Your favourite bands that haven't influenced your music

I guess most of us listen to a variety of genres and many influences are indeed apparent in the music we make.

Nevertheless, I’ve come to realise that many of my favourite bands/genres haven’t made an (apparent) impact on the music I make. At least not in a way I can detect.

For example, since I was a teenager I listen a lot to bands such as Fields of the Nephilim, Bauhaus and Katatonia whereas the music I make is something like the following. :man_facepalming:

Do you have such examples?
Please post your favourites and some of your own music for reference if you like.

4 Likes

I still listen to Fields of the Nephilim and Bauhaus. I am sure they influence me but I still play a lot of guitar and I can see their style in some of the Post Rock I listen to.

2 Likes

True, playing an instrument that fits the genre makes a difference.

1 Like

Hiphop lets me smuggle in a lot of unexpected influences, but I haven’t done any Fever Ray-type sound design yet

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a band that I actually like that hasn’t influenced my music in some way.

I mean, I make “noise” for lack of a better immediately recognizable descriptor….

…but I am definitely thinking about Thin Lizzy’s entire catalogue AND Kylie Minogue’s 2001 hit “Can’t Get You Out Of My Head” at almost any given moment.

EDIT- I absolutely adore the bands you mentioned, and Daniel Ash helped my very young ears open up to playing guitar “different”

I guess I was trying to say that, no matter what I’m doing, I always save some minutiae regarding music I enjoy, production tidbits I read about Prince or Bowie, “oh, Sisters of Mercy and My Bloody Valentine liked that Yamaha reverb? Hmmmm” etc…

Haha, excellent!

I never thought of it like this to be honest. I guess I tried to find similarities composition-wise, i.e. “could this Siouxie melody could be in an Autechre song? Probably not…”

On the other hand there is a bunch of kids songs that would be great as punk covers :grimacing: