Your modulars

This picture here is my dream modular setup. Add to this a Digitakt or Octatrack plus RYTM.
Modular Grid copy not working. Hang on a second.

Looks good and manageable. Love the elementsā€¦itā€™s badass.

O.k so here is my dream set up.

@sNzo8
Just do it like that. You will get a feel for what is missing only if you try patching for a while.
You most likely will swap modules sooner or later anyway.

But I think a nice 3U effects system would be great to start. There is a thread somewhere that lists Datalineā€™s (Cenkā€™s) Eurorack system that he uses live.

Nice. But whatā€™s the point showing him a setup with completely different modules?

There isnā€™t a point really. But I thought I would show what a well-planned system looks like.

Unfortunately i donā€™t know all of the modules. Maybe you could explain why this is well planed and what you can do with it. Do you have audio examples maybe that would be interessting to me. What do you do with that all that stuff? So warps is for modulationā€¦STO and Elements are soundsourcesā€¦the expert sleepers thing for cv from a computerā€¦shapeshifter is a badass filterā€¦the tiptop thing a badass effect. The rest i donā€™t know so wellā€¦ How does it work in general?

Thanks. I guess thatā€™s the way to go.

1 Like

Warps has the parasites firmware installed and is a great waveshaper - plus has amazing delay effect. Elements can be used as an effect (great reverb) and as a sound source (has 4 different modes so very versatile). Shapeshifter is crazy and can also be used as a vocoder. Expert Sleepers midi in module is amazingly versatile and can sequence what ever you want. STO is great as an FM source or second osc. Morphogene handles samples and loops. Pamelaā€™s Work out and the Ornament and Crime module are incredible versatile interms of modulation. Jonalogue filter is a lovely dual filter.
If you want a 3U system where you are processing audio I would go for Warps, Clouds, a nice filter, a clock source and a modulation source. Iā€™ll post a picture of the 3U rack I use at the moment. You donā€™t always need a VCA if you are processing external audio - but you do need a clock source for the modulations. I actually use a Keystep keyboard.

This is what I use at the moment.

So I have two Warps because with the parasites firmware I get 8 different algorithms to shape my sounds. They are mostly wavefolders and can also act kind of like a dual VCO (when used together). They also have oscillators that are used to mangle/shape sound. When you put the output of your RYTM through them it sounds great. Plus I send some of my iPad synths through them to get them extra crunchy. The Ornament and Crimes module can be a sequencer or 4xLFO or 4x envelopes plus plus. This is my main mod source (example I use an LFO to change the algorithms on Warps). Tides is using the parasites firmware and can be a random clock source plus synth voice plus function generator. Elements is a crazy module that I use as an effects module or as a stand alone voice that I sequence from my Keystep or Digitone. You can play RYTM through it and get some ā€˜end of universe soundsā€™. The Doepfer mixer is just a useful mixer to get sounds into my computer via Digitone inputs.
I sample a lot and use Maschine to create tracks with those samples. A live setup is very unpredictable and needs to be carefully managed.
Anyway - I know all of my modules really well and have bought and sold a ton (I stayed away from Clouds :slight_smile: ). I think you need to buy second-hand then experiment and see what fits for you. I know what works for me, but with modular its impossible to give exact recommendations. So thatā€™s why Iā€™m posting some examples.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I only knew parasites firmware for Clouds. ā€¦i will have a look into that. Clouds and Elements are definitely on my list. Microclouds/Elements pobably, as it is too big for me. I was thinking about the Jove Filter eventually. Thanks for the tipp with Cenkā€™s effects rackā€¦i watched the interviewā€¦that was a good explanation how he uses it. I didnā€™t plan to use modular for effects onlyā€¦but thats also an interessting approach i will think about.

So thatā€™s a studio/live hybrid setup? Now Iā€™m supercurious what your live sounds like. I imagine it awesome. Do you have a bandcamp soundcloud or something where i can hear this or similar setup in liveuse?

Nothing wrong with a Neutron. Great semimodular starting point.
Maths and Pam give you tons of additional modulation and gates and trigs.
Plaits is one of the most versatile soundsources especially for the money and itā€™s tiny hp.
The Sq1 is a nice sequencer to start with.
Not sure if you need an additional filter, plaits doesnā€™t really need one, it has a built in lowpass gate and in general has controls over the harmonic content.
You donā€™t need too many VCAā€™s imo in this setup. Neutron hast its own, plaits has one built in, and regarding controlling/attenuating modulations (for which VCAs are often used for) Maths has itā€™s own + 2 additional Attenuators and Pam has built in attenuation for each of itā€™s 8 channels.

So I say, stick to your plan. Looks fun. If you want/need more stuff put the neutron and the sq1 out of the rack and you have plenty additional space.
To each their own, everyone will recommend you a completely different rack and different modules.
But you chose yours for a reason.

Btw. I love the mutable stuff, but there are many people that donā€™t like the sound of Warps/clouds/elements etc. So be sure to check if you like the sound of them. All digital.
Elements is modal synthesis and worlds apart from a Neutron

I donā€™t have Soundcloud and I donā€™t publish my music but if you know Mika Vainio (check on Spotify) then I aspire to that kind of music. The issue I have in music making is that I want the music to express something in my heart or memory. I donā€™t really want to make beautiful well-organised music that gets liked. My modular setup is used purely to sculpt sounds that resonate with me. Perhaps this sounds pretentious but thatā€™s how I understand music.

3 Likes

You pretty much nailed my considerations. :slight_smile: Thanksā€¦i just worked out the combo of modules on a theoretical basisā€¦and with some vcv research. I guess it will work pretty good. Maybe i need some more attenuators to avoid menudiving with pamela while playingā€¦but as you already mentioned I guess i have to try it to find out. Canā€™t wait for monday, when my package arrives with my case maths and plaits. thanks for your evaluation. Pamela is sitting here and and getting depressive without a power source and other modules to play with. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Have fun! Iā€™m very convinced that your choice will play together very well.
I have Pam, I donā€™t think the menu diving is too bad. Itā€™s amazingly powerful

Absolutely not. Thatā€™s the most important aspect of making music. That it resonates with your inner world/soul whatever. To me itā€™s mostly therapy to be honest. I also am a bit annoyed from playing in front of audiences electronic music, as there are strong expectations in that kind of music to sound like this or that or a DJ Set. That sucks so i plan not to play much anymore and more concentrating in my style and redefining what i want to express for myself. I will look into Mika Vainio. Thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes

I just read your last sentence about the digital stuff. I checked Elements in VCV Rack some days ago. Thatā€™s when i decided I need a modular. So i like the digital physical moddeling modules and mutable sound i guess. Also there is a weaker version of some rings algo in plaits which is badass :wink: For decent analog sound I have the neutronā€¦it has the same osc as prophet 5 and sh-101 and an interessting filter design which doesnā€™t drop volume in high resonance + the overdriveā€¦it sounds pretty oldschool in a good wayā€¦thats also why i decided to get a good digital oscillator as 3 voice. I*m happy i did no mistake so far. Plaits, Pamela and Maths is a no brainer basicly. By the way your bandcamp is ace. Top Mukke Alter. Cheers

Fine. Me too :slight_smile: But good, that you checked it. Vcv is really great for trying the mutable modules.

Herzlichen Dank! Freut mich.

1 Like