Your politicians ... isn´t it so much fun?

I would argue it is far more difficult for me to travel freely across the continent of my birth, than it is for those living under the Schengen Agreement. Do you not agree? And, no, the Canadian and Mexican borders do not impede on my liberties, in my opinion. One has to establish lawful jurisdiction in a civilized society. Borders are OK for Canadians and Bahamians, just as they are for me.

Don’t let politics chat infect the forum

1 Like

It’s too late.

That it does. If you are from a Western country then there is a very good chance that you benefit from interventionst, globalist policies. If there were no borders then there’d be no countries serving to benefit and protect only their citizens. As it stands, if you are fortunate enough to have been born in a country that benefits from dominating less fortunate states, you are in a privledge enough position to not have to concern yourself with the for example mobilization rights of others.

1 Like

FYI there’s a mute feature for threads you’re not into.

The role of borders as it relates to humanity as a species is that they allow for all types of lifestyles. If you were to erase borders tomorrow the power vacuum would inevitably lead to some all encompassing centralized government.

That could be ok if it was a body that allowed liberty and personal freedoms. The problem is that this is not what is guaranteed. I don’t want to live with the types of laws that are found in other countries. There is a reason that people come from all over the world to be here and that is because this can’t be found elsewhere. That is what is compromised by the lack of borders.

It’s unfortunate that not everyone gets that opportunity but unfortunately we are just not there as a species right now.

It’s also rather narcissistic to think that very change should happen in ones lifetime. I am acutely aware of this so I try to remain realistic about what is plausible to change within my lifetime.

3 Likes

Current state of Us politics is that many Democrats advocate for a more open borders policy. Many Republicans are warhawks, dinking around in other nations affairs. Centrists / Libertarians want border security and to stay out of other countries business. However, libertarian candidates have no chance of winning an election in part because of our political duopoly in the US. In the 2016 presidential election, libertarian candidate Gary Johnson only received roughly 1% of the popular vote.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you. I think that the aforementioned arrogance of the West that neoliberality was the end of history was in fact it’s death sentence. That the West would so arrogantly impose itself on the rest of the world tainted the ideals it (still) can offer.

I do not think it will change in my lifetime. But that should never stop anyone from supporting it for the future imo.

“Debt is actually future time” - Franco Berardi

I agree that by 2000 the very concept of what the dollar was made it impossible to pay down the debt to any significant degree. But the trend line in your chart shows that an attempt was being made to pay it down, but it wasn’t happening.

But that is precisely the national conversation I wanted the U.S. to be having in the “oughts”, to raise public awareness of what money and debt had become. That the dollars in our pockets in 2000 were very different than the dollars in a 1900 pocket. The kind of thing David Graeber talks about now.

“Hey, we have been trying to pay down this debt, but we seemed to have reached a “floor” where the debt just isn’t going away anymore! Why is this happening!”

This would have been a very useful conversation to have had in 2004, with over five years of attempting to drive the national debt lower and lower. Bush blew that whole conversation out of the water with his 2001 tax cuts and the way these cuts restructured who paid for what, and so the shroud came off of ( Jinx! ) Durst’s Debt Clock.

And perhaps that shroud was there for the very reason you describe, the debt wasn’t actually going down, certainly not at the rate claimed.

By the way, which paragraph in that CNN article “conflates national debt and government deficits”?

I think there’s a lot more at issue with libertarianism than just the two parties Tbh.

With everyone saying where they’re from suddenly I’m reading everyones comments in different accents than I assumed

3 Likes

:joy:

i just assume everyone here is swedish and sounds like a viking

1 Like

Actually I dot’t know lol I just heard about it. Maybe below the last post in the thread?

Edit: Yes. Where it says “tracking”

For the sake of transparency, I am the rarest of rares, a Canadian libertarian.

Eh

4 Likes

Alright I’m out. Until the next political thread :slight_smile:

Do your drone homework! Drone Day 2019

2 Likes

What country is that? Looking to move. Canada has lost its mind.

2 Likes

100 comments and it’s still civilized! Whoa! What a mature group these Elektronauts

4 Likes

That is exactly why I enjoy talking politics on this forum. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A.I.

2 Likes