Your Setups (Part 1)

Cheers! I get a lot of out the strymons. I think I could live without the BigSky but I use the other three constantly.

The height inside is 120mm.

Considerations I made when I designed this desk: The tallest equipment I have is the Tascam Model 12. But I also have some Behringer semimodular and I wanted to be able to leave the patch cables plugged in while still being able to close the lid of the desk. So I suggest considering also the height of things like knobs or plugs which should stay plugged in while the lid is closed.

But there is always a tradeoff when it comes to the height of the table plate in the sitting position. The thicker you make it the less space your legs have and/or the higher your hands are laying on it the table plate. This is an ergonomical tradeoff in this design. I am fine with this limitation as I don’t use this desk in closed state for more than a couple of hours. In open mode it is no problem, as you can simply lift the desk to the proper height.

In terms of standing desk frames, I chose one which can lift up to 120kg. The wood of the desk construction weights approx. 48kg total. The lid of the desk is around 15kg. I found hinges with springs which are dampening up to 12kg of weight, but as I am always holding the lid when I am closing it slowly this is not a problem. Regarding hinges, choose ones that open more than 90° (like 100° or a little more) otherwise the open lid does not stay open savely by it’s own weight.

I just found the old drawings I made for that desk. All dimensions are in millimeters if not stated otherwise. I also added the BOM for the wood parts also with dimensions. There is not a lot of text in the drawings but if you can read my handrwiting the next challenge is it’s in german, sorry for that. The wood I used is oak.

BOM:

Kind of isometric sketch (there is a mistake in the first drawing on that page in the dimensions 160 should be 1600 and 80 should be 800)

Side view:

Hope that helps!

5 Likes

help a lot! thank you!

i already have a dual motor standing desk frame that supports 300kg, so thats a non issue.

2 Likes

That is flat out brilliance :clap:t2: :clap:t2: :clap:t2:

1 Like

beautiful build, good job!

1 Like

M:S is the sequencer for the ND3
Since last update I can run Malevolent and ND3 independently into DN and add effects only to Malevolent.
I can also ditch MS and use 3 DN tracks for BD,SN and HH and still got 1 left for malevolent.
I had an octatrack before, but I’m pretty happy with less. I’m actually considering only going for ND3/DN/malevolent.
Pretty amazing DN update!

18 Likes

Blacked out DN, Nice!

3 Likes

did i sell you that DN? you bought it with those T 7 function buttons? winnipeg?

how do you like the Malevolent? i’ve been eyeballing that hard lately. sounds amazing

Current Setup

added the erica db-01 bassline & hydrasynth explorer yesterday. recent acquisitions also include oto boum, eventide ultratap, mackie 1202 vlz4. there’s also an octa, digitakt, take-5, launchpad mk3, norns (fates) w/neotrellis grid, boss rge-10 graphic eq, analog rytm, blacked out crave monosynth, nankontrol2, ehx platform, presonus eris 4.5, focusrite scarlett 4i4, beyerdynamic dt-770 pro 80ohm w/headphone amp from amazon, and a bod-400 bass overdrive pedal

and a doggieboy

12 Likes

no, I bought it a few years ago, swapped the keys with a DN-Keys user who wanted white keys and ordered the rest from elektron.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I didn’t even notice the trig keys. I used to do that with my T and Function buttons with my last two digitones. Ordered a lot of Octa buttons from Elektron in the past. Looks awesome

Woah, the nd3 is tiny! I’ve been thinking about trading out my upgraded spdsx for one since I’ve just never fallen in love with it but that’s giving me second thoughts. Seems like it would be hard to play. They sound fantastic though.

2 Likes

Made a custom desk in rubberwood.

15 Likes

ah gonna try that as well …since I lost my three red rec buttons of my OT it would be nice to have a replacement

I love mine, and the size is perfect. It’s much smaller than I expected but I’ve never felt it was hard to hit the right pad. I keep mine mounted off of my hi hat stand, so it’s not far away when I need it.

1 Like

I don’t know, i feel like the size is pretty much prefect, but surely this is subjective.
I was thinking about getting an Pulsar23. And while it’s definitely in another league modulation wise, the ND3 just sounds so good if you play it. I mean sequencing is on thing, but there is such a dynamic in sound when you play it. Don’t feel gas for the pulsar at all.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m sure I’d get used to it given time. I’m just surprised seeing it next to gear I’m familiar with size wise, I think it was bigger in my head.
I wish there was a store around here where I could try it out.

My studio is a bit of a mess right now. But sold a good bit of kit and have been rebuilding from scratch over the last couple of months. I’ve got my heart set on another monosynth (either a 101/202, Avalon Bassline, or a Monomachine if I can find one), but I haven’t been this happy with my setup in a long time.

16 Likes

if you can’t find a Monomachine (or afford the ones that do pop up), I’d suggest something with a multi-mode filter. coming from someone who’s owned/owns a lot of mono synths.

ooh – good idea. any recommendations?

Korg MS20 would be my suggestion. it has a very flexible filter, and is readily available/reasonably priced with the reissue. should be different enough from the Moog and Vermona sound (which is also pretty Moog-ey) as well. Analog Four is also super flexible (but I personally didn’t like the interface much), both in filter and overall synthesis options/modulation/sequencing/etc.

5 Likes