Your politicians ... isn´t it so much fun?

Well, in that sense, the automatic adaptation of technology we all have that “makes daily life easier” is the very power that will end us. Most of the world powers have figured out that there is no need for nuclear weapons when they’ve put the most powerful weapons in our hands. Gave us the tech to take us out at the same time. EMP. Then the world will be helpless to the world leaders.

See, I went and did it. Back to music.

Take me down to the digicity, tranquil Utopia of elektronic music bliss.

The vast majority let someone else get involved in politics - very very few get involved themselves.

What’s worse, our own relationships with others are being diluted to nothing as we devote ourselves to online virtuality for fulfillment.

An unpopular weirdo stands a greater chance than ever in getting into power and exercising their personal, warped wishes on any population.

We get what we deserve.

3 Likes

Except that its not only conscience control in the game. Like huxley wrote, worst discover of humanity is ddt and peniciline. Because way of control death are each day easier, when controlling birth is so complex,. We will be soon be ten around a plate…

But yeah your attitude is the right to have. And i have to agree that my vision of whats aroûnd me strike my life. How to date a girl, have friends or see family with such feeling in my head? Im searching my way myself… its hard when each day confirm a bit more that… im just a poor lonely angry man… who didnt switch on his digi for months… stop here dont want to bother anyone. Anyway, any hope from politicians anyway…

I think youre right (and I also have severe anxiety from the state of things).

But whats both terrifying and relieving: the future does.not.care. The kids dont care anything at all about the cyber/surveillance apparatus and they’ll probably become totally accustomed to unstable weather.

“BACK IN MY DAY WE HAD CONSISTENT WEATHER PATTERNS”

“What are you on about old man. Go put on a jacket. Im on my Huawei using tiktok”

More adults fawn over Greta Thunberg than kids.

1 Like

In my opinion things the world over, on an average, are better than theyve ever been in the history of civilization.

Yes politicians have become more brazen in recent days in their stupidity. But it was always there, just dressed up in a more appealing costume speaking sweet nothings to us.

Luckily, in my country, the politicians only have a very limited amount of control over my life. In my real world, things arent so different today vs 10 years ago

4 Likes

I dont buy that neoliberal talking point. Just because they’re “better” whatever that means doesnt make the things going on right.

1 Like

so true.
lot´s of intelligent people out there.
having an opinion and click on a button on a machine is not enough.
i do not buy a lot of things and click up and down (sometimes) buttons.
thats it. my political input.
i ask myself a lot: what´s the difference between me (the good guy, of course)
and a complete asshole (just an opinion) as long that damn asshole and me
are just doin´the same things in everydaylife (driving a car, buying food in the same supermarket, etc )

Gotta make a move to a town that’s right for me…

Won’t you take me to…
Digitown…
3 Likes

have been waiting for that !

1 Like

Fuck it, I’ll join in proper.

Western civilization peaked in the late 1990’s. Francis Fukuyama and his friends called it “The end of history”. They mistook the peaking of a civilization for a point in time whereby economically and socially liberal governments would become the norm worldwide.
In actual fact, western civilization had simply run out of new ideas and was slowly but surely entering its decline. Most of us on here live in the “western” world and are currently part of that decline. Most of us manage to live in denial of this decline by committing to ever more ridiculous consumerism or retreating into cyberspace (as detailed in the excellent “Hypernormalisation” by Adam Curtis). The rest of us reject such a course of action, deciding instead that this is actually the end of the world and we’re all fucked (which may well be the case due to climate change but it is also interesting that we are suddenly so interested in such a doomsday proposition given we have known about it for decades).
The ridiculousness of our situation dictates the ridiculousness of our politics.
People like Strache and Farage and Oban have always been knocking around. It is only in these times of “crisis” that they become celebrities.
The sooner people in the west learn to accept reality instead of pretending like we’re still the boss the happier we’ll all be.

Apologies for lowering the tone, I’ve had a couple of drinks and felt the need to pop out a little rant.
Sorry.

4 Likes

I don’t quite agree.

Fukuyama and co were defining western civilization in a neoliberal context. Due to the historic amount of opportunity that it created (which it did), strata of society which had been totally marginalized under the neoliberal order and from which it gained all its sucesss (eg colonialism) coupled with the ability the internet now gave the marginalized to consolidate, lead to a mass critique of the neoliberal order. This is unacceptable to that power and those who follow it.

Its not so much in decline as in having a crisis of conscience. This of course allows openings for opponents of that order to exploit.

But I agree that Western civilization is no longer “the boss” nor should it have ever been (neoliberals of course would disagree). It would be nice however if it got its shit together and offered itself (well…the romantic version of it, I guess) as an alternative.

4 Likes

the real boss is our (beloved ?) planet.
i´ve got not kids, but anyway i´m a bit concerned about what
smart people say how things develop at the moment.
same thing as it ever was ? for sure, but we are a bit late in the meantime.
i just want to have fun and do music, those damn scientists say we are on the way to fuck this all up - soon ! very soon !

1 Like

Fair enough, can’t disagree with any of that.

Even doomsday needs a soundtrack.

1 Like

Or wasn’t it Guns N Roses that said “Take me down to the Digicity, where the trigs are green, and overdrive is gritty. Oh won’t you please take me home, yeah yeah”

5 Likes

Nice

Well i dont think thats an accurate summary of what i said. But ok. Not sure why the labels are necessary here. As if im supposed to be ashamed to be a liberal

1 Like

I have always voted green for environment, 30 years ago it was all about getting the cars out of the city and now it is all about saving the planet - What a time to be alive in. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Sorry. I am definitely triggered by that argument. I think it wastes a lot of time (sorry for that too).

A couple of people on this thread have mentioned the late 90’s.

I had a very revelatory experience in 2000.

The U.S. had finally not only balanced their national budget, but they had started to actually pay down the national debt.

Previous to this, there was this thing called the “Debt Clock” and it always stressed me out, watching it climb and climb.

But now, the debt was being paid down! So, this should be a celebration, right? One could feel good watching the debt instead go down and down.

Nope.

They put a fucking shroud over the clock when the national debt was being paid down. Which made no sense, we still had the national debt, it was going to take years to pay down, so why not show society the minute by minute progress towards this once vaunted goal?

Then, George W. Bush started going around in 2000 campaign mode as a conservative saying we needed to stop paying down the debt.

That’s when I knew the whole thing was bullshit.

They wanted us to have more debt collectively as a society.

They did not want prosperous, stable times.

2000 gave way to 2001.

1 Like