Steps to properly use a MIDI keyboard to grid edit

I’ve sequenced some midi parts in Ableton and recorded them into the a4, I imagine that’s also possible on DT. Was particularly useful for replicating finished tracks into something that can be performed live

But when you were recording onto the A4 was it recording the notes live? We’re talking about entering notes from an external source onto a trig without using live recording, but grid recording.

Yes, in grid recording mode hold down a trig button and then press one or more keys on your MIDI keyboard (if you do this whist having the Trig screen open you will see the applied note and velocity P-locks).
Make sure you are using the auto MIDI channel.

8 Likes

Paging @eangman

Don’t All the elektron boxes do this?

Great information! Thanks!!!

It was that auto midi channel! Lol thank you!

Probably, but if you didn’t own a Digitone, from reading the manual it seems that it can’t.

By comparison, the Digitakt manual specifically states that an external MIDI keyboard can be used to input notes for both live recording and grid recording.

3 Likes

Would you mind changing the title of your thread? Others might find this information helpful, but it’s not apparent what this thread is about from your title.

1 Like

Done.

3 Likes

Hi there. Yes you are indeed right. It can be done with the Digitone aswell. And yes, its not in the manual. I will fix that. Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Not here in OB mode either, would be helpful though.

Hi there. New Digitone user here. I’m using an external midi keyboard and would like to be able to set the note in trig mode using that keyboard while in grid edit mode. Unfortunately, when I go into settings > midi config > channels > Autochannel and set it to “1”, I’m still unable to change the note of a specific step with the midi keyboard. While in “trig” mode, i hold down the key/step that I’m on, and press a key on my keyboard, and nothing happens to the note, i.e., the note represented in the upper left of the screen (usually controlled by the “A” knob) does not change. What am I missing?

Auto channel should be unique if you want to use it sensibly. Leave it where it was as a default and set the external device to transmit on that exclusive channel.

It should work such that holding the trig and pressing a note will set the note

1 Like

It is on 10 by default, so I put it back to that from 1. Then I set my midi device (it’s actually a Sub 37) to transmit on channel 10. Still, while in grid mode, if I press a key on the Sub 37 the correct pitch comes out of the Elektron and into my DAW, but the Digitone doesn’t change the actual note for that step, it stays as it is.

Are you holding down the trig button on the Digitone while you play the note on the midi keyboard?

I’ve tried holding down the step, and holding down the trig button separately and together. No luck.

Just for clarity, are you in grid record mode (record button lit solid red)? Are you able to add and remove notes in the sequence by pressing the sequence buttons normally?

Yes, I’m in grid mode. Pressing a step/note key activates that step where I can then adjust the pitch using the “A” knob. Pressing again deactivates it. The red button is lit up solid. And yes, I’m holding down “TRIG”, but that doesn’t do anything.

It shouldn’t - you’re only meant to hold down the trig(step) you want to p-lock, just as you do already with the encoder

you need to be in grid edit mode as you have described

is the sub37 playing notes for you - i.e. is the MIDI settings permitting any DIN MIDI connection etc

I’ll try on a DN to make sure it’s not buggy

ps Hold the step, play in the note, release that step