WTF is music, anyway?

sound that elicits an emotional response in it’s recipient

“what is music but organized noises?”

Edgard Varèse

5 Likes

Noise is music. Music is noise.

It’s just an idea. There’s no music, tho I love it nevertheless.

Great comments here. To me, music is some sort of mirror, occupying waves we can hear and feel, at speeds that hold together in some way, however tenuous, as a “piece”, like our bodies. I like the “organized noise” quote in this context as well, as we are organized beings. I also like to think of all music as inherently playful. Even the darkest and saddest music is still “played”. For me music is the strongest reflection of our ludic cores, as any sound can be musical to the right ear in the right moment. My favourite music quote was uttered by Friedrich Nietzsche:

"Without music, life would be a mistake.”

1 Like

I’ll bet you’re fun at parties.

Did you used to be one of those people that, when asked “what’s up?” You’d respond with “the sky”/“the ceiling”?

2 Likes

This. The universe is structured on musical principles, so it’s all around us and IS us.

I think it was John Cage who said something like: “There is no noise, only sound.”

Anyway, good topic to muse about :wink:

Process and product are both important to my work, but musical processes are by far the things that help me heal and move forward on a daily basis.

1 Like

no. i’d respond: «the starry sky, and the moral law within.»

2 Likes

Kant?

Time, like music, is a man-made creation. Music, like time, is relative. Before mankind, the only songs were made by the birds. Rock and roll, however, will never die.

He kan do whatever he wants

1 Like

I’ve always thought of music to be less about sound and more about the spaces between sounds. Then I discovered drone and my ideas morphed into perceptible changes within sound which can be sudden or barely there at all.
Music may be described as sound arranged in such a way as to illicit a response but I tend not to talk in terms of music because I’m really interested in sound. Painting & sculpture is all to do with light & can easily be contained but the ideas around it cannot, sound is harder to contain so I like to think of it more like life, just messy ideas that spill & leak all over the place.

I’ve listened to shear beauty & extreme horror & I’ve gotten something useful from both so maybe it’s all about energy.
I’ll leave it there before I disappear up my own arse :slight_smile:

yes. i graduated the faculty of philosophy at the infamous building that looks like the gates of hell.

3 Likes

I would have run a mile rather than go in there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i went there for 5 years, sometimes even not stoned :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Sound is part of the origin of the universe, long before the light

Did you get to drink the blood of virgins at the graduation do? Asking for a friend.

we had this debate in college music theory and basically our professor boiled it down to this:

music is organized sound.

the emphasis is on ‘organized’ or, like, ‘assembled.’

after, as my professor would claim, people like John Cage and Harry Parch, et al., started really pushing the boundaries of ‘what is music,’ people started to accept “non-musical” tones in their music. Prof’ says it’s the organizing of those sounds that makes it ‘music.’ can’t say i agree 100% but i got what he was saying at the time.

i know a few noise musicians whose whole ethos is that music is a subset of noise. …noise is everything… to them.

4 Likes

Whoa! I like that

1 Like

in 90s virgins were too ̶d̶r̶u̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶hard to find :grin:

2 Likes