Xone 96 Mixer

Oh no scrap that! You can toggle output to MST with the on/off button.

Great - so it should work as expected? I’ll probably order a Xone 96 and see if it works. In the worst of cases I can still send it back within 30 days.

Yes I think it will work for you.

I think I know what was going on. Firefox was probably sounding in 32bit mode but ignoring the output channel assignment in Audio MIDI Setup. It 's playing on 1/2 in 16 bit mode even though I have it set to 5/6 in. Other apps do it correctly.

I mixed my first 2 tracks on the X96. Loving it! It’s so great to have 2 extra filters to morph sound layers. R2-6 makes heavy use of that, see here:

2 Likes

Hey,

Little feedback: I’ve played my first ever show with the OT2, AR2 and Xone 96.
It’s really smooth, I like it a lot, although it’s he first DJ mixer I’ve ever touched.
I accidentally activated the filter with my violin bow once, haha :smiley:

5 Likes

I can t find this anywhere (probably because it ain t so) but does OSX class compliant mean iOS compliance too? Would be pretty neat to hook up an iPad to the X96 via USB…

Hi,

I came here for a question but can answer that question: today I tried and yes, the xone 96 is used by the iPad, so beautiful! So I have some gear plugged in the mixer, sending clock to the iPad and Aum outputting to the Xone, it just works :blush:

That gave me the idea to use the ipad for an insert FX via usb in and out but I can’t see a way to do that… I can send 11/12 from Master to to the iPad but that’s not an insert situation, I’d have to send the signal back into one of the tracks which would create a feedback situation.

Am I missing something?

I have a question about the heat the unit produces: mine gets really hot, after a while I can barely touch the right hand side, and the top plate gets warm as well. Is yours the same? Thomann proposed a replacement which is nice, I’ll go for it but wanted to check with other owners…

Apart from that, what a fantastic mixer! It sounds great, invites to jamming, the filters and eq are amazing, connectivity as well, analog, to and from the computer or iPad which truly allows me to make music with pout the computer and still benefit from some digital wast world… I am in love with that mixer! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Mines gets pretty warm too. I dont think its anything to worry about.

Also if you look into the manual theres a table showing the input and output routings which you can set up to the Ipad. Id hope it behaves like using with a daw etc. Im sure the 2 sends are on outputs 9/10 and 11/12(youll need mixer button engaged for 11/12 as send rather than master). The you will have to set up the return channels for effected signal. Channels A/B are good for this. They are inputs 9/10 and 11/12. This gives good option to eq/filter/ fade returns.

Edit - just noticed you wanted an insert fx on usb. Dont think this possible. Only hardware insert option as far as Im aware. Still worth trying the send options I mentioned. Then any one or all can be effected by using send knobs

1 Like

Thanks for the warm answer (pun intended :blush:), yes, it’s hard to know whether it’s normal warm or not…

Indeed, I was thinking about master insert, but that’s just not possible, I’m asking in case there’s some magic I’m not aware of!

Ill think but I dont think possible. Not unless you sent the master to Ipad and then went from Ipad jack out to speakers.

I use a RMX1000 on my master insert jacks. Works well

I thought about that, speakers from iPad, but it hurts my feelings somehow…

My plan B is to buy an analog heat one of these days. Plug it as an insert in the master, to be used as a master FX but also, as a processor to resampler in the Digitakt, which has its inputs getting audio from Master 2 on the Xone. It’s a great way for me to shape the sound to resampler via eq, filter, and then the AH…

2 Likes

Awesome! I still didnt get myself an apple camera kit to try.

I don t think you can create a master insert via usb either, sadly.

Mine gets hot too, especially on the right. But not to the point of burning skin. I saw a statement by a&h somewhere saying that there s a ton of circuitry inside that causes this and that it s normal.

1 Like

Depending on which iPad you use, mine has a USB C port and I use a third party haub which can be powered, it charges the iPad and I can connect a Launchpad, the Digitakt, a keyboard. Amazing music setup, it’s fun, for me anyways.

Ok so camera kit is for lightning ports and newer models with USB-C support hubs without adapter? Pretty sure mine is lightning though, will check.

Yes, iPad pro has a USB C. I bet you can plug a USB hub in the camera kit for lightning models though.

1 Like

Yeh doesnt seem right going out ipad lol…still could be worth a little blast from time to time.

Yeh heat would be nice on master insert. Thought about this myself but went for rmx fx. Even still thinking maybe add the heat and have a master chain of rmx/heat.

Do you use the send/returns for fx? Ive got kaoss pads on mine.

Yes I use the sends, one with an Eventide H9, the other with a Space+Timefactor. I really like this mixer, best blend of jamming and producing something that can be listened to later as well.

1 Like

I have H9 and Space on the sends too. And I have the AH on a cue/phones out (method described earlier in this thread).

Btw, if you really need that USB insert on the master you can use a similar cue trick but you have to sacrifice a channel and cue functionality for it and mix output volume/metering gets tricky:

• grab master channel over USB
  • return processed signal via USB on an analog channel
  • keep channel fader down, activate cue only on this channel
  • set phones 2 selector to this channel, blend full on cue
  • phones 2 output is now your master output with USB processing inserted
4 Likes