Your setups [ 10k Archive]

Is the 303 your “master recorder”?

Testing out new configurations - need a bigger desk and a bigger space haha!

5 Likes

i got ya… i really love the sound of AH… but the integration in my production workflow is to complicated… it would be cool to have like 5 of AH… but for now i ll use Softube Console 1 which is just awesome on give some good saturation. but i work on a live act and i like to integrate the AH. Maybe after the Digitakt or on the master channel…

thanks

1 Like

Where in the chain do you use the deco?

What’s that thing on the far left on the bottom, the black box?

Hey another Circuit Mono Station :slight_smile: I’m loving that thing.

1 Like

I’ve got the output of it going through an Electro Harmonix Catherdal, it’s awesome!
I sometimes plug the output of my MAM mb33 to the input of CMS for the distortion and have the aux CV going to the VCF input on the mb33.

1 Like

It’s and Abstrakt Avalon - basically a 303 on steroids.

1 Like

Between stereo output and recorder.

1 Like

Got OT instead of an Push, I regret nothing.

1 Like

Cool. Mine is getting reverb and delay from an Eventide Space and EHX Memoryman+Stereo Pulsar, and getting some Analog Heat treatment by times.

Analog Heat keeps winking at me. :thinking:

2 Likes

Same for me but I only want to buy a used one…

1 Like

Your Circuit Mono Station already has an analog filter, overdrive and distortion but an AH could sure do some interesting things to your Circuit. I’m using it mainly on my MD and I love the grit and energy it pumps in it.

I got a used one for 550€ with a deck saver cover very recently, it’s worth every cent.

1 Like

Happiness only real when shared

… scribbled Christopher McCandless down before he died (Into the Wild).

I could not resist any longer, to not share my setup. For years I enjoy this thread, try to learn from others. The goal for my hardware-only setup was to jam, getting lost in making music, enjoying the process not only of making music but also getting everything working together, figuring out how the machines work, how to create things I enjoyed in other peoples music. After about one year, I got all machines working together, pattern and sounds designed, me pushing faders, turning knobs to create something like a conventional track.

This is my first ever computer-free music creation with this setup:

Only one sample is used (a recording of a synth, reversed and put through a reverb), everything else is created by the machines. A Squarp Pyramid is the master clock and MIDI pattern provider for longer and melodic elements. The Hypersynth Xenophone is sequenced from the Octatrack, which does nothing else here. Elektron Analog Rytm for drums and percussion, Analog Four MKI for deep bass, Moog Subsequent 37 and Analog Four MKII for lead bassline, Waldorf Blofeld and Access Virus TI2 for atmospheric elements, pads, string sounds and higher pitched lead support. Everything feeds into an Allen & Heath QuPac for grouping and recording. The groups are fed into a XONE:PX5 and a Pioneer RMX 1000, before going through and Elektron Analog Heat. The four parts on the TI, three parts on the Blofeld and the four voices of the A4s are regulated via Faderfox MX12. The large number of sounds and parameters ensures that I myself cannot remember everything and therefore have my jam experience with prepared pattern and sounds.

Below full details on the connections in the setup :slight_smile: (The tables did not copy across, so I had to insert screen shots)

Olaf

Acronyms: Analog Rytm (AR), Analog Rytm MKII (AR2), Analog Four (A4), Analog Four MKII (A8), Access Virus TI2 (TI), Waldorf Blofeld (WB), Hypersynth Xenophone (HX), Moog Subsequent 37 (MS), Analog Heat (AH), Octatrack (OT), Eventide H9 Max (H9). Allen & Heath QuPac (QuPac), Pioneer RMX 500/1000 (RMX), Allen & Heath XONE:PX5 (PX5), Faderfox MX12 (FF1&2), Strymon Big Sky (BS), Strymon Timeline (TL). ERM (E-RM Multiclock).

Performance / Setup Considerations:

•	Switch first all Elektron devices on, then the Pyramid.
•	Master volumes: max for all machines. Regulate this, if necessary through the QuPac (Channel) or the PX5.
•	A4: Use the Auto Channel to preview sounds but switch the auto channel off for performances - otherwise the Faderfox operation messes up.
•	AR: Activate Fill Mode with YES+PAGE
•	AH: Check input sensitivity (>Settings).
•	AH as Master Insert in A&H XONE:PX5 (two Y cables required):
⁃	From R on the PX 5 (bottom), the red end goes to the Out L (top) of the AH. The black end goes into the In L (top) of the AH.
⁃	From L on the PX 5 (top), the red end goes Out R (bottom). The black end goes into the In R (bottom).
•	TI: To set the Multi, switch to Single and return to Multi.
•	OT: 
⁃	Select Trk 7 (FX slice) and with FCN+DOWN ARROW select slice mode for FX.
⁃	Arm all tracks with one shot trigs. Outside grid recording: press YES.
⁃	Direct tracks to the Cue Out (H9): Press CUE+Track. Cued tracks flash.
•	PX5: 
⁃	For RMX-1000 send must go fully clockwise and Ext Rtn gain also full on.
⁃	Set tempo by pressing the Tap button for manual BPM.
•	RMX: Adjust tempo by pressing Tap+Nudge. RMX 1000 according to manual set to -10dB for Send/Return function. Input and output level to 9:00
•	MS: Volume=12:00. Headphones=12:00
•	H9: KillDry = Disabled.
•	Strymon BS: 
⁃	Turn the Cab Filter switch on the back ON (since the BS is last in line and going to PA)
⁃	Each bank (0-99) has three presets (A,B,C) that are activated with the footswitches.
⁃	Hold a footswitch for infinite sustain or freeze.
⁃	Use the Mix knob for control of the D/W mix.
⁃	Press A&B to select a lower preset; press B&C to select a higher bank.
⁃	Mix: at 15:00 the mix is 50:50.
⁃	To find knob positions of a saved preset, turn each knob until the LED returns to GREEN after glowing Amber.
•	Strymon BS: in Globals Menu:
⁃	A Pattern on the Elektron machines is here matched with a Bank (e.g. Pattern F03 with Bank 03 on the Strymon)
⁃	Set BYPASS to True bypass
⁃	Set DRYSIG to NORMAL.
⁃	Set SPLOVR to ON. Wet delay signal of currently selected presets spills over to next preset.
⁃	Set MIDICT to OFF.
⁃	Set MIDITH to THRU (no signals of the pedal are passed to the output, only the input.)
•	Strymon TL:
⁃	Press A & B to select lower bank. Press B & TAP to selecta a higher bank. Press A or B to activate preset from that bank.
⁃	Left input is for mono. E.g. from the Moog Sub 37
⁃	Mix at 15:00 gives 50:50 dry/wet mix.
⁃	Looper: Press & hold Stop to enter/exit looper model. Press Rec/Dub to record loop. Press Play to play recorded loop. Press Stop to stop current loop.
⁃	To find knob positions of a saved preset, turn each knob until the LED returns to GREEN after glowing Amber.
•	Strymon TL: in Globals Menu:
⁃	A Pattern on the Elektron machines is here matched with a Bank (e.g. Pattern F03 with Bank 03 on the Strymon)
⁃	Set BYPASS to True bypass
⁃	Set DRYSIG to NORMAL.
⁃	Set SPLOVR to ON. Wet delay signal of currently selected presets spills over to next preset.
⁃	Set MIDICT to OFF.
⁃	Set MIDITH to THRU (no signals of the pedal are passed to the output, only the input.)
•	E-RM Multiclock:
⁃	You can lock and unlock the shift parameter of each channel during playback (and only during playback!) to brace yourself against unintended knob movement. To do so, simply hold the set channel button and push the button of the channel you intend to lock. The channel number on the homescreen is replaced by an "L" to indicate locking status.

QuPac & PX5 Audio Routing:

The idea is to feed everything into the QuPac for recording, grouping of devices to then send these to the XONE:PX5 mixer for live mixing. The input channels of the QuPac are used like channel strips (EQ, compression) and these can be tailored to Kits/Pattern/Patches on the synths. On the Elektron machines I use one pattern/kit per song so that I use for each of these one scene on the QuPac. It is therefore possible to have channel processing tailored to songs. In this setup the FX on the QuPac are not used. Instead the PX5 effects and a Pioneer RMX are used to live mixing of groups.

In this setup, the FX in the QuPac can only be used as insert effects. Since all inputs could be send to a send FX, one would have to decide where the FX returns go. I send the FX returns to LR Mix Out, which is also fed by the OT (incl OT Cue, HX) and goes into ChA of the PX5.

MIDI Routing:

The E-RM Multiclock is here used to integrate the hardware setup with a DAW. I use the DAW only during preparation of a set, for the design of sounds using Elektron Overbridge and for recording. Without the DAW, the Squarp Pyramid serves as the master clock provider. The E-RM receives from an E-RM plug-in an audio signal via Ch28 on the Qu-Pac and out through Mix Out 1. In Ableton Live ensure that Ch28 is enabled as an output to the QuPac and in the QuPac the fader in Mix1 must be up. Midi cable connections: E-RM Multiclock Out 2 > Squarp Pyramid Midi In. For the Pyramid Midi In settings, IGNORE SYNC, STRT/STP should be “OFF”.

•	The XONE:PX5 does not receive midi clock via din port.
•	Kenton MIDI USB host: Data received on the MIDI In are send to the USB port, signals received from the USB port are send to the MIDI Out port.
•	The Pyramid is the clock master, or distributes the master clock if the E-RM multiclock is used. Switch it on last.
•	On the OT, the two inputs (Thru machines) on A B, C D, are directed to the main outs (studio mode), while all other tracks with sample machines, are routed to the Cue Out. For the CC control this means that we use CC07 and CC47.
•	Strymon Pedals: Updating the firmware does not work with the iConnectivity devices. Use the MIDI Mate cable. Plug 1 goes into MIDI out and Plug 2 into MIDI in. Use the Strymon librarian. First to to Settings and do the MIDI setup and test. Then under View choose the software update. No need to download the latest firmware file from the Strymon site, the librarian does that.
38 Likes

Is that in a hallway that continues on or is it a dead-end little cubby? I can’t tell but it looks like in the back it turns and keeps going as a hallway? If so, that’s a pretty funny location for a desk :slight_smile:

Quite possibly the best post ever.

3 Likes

I think it folds up the wall ‘inception’ style and wraps back on itself. Forming a loop.

3 Likes

In that case, can it be trig locked for infinite variation?