Your setups [ 10k Archive]

We’re each different and have our own unique priorities.
Some would rather put that money into improving their monitoring. Others would rather buy another instrument and use software for processing. Some care less about the instrument and more about the processing.
And all have a particular workflow they prefer, which is wholly influenced by choice of tools.

I personally focus on workflow and monitoring, with most of my processing and mixing taking place digitally, after recording. I love AD Grind for Heat style overdrive effects, and also Kush Omega series plug-ins for saturation. I can use 20 of them in a DAW project, and recall projects instantly.

4 Likes

great machine, let down by it’s crappy cheap knobs - couple starting to give trouble…

1 Like

I will have to look into those plugins

My setup, including some questions

Non-Elektron stuff:

• Alesis Multimix FX6 mixer - will need a better sounding one that’s just as small. Suggestions?
  • Clavia Nord Modular G2 - love of my life.
  • Boss Line switch. Will need to find a three-way one soon. Recommendations?
  • Boss Giga Delay - a quasi no-brainer for every setup imho - adds so much to almost any synth.
  • Strymon BlueSky (will need to test it against its big brother). Thoughts?
  • Boss RC 505 loopstation. Grew up with it, will be replaced by the OT, but still used for composing. It’s likely the easiest way to record (just 16 bit though), loop, and keep the creativity flowing.
  • Golden Age Preamp, EQ, and Compressor. Not high-end, but sufficient.
  • Korg Wavedrum Oriental (adds so much life to the perc section. would sound crappy w/o the Golden Age devices though)
  • Beyerdynamic A20 Headphone amp + Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro (super happy with that sound!)
  • Yamaha HS-8 monitors (can’t seem to get a clear sound out of them, it’s either thin or muddy - room treatment will start next week, so I hope that’ll do the trick). What’s your opinion about those monitors?

9 Likes

About the Yamahas has been said often … if the mix sounds good the mix is good and if the mix sounds :head_bandage: the mix is :head_bandage:

I can confirm this. Other monitors might be forgiving, but the Yamahas are straight honest, they are supposed to be more of an analytical tool rather than monitors to enjoy music. I made the test and played some of my favorite records through them. Some sounded great, as expected, but some were surprisingly horrible.

You are right about that one - unfortunately. Problem being: making a decent mix without a computer is neigh impossible. And that’s my issue, since I banned my PC from the studio :smiley:
Which Dark Trinity machine cannot do side-chaining? What other tipps do you have to clear up the sound?

No computer takes you to some outboard gear.

But the Elektrons offer much options to tweak each track and sound. You only have to apply good mixing practices. I think side-chaining is not the most helpful approach, if a mix is poor. More often we have a clash of sounds, which get into each other’s way. All Elektrons allow to optimize the sounds at ground level before they are added to the mix. Learn to ride those horses and it will sound great;)

1 Like

User name checks out :joy:

5 Likes

And pricey equipment I don’t own :frowning:

Just drop a couple million, no need for a computer at all

12 Likes

Finally got everything off the dining room table and onto a stand but cable management is always going to be a struggle.

I just added the Rev 2 and Digitakt in the last couple months to try and move away from the computer.

6 Likes

Went to ikea yesterday, built these today!

8 Likes

love these attic room studios! with skylights too! incredible space and gear. looks like loads of fun.

Today I got tired of the mess/little space on my desk. Decided to get rid of second monitor for now.
Went to GC then to SamAsh trying to find a rack but no luck.
Said F*ck it, went to Home Depot, bought two 16" wood “sticks” and 12 screws.
OctoPre is quite deep so works great as base.
Total cost of my new awesome rack “shelf” - $4.94 + some time and that is tax included :smiley:
I just need to find a marker somewhere here and paint it black :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

17 Likes

Nice lighting! An often overlooked feature when going on a space jam.

3 Likes

Current setup. Plenty of stuff off screen, but im trying to create a minimal setup and then focus on performing with it. I get very zen and probably overthink this stuff too much.

14 Likes

Here’s my setup.

I was pretty sure it was perfect but now I think I’m looking to replace the Minilogue and Bass Station with an Analog Four and OP1 respectively.

The Digitakt has changed everything for me.

8 Likes

“I’ve finally found my perfect set up” :wink:

5 Likes

I can also attest to the fact that Ulysses does an excellent job of propping up computer monitors, speakers, small mixers, eurorack cases, and other hardware! It also props open windows!

God knows I’ll never manage to finish it. :joy:

1 Like