WTF are my machines doing? moments

I had the biggest “WTF is going on” moment with gear yesterday. I did a barter trade and got my hands on a Lifeforms SV-1. My first bit of eurorack. I plug midi out from OT into SV-1, audio from SV into desk. I turn on the SV-1, some terrible humming, weak signal and the output from the SV-1 was somehow being picked up by the OT’s main outs (I had tested the SV-1 elsewhere before the swap). I disconnected the audio out from the SV-1, and the audio signal from the SC-1 was still being picked up by the OT (nothing hooked up to the audio ins)!

It put me in a state of confusion nervous shock for a minute or two until I figured it was a grounding issue. I was also afraid it could have damaged the Lifeforms. I plugged the Sv-1 into another strip and to my great relief all was fine: well better than fine because to my ears the SV-1 sounds absolutely fantastic. From shock and fear to euphoria in the space of five minutes!

You sure you didn’t plug the midi into the wrong port. I’ve done that and it creates some dirty noise. My trademark is plugging Octa power into A4 an getting power but no sound - done that at a gig :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Midi connection was definitely in the right hole: verified when I switched the power supply to another strip. I swear, I disconnected everything but midi and yet the feedback somehow made it’s way to the OT signal. Not something I plan to replicate!

1 Like

Haha gremlins man!!! Maybe you you were radiating some kind of strange magnetic forces or releasing particularly strong electrical impulses from the brain. (sounds like the marketing blurb for a new soma product!!!)

1 Like

It’s only a matter of time before something like this is applied in a random generator module for instant hands-off ambient gratification. You’ve got the blurb my man, find a tech!

1 Like