Your airplane kit?

Can confirm, I have used a Monotribe on multiple flights under the influence with a microcassette recorder, this combination works very well.

3 Likes

And as it’s hand luggage I’ve always been prepared for an over zealous security team to question the device but alas I’ve not yet been suspicious enough to be required to perform an ad hoc Acid slammer in front of bewildered staff/passengers.

But I know I could :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Tryna do music on long trips gets old real quick for me. I’m a big fan of: quietly looking out the window, iPods, reading books, sleeping, writing, and the occasional in-flight entertainment.

But to try and answer the question properly, I can easily get lost for hours if I’m mucking around with purely technical stuff - so having Reaktor/PD/Max and a pair of headphones would likely fit the bill if we’re talking music. Especially since I’m likely to have a laptop with me anyway.

1 Like

Both of these for me for sure.

My flight kit these days would be a nice pair of noise cancelling headphones and M8… but I probably wouldn’t get around to it and would probably end up spending the flight either listening to podcasts or reading a book.

Also wtf, has nobody in this thread heard of noise cancelling headphones? My Nuraphones were a godsend when I flew to Europe a few years back (I also took my gameboy micro and nanoloop 2 along with me, didn’t write on the plane but wrote a lot in hotel rooms while waiting for my partner to wake up).

2 Likes

Sorry, Kairos is correct.
Get yourself drambo and sell your digitakt when you land.

Did you spell Drambuie wrong by any chance? Making a solid commitment to alcoholism is one option I suppose…

2 Likes

I would never recommend even my worst enemy to drink drambuie.
Why would one drink that when just scotch exists?

Edit: and why would one drink scotch when tequila exists?

1 Like

Well in that case, drinking it would certainly demonstrate a solid commitment! Don’t remember much about the taste (its been at least 15 years) but there’s prolly a good reason why I don’t remember ever choosing to drink it.

And so it doesn’t look like an obvious derail, getting hammered on the flight is another option.

Every time I’ve busted out my octatrack on a flight with power outs, every flight attendant has to ask what it is and seems completely confused when I try to tell them lol. In fact everyone around kinda stares at you for a minute.

If you have decent noise cancelling headphones (which you absolutely should if you fly a lot) it’s perfectly comfortable to get some work done on planes.

1 Like

To make things go as smooth as possible at security I always make double-sure all cabling and small gear is neatly wrapped and organized. The inspector can see what they need to see without rooting around, mi less hassle es su less hassle.

I use a pair of stage-style in-ear monitors for in-flight listening, they are designed for somewhat critical listening in noisy environments.

Last flight I brought a Rytm, to the confusion of my seatmates.

1 Like

M8 tracker should get a look in here (even though I missed the pre-orders).
It doesn’t get much more portable or fully featured than that right now?

2 Likes

I’ve taken a Deluge, and OP-Z, and an OP-1. I’ve sold my OP-Z at this point and the Deluge is probably my favorite thing. I’ll be getting an M8 whenever those preorders ship and that’ll probably be my go to for such situations. As much as I love playing the notes into a sequencer the random turbulence and sometimes lack of room make that hard to do, so having a device that I just program on that is in the form factor of a gameboy seems perfect.

I’ve taken a few flights with my OP-Z and I had fun with it. It really is ideal for travel. MC-101 would be pretty good too.

Anyone have a story of busting out a synth and having a randomly assigned seat neighbour also have some music gear?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else on a plane with recognizable hardware.

1 Like

no, but that could be pretty sweet (or potentially a nightmare if the seat mate and your tastes vary wildly). could also be a good reason to carry a small passive mixer, “just in case.”

i mostly see people messing with excel and word, which doesn’t motivate me to want to collaborate.

1 Like

Can you imagine pulling out a DT and your seat mate has a DN. I suppose it’s pretty unlikely. Synth nerds are a rare breed.

4 Likes

sounds like a buddy comedy/road trip film in the making.

5 Likes

OP-1 is the obvious winner. But tbh taking it anywhere out of the house, even in a case fills me with fear. Which is daft as it is cheaper than my laptop which gets dragged (and occasionally dropped) everywhere. These days, tbh its either noise cancelling headphones or Flare Isolates and eye shade and straight to sleep. Trying to be productive on a plane is pointless. Best to zone out and wake up hopefully rather nearer your destination.

1 Like

just got me MC-101. perfect for this.

2 Likes

Parade-pisser alert, but I wouldn’t fancy listening to someone else’s clicky clacky Elektron buttons for eight hours across the Atlantic… would drive me nuts

4 Likes