can be helpful, no?

1 Like

I thought a lot about room treatment and I´d love to get rid of that constant 50ms reverb that I have here. BUT out of the four walls in my studio room only one is a solid wall, two sides are windows and one side is open to the rest of my apartment. There is just no way to put any absorbers anywhere.

I would expect that to be the case and yet the frequency with which this comes up is still remarkable to me compared to how often it comes up in other fora, hence my comment. I don’t often see “hey man, you could you use some power conditioning” or “you could tighten up that low end with a HPF on the kick drum”, etc.

1 Like

In the opinion of my gf, neighbours, passerby’s and ppl with good taste in music, this is the Best and Only studio monitoring system allowed in my lonely corner.
Just gotta do what you can. :v:

16 Likes

i hear you man!

my shits too offensive for non-me people to listen to. best if i keep it to myself.

[alt pair]

9 Likes

Same here!

Nice to hear that someone bits fundamental physics laws. :nerd_face:

Someone’s bits ? Androids are among us :joy:

Love my AKG

2 Likes