Writing an entire Album w/ OTmk1

Hey! Thought I’d share my latest Elektron heavy project here. I’ve recently been forced to sell all my synths due to some disability related financial difficulties… I almost sold my Octatrack but then decided to keep it, hang on to it for dear life, and live off of miso soup. Before I sold most of my gear, I had come up with a specific break aesthetic and sound, and it felt like selling everything was the end of the world…

But then I watched some of the Model Samples demo videos and realized, oh hey, my Octatrack is a synth too! So I’ve been writing an entire album using the OT, its arranger, a borrowed Volca Bass, and my Alesis QSR rack synth that nobody wanted to buy.

I’ve been using an interface that somebody found in the street, and mastered the tracks in an evaluation version of Reaper using free plugins (and my free copy of Soundtoys Little Plate)

Committing to this process has actually taught me that it doesn’t totally matter what gear you have, as long as you have one piece of super complicated hardware that basically does everything… hah. Everything else is secondary. My GAS was curbed out of necessity and it turned out REALLY WELL!

Without further ado, my new single: https://mirrorframe.bandcamp.com/album/ascension-single

The title track is available on Spotify and Apple music, and my Soundcloud (mirror frame,) but you get an extra track if you buy it off my Bandcamp. Full album will be released in a couple more weeks! If you can afford to pay for it, please do, as I’m about to have surgery and can’t work right now. :slight_smile:

Cheers <3

26 Likes

Hell yeah, dude. Can’t listen yet, but just wanted to give props to this punk rock can-do post.

1 Like

Nice song… I really like how the song evolves with all those changes.

I was wondering did you use the OT arranger to do this or change patterns manually?

1 Like

Im not a dude but thanks haha

9 Likes

Arranger for Ascension, there are a ton of fine details in there that could only be done in there, especially with switching banks. Its using 17 different patterns with a lot of mute switching per line.

Blissful Garbage was done just using 1 pattern, which definitely didnt need an arranger lol. Tried to go for a polar opposite repetitive hypnotic feel, much like Auvrel (Simon from Elektron)'s work.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. It sounded quite detailed and structured which made me query whether the arranger was used. I’ve been meaning to learn how to use it myself for this very same reason. :+1:t5:

Heheh! Good to know. I’m a Californian, and call my wife dude all the time without noticing I’m doing it. Local slang :joy: sorry!

2 Likes

I wish you lots of healing and hope you return to good health. Life for me went to a place where I put all my gear in storage and have lived in or camped next to my car for almost a year now. My OT and AR come out every so often, just grabbed my electric guitar today, stoked. Music is the best!! Music is Life!! I wouldn’t enjoy a house without being able to rock. I bookmarked and will check out the tune later, and the album progess… Good vibes and lots of good lovin healing juju your way…

3 Likes

As much as I empathize with your situation, I’d also like to express a thank you for this inspiring and atmospheric piece of music. I bought it and am listening to it now, for the only reason that I think it’s that good.

With that said, I wish you the best possible outcome on your journey onwards.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope things will get better for you soon.
Nice tracks, sounds like a bit of a hurdle to make them, but sometimes that works out in your favor. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for the support everyone! <3 Stay tuned for the rest of the album.

2 Likes

Really, really nice work here. Don’t let that Octatrack go - you’re making inspiring works with it.

1 Like

Ascension :+1:t5: :+1:t5: :+1:t5: