Your modulars

Good lord. Now I am GAS’ing for modular again. Damn. I absolutely love those r beny demos on YouTube.

1 Like

yes me too. there are some really great modular musicians on youtube.

I respect great modular music so much. Check out Chris Randall from Audio Damage / Sister Machine Gun. His modular synth release on detroitunderground is wonderful. https://detund.bandcamp.com/album/oscillator-breach

But I am thankful that my GAS for modular has passed. When I look at this stuff now, it’s like looking at food I am allergic to. I just think of all the pain instead of the reward.

7 Likes

chris randall is great. I watched his videos very often. I’m glad for you that you’ve overcome your modular lust. Mine’s exploding :smile: I think i have to try it. otherwise i’ll come back in some months and ask you the same questions again.

Chris is great. Everyone should follow his video blog on Youtube…lots of great tips and general entertainment. Funny dude, too…he kind of runs our local synth meetup group in Phoenix and is a real riot to talk to.

2 Likes

ok. yes. really. I admit the metropolis is a bad idea with this limited space. A4 has to do the job

2 Likes

Puhh. After a long long time of thinking about it, I finally ordered a case and my first modules :slight_smile: Can’t wait.

2 Likes

Don’t leave us in suspense! What did you get?

Braids, Maths, Disting, Tangle Quartet. I have planned the rest of the 3u case, but I don’t want to get all at once. These will keep me busy for quite some time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That will keep you busy for quite a while. I’ve got everything you listed except for Braids, which is one of the next modules on my list. Maths is super deep, and the Disting is a real box of tricks-I would recommend keeping a printout of the different modes and their locations, although this is less of an issue now with the new “Favorites” playlist. Have fun!

1 Like

Thanks! Some guy on muffwigglers made a nice overview sheet about the disting modes. What is the favourite playlist?

This is the first I’ve heard of this module. That’s nuts.

Eurorack and Reaktor?! See you never, dawg. :wink:

1 Like

It’s a feature with the latest firmware that allows you to select 16 different modes in a file on a MicroSD card, instead of having to flip through the different banks. I need to install it this weekend myself, since I like the module but hate switching around the banks and remembering what is what, but could easily remember just 16 of my favorites.

2 Likes

It’s super useful in any system, and a good way to explore different things in eurorack for little HP and $$. Definitely recommended.

I see, seems very handy.
Yes, since I try to stay small (audience is laughing…:)), I thought buying allrounders would be a good idea. Disting seems to be the definite allrounder, but also braids and maths. I’m going to add the ES-8 later and bring Reaktor Blocks to the party.

Can a synth like the Analog Keys get close to Eurorack output? Seems from most demos I see that Eurorack = sound source + modulation/lfo + filter. MI Clouds seems interesting but i have an OT. Just wondering if Eurorack is not the ‘Emperors New Clothes’. And believe me I would love to jump in to modular - still waiting to be convinced. I use an 0-Coast and love it.

I love the combo 0-Coast and A4 !
I use a regular track both for controlling the pitch and filter the 0C return…
This anihilated any GAS for modular : there is already plenty to go with this !
For me modular is a way to get this additive synthesis sound, and this kind of pure electricity cracks and bleeps.
0-Coast does that. A4 filters and modulations and FX do the rest.

3 Likes

Ahhhh I was thinking that 0-Coast plus A4 would be my GAS cure. I’ve been diving deep into my OT and getting a lot of strange an unpredictable behavior which also satisfies. I get the feeling that I would have to spend a lot of money to get pretty similar results? Tone shaping a sample using the combfilter and an lfo is a lot of fun on the OT. When I thought how much it would cost me if I bought the same modules in Eurorack then I paused - I mean sequencer + soundsource/sampler + plus filter + plus lfo/modulation + case = lots of money.

Yes indeed. And the more you add modules, the harder it gets to reproduce a track.
Stay safe, resist diving into the ocean :smile:

1 Like

I find modular most interesting when not trying to build a synth voice out of modules, it’s best when you have assembled a box that has no equivalent.

But hey it’s all good in the hood