Wrong BPM through Midi

Hi fellow Elektronauts,
I have a strange issue with the M:S and external Midi device (iPad running Zenbeats).
So I have connected everything, and I can controll Zenbeats through the M:S i.e playing notes through the tracks.
But when I start the M:S sequencer Zenbeats interprets the tempo all wrong. I have set the M:S sequence to 120, but Zenbeats thinks it it is 150.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong here!

rgds
/ Richard

Are you really talking about a MIDI clock issue (the title suggests so) or do you mean tempo detection by analyzing the audio? Because these are completely different issues.

IMHO it’s technically impossible that MIDI clock is off that far.

1 Like

Yes, Midi clock issue.
I agree about the ammount that is off, and that is what puzzles me.

Here is how I connect:

I have cofigured the M:S track 3 to CH1, and track 6 to CH2. M:S midi OUT is connected through midi cable to midi IN on my Microkorg. Setting the Microkorg to CH1 works as it should, playing M:S track 3 makes Microkorg react.
Then I have connected the Yamaha BT-01 (bluetooth midi) to the midi THRU on the Microkorg, and configured the iPad midi IN to the BT-01.
On the iPad i run Zenbeats and have an instrument track set to receive midi on ch2, and that works fine to (when playing Track 6 on the M:S).
So the MIDI communication seems ok, but as soon as I start the pattern on the M:S the BPM in Zenbeats go from 120 to 150 (and I can se that it is adjusting up and down 1 or 2 BPM).

Here is a video of the phenomenon :slight_smile:

Try connecting directly to the iPad. See if the problem persists. If yes, then you know it is something between your M:S and your iPad.

You can then check if the tempo sync between your M:S and possibly another device works. This would rule out any issues on the M:S side, which leaves the iPad and your Bluetooth adaptor.

You could then try syncing with another app. If that works, it’s Zenbeats that has the issue, if not, it could be something with your Bluetooth adapter & setup.

2 Likes

Ok, so I finally got to connect the M:S directly to the iPad Pro through USB.
Now the difference in the clock is not 30BPM, but 1. So enoying… If I set the tempo on the M:S to 120 and press start, Zenbeat automaticly adjust its bpm to 121. I can compensate on the M:S to 121, and it works, kind off. But this is starting to get really frustrating.
I did a test in Korg Gadget, seems to work better (you cant see the bpm adjustment live as in Zenbeats), but I am almost certain that the beat is so slightly off, If I have two Bass Drums the one in Gadget is a tad late. So there is def. something not working as it should in the pad.
Just to be sure that the Elektron is working as It should I connected it directly through Midi Out to my ER1, and everything is syncing as it should.
In this video I start at 125, and it seem to work ok, but when turning it down to 120 you see the problem, same thing happens if I start at 120 on the M:S, as described above:

1 Like

…many, many ios apps are against any promises pretty buggy…

use garageband or cubasis3 or aum as a host daw app to establish some kind of command center…
use only apps that are vst3 certificated…and verified by other users already…
like korgs gadget, u mentioned already…no real daw host, though, but a prooven app…
zenbeats on the other hand, just as an example, i have never heard of before…
and i’m investigating a lot on ios music apps at the moment, to get my son started…

…let ur m:s follow the host clock…don’t wonder if u see any jitter fluctuation in tempo…
that is normal…

if u slave ipad apps via the m:s, u’ll always end up in some kind of mess…

1 Like

Glad that you’re getting closer.

I’m not sure how Zenbeats renders its midi clock, but a slight drift in the clock / BPM when syncing via Midi is normal (e.g. my OT is the master in my hardware setup and thr BPM on my other hardware units will jitter/drift by up to 0.8bpm - but everything is still in time). Have you tried running the two sequencers at that speed for a bit. Do you experience the Zenbeats App shifting noticeable out of time? If so, it’s not syncing properly. If no, it could just be that Zenbeats rounds up any drift to the next highest whole BPM.

I’ve downloaded Zenbeats to see if I can help you resolve the issue, but it won’t run properly on my iPad, so I’m not sure how buggy the app is as such.

Do you own the Audiobus app? And/or AUM? You could also midi sync via Audiobus (M:S as master), that usually works quite well for me.

1 Like

Drifting up and down is ok, as long as it stays in the “pocket” but this issue is drifting, it sets it to 1BPM higher and after 30sec you have almost a backbeat, so def. something iffy with Zenbeat.
I just started looking at the AUM, and Midi Link Sync, will give that a go next to see if I can come any closer. :slight_smile:
Really appreciate all your input and tries to help me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the input, mate!
I’ve kinda come to terms that I will probably have to run Zenbeats as the “master brain” but I don’t like it :slight_smile:
I want the M:S to be my brain, and the pad to just supply extra stuff :wink:

…if u use the ipad and the m:s in any kind of sync, ipad will prefer to host the master clock…
no way around it…

and makes no difference to ur plans to keep m:s as ur main tool anyways…

zenbeats…what is that?..an app by roland !?..as ur pic suggests…
sounds “ifty” for real…

give aum a try…that’s prooven stable and hosts a lot…
it might even spread out the m:s clock successfully to all this app synth and whatnot…

u won’t find the swedish sequencer concept in any form as an app…but be aware of the fact, that quite a few apps can do a proper one shot sampler job also…

ipad does not only provide the xtra stuff…six monophonic sample trax is pretty nothing in the app world…and touch surface handling has it’s own advantages…

if all fails…just focus on m:s stand alone and then record it to the pad and take it from there…
aum is a great mixing enviroment…for audio and midi mangling…

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts.
I will def. check out AUM, seems to be a very powerful tool, and crossing my fingers it might solve some clock issues as well :wink:

Just a quick update.
So I have just spent some time reconfiguring everything.
Now I run ZB (iPad) as master, still connecting to M:S through USB. M:S connects to the ER1 through Midi out, ER1 connects to Microkorg through Midi Thru.
Starting everything from ZB now works perfectly, when ZB is master the clock seems to be working just as it should. So now I just have to wrap my head around a workflow using this setup instead :smiley:
I really like Zenbeats since the workflow there is a bit like Garageband with the loops, so now I just have to start to create something.

Thanks again for all your help!

Great forum! :smiley: