Your questions for Inside Elektron: Panel Talk event at Elektron Studios Berlin

How do you guys feel about product details coming out ahead of official launch?

1 Like

Fantastic and well formulated questions everyone!

Yes. But most likely no live stream.

10 Likes

Here are my questions:

Is Elektron done with analog sound sources? Will you focus on digital soundcreation in the future?

Will you explore new synthesis methods other than subtractive synthesis and fm? like additive synthesis, wavetable etc.?

How important will connectivity to mobile devices become in the future?

What do you think about Eurorack? Any plans for a sequencer/sampler with cv connectors?

6 Likes

Yaaasssssss. Good one!

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Olibolā€™s aggressive posting

There are ALOT of opinions on the webs about this so i think insight from a manufacturer instead of a consumer would be helpful. However it may be ā€œdangerous territoryā€ so i would totally understand if Elektron avoided the subjectā€¦

Q. Does the aggresive high volume, cheap retail pricing of certain manufacturers/brands, that have been cloning analogue classic actually have an effect on Elektrons business model? Or have an effect on the directions you take?

Have your team noticed a marked difference to sales or are your client bases of a completely different mindset.

Would you say that Electron has zigged in a direction away from Analogue as a reation to the markets zag? Or are Elektron in a bubble just doing thier own thing. Unabaited by other manufacturers and thier outcomes?

Too much?

5 Likes

With competition hotting up in the sequencer marketplace, with devices like Squid, Pyramid, Deluge, MPC Live etc, are Elektron looking into advancements to their core sequencer - either for current or future devices?

With the Machinedrum and Monomachine now moving into ā€˜classicā€™ status and still being in high demand on the ā€˜usedā€™ marketplace, has there been serious consideration of reviving these devices with a modern twist in any form moving forward?

9 Likes

when playing live with 2 people on 2 elektron machines I need a start sequencer signal.

either when I press stop by accident or after loading a new project i canā€™t sync up unless Master midi presses stop and play.

edit : would you be able to implement that feature for all devices?

would help jamming a loooot

1 Like

So, whatā€™s your question?

edited my post

1 Like

Will there ever be a Octatrack 3 or similar with Overbridge/multitracking?

2 Likes

If you had total creative license and no time constraints and the freedom to create an Elektron box what would that ultimate machine look like as in features and functions?

Myself I have always wished for an Elektron performance mixer.

When is the Powerhandle BP -1 accessory for the Model:Samples planned to be available please?

Is accessory a holder for user-supplied batteries (e.g. AAs) or does it contain a lithium pack?

Iā€™m trying not to assume much from the ā€œhandleā€ part of the name, so is BP-1 designed
a) as a base (i.e. sitting underneath)
b) as an actual handle

If BP-1 is designed to sit underneath:

1. how will it keep the M:S in place and not moving around during use; and
  2. since the battery port on the M:S is on the side, will Elektron have a custom connector that avoids sticking out too far and messing with my design aesthetics / OCD? :wink:

If BP-1 is designed as a handle, please elaborate on its form and intended function (beyond supplying power).

Also, although the M:S specifications mention two ā€œslotsā€, Iā€™ve only seen one on one side* and am wondering how BP-1 will be attached in such a way as to be rigid and stable?

*Admittedly, Iā€™ve only seen an M:S once so havenā€™t checked thoroughly. My local shop only rarely has one on display.

Thanks for considering these. Have a great event.

Maybe less of a question and more of a discussion prompt, but it has crossed my mind every now and then:

Something that was touched on (as speculation, not anything official) briefly in the hype around the Digitone release last year was the idea of a device that could have multiple replaceable OS files, each providing the device with different functionality, so for example, being able to replace the Digitone FM synth OS with say, an additive synth OS, which could be purchased as an addon. Do you have any thoughts on how viable such a model might be, and whether or not it fits in with the vision of the company?

4 Likes

How do you feel about the conspiracy theories that seem to circle Elektron more than any other company? Do you find it amusing or irritating when people come up with these crazy ideas about what was said in the boardroom?

Is it downheartening to see negative criticism of products that youā€™ve clearly poured your hearts into creating?

Personally I find it crazy the way some people are so negative about things-Focusing on the one tiny aspect that is missing, rather than the astounding features that are there.

7 Likes

Here are my Questions:

• Whats your current design philosophy? Do you continue delivering small boxes that are limited by design? Or do you have obligatory plans to make a bigger box in AR/A4/OT/MD/MnM-Format again?

• What was your idea behind the Digitone Keys? Why have you chosen the Monomachine SFX6 Design; given that it doesnt have anything in common with the good old MnM?

• Do you have plans for a Digitakt MK2? Generally speaking: Did you already agree on a certain livespan for a given machine after which it gets MK2ā€™ed?

Cheers

1 Like

More design questions

If you have a personal design philosophy, please share a bit about it. How do you approach interface design? How do you decide what features are essential/not essential? Is your philosophy ever in tension with the ā€œElektronā€ approach?

Assuming that Elektron designs its instruments in a team setting, how do you resolve differences and/or reconcile different design approaches?

Employees as musicians

Are you a musician? If you arenā€™t, or werenā€™t when you joined Elektron, did you become one? How did that happen? :slight_smile:

How does being a musician inform your work at Elektron?

Does the music you listen to, or are influenced by, influence how you approach new features or instruments?

Competition

Who or what do you see as Elektronā€™a biggest competition? Other manufacturers, or things like modular and/or boutique devices?

Do you ever develop machines with an eye towards how they could be used in conjunction with other gear (not just other Elektron machines)?

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Elektron kit since the beginning, yes that long ago lol!! I really just have two questionsā€¦
:would Elektron be willing to release a
Anniversary OS update for the Machinedrum (UW) Mkll and Monomachine Mkllā€¦(drum roll, retrig on all machines etc).
:Will Elektron be releasing new shirts, and or expanding the Elektron merch, Sid, Machinedrum, monomachine, octatrak shirts etc?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always been confused about the logo. Is it an L? Is there a story behind why not an E?

Also the sideways g on the analog 4 and Rtym. Is it a lock? As in plock

The OT in octatrack I get ā€¦the others Ive been curiousā€¦

It looks very much like a stylised ā€˜eā€™ to meā€¦

4 Likes