Your quickest resampling worklow?

What’s the most efficient way to resample? Here’s how my blank bank usually looks:

T1: Flex set to rec1–I record a sample into it (music, spoken word, whatever).
T2: Neighbor track because I know I’ll want more FX on this first sample.
T3: Flex set to rec3, listening to T2. I try to set up the rec settings ahead of time too, but my PLEN always ends up being different so I have to readjust anyway (any tips for this?)
T4: Flex set to rec4, listening to T3.

Once I have my recording on track 3, I’ll plop down some trigs, turn on FX and play with it and mangle it that way. Then, I record track 4 and do something similar. If I want to keep going, I go back to track 3 and tell it to listen to T4, so I can end up going back and forth, just mangling and resampling between the two tracks.

What about you guys? I took me over six months of having the Octatrack to finally realize this is a really great workflow for me. I used to open up a new bank and just kind of wing it–recording to track 1 and not knowing what to do from there. But now that I have this sort of template in place it helps out on brainpower a lot.

Tracks 5-8 are reserved for percussion if I want. Typically kick, snare, hat and perc. Idk how people use Track 8 as a master. Maybe if I kept my sessions more focused to just sound design and forget about beatmaking, but I always inevitably wanna add a kick and a hat haha. Or a drum break.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Resampling thread