Wow Flutter old tape effect

Had a quick go at setting LFOs to do some old tape/boards of Canada etc kinda vibe but couldn’t really nail it for the right kind of tape wonkiness. Anyone had any luck with that kind of thing on OT?

Also quickly checked out the Track 8 as Master function. Seems like LFOs on Master track do nothing when trying to use them to modulate pitch of the full mix? Occurs to me now that maybe I need to put trigless trigs on Master track or something similar?

Maybe a short delay with dry signal & feedback all the way down, modulated by a slow, shallow LFO (e.g. use the LFO designer to make one that goes from -4 to 4 instead of -64 to 63)?

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try those settings. Love the OT but still wish it had a few more effects like other samplers. Would make things much quicker & more authentic sounding for certain things… Hoping to have some time to mess with external effects send/return this week…

1 Like

Make a custom lfo as @license says. I’d possibly add to make the points a bit irregular both in value and distance apart. TRIG+TEMPO to interpolate. Assign the lfo to delay TIME, and also to filter WDTH (at different speeds and depths). Saturate the filter to taste. If you have a neighbor track on hand, add a handsome amount of LOFI BRR pre-filter, and a compressor at the end of the chain, like so: LOFI-FILT-DELAY-COMP.

I feedback and splice a lot of actual tape and this chain has had me scratching my head on which is which a number of times.

EDIT: p-lock RATE with slide trigs for tape inertia type jumps and effects.

3 Likes

This sounds really promising, excited to dial it in later and hear how it sounds. Don’t know if you’re familiar with the ‘lo-fi junky’ pedal, im trying to have that kind of effect available in OT. Haven’t tried neighbor tracks at all yet, think I was being weirdly precious about losing a track, happy to sacrifice one if can get close to the effect I want tho :wink: shame Neighbor tracks aren’t routable, would be cool to be able to bus a few tracks to certain effect chains. From what I read in another thread its to do with OT using 2 CPU (tracks 1-4, tracks 5-8). So it doesn’t seem like that’ll ever change.
I’d love to try some real tape splicing/feedback/loops etc some time. Always kinda scares me. I think growing up with mainly Daw has left me lazy and nervous in general when comes to destructive editing etc. Something I wish I could shake off and just get lost in processes without anticipating stuff and just see where it goes…

Right.

You can make your own FX send by routing CUE to one of the input pairs. You need to set the cueing behavior to “studio” (see manual). Then create a THRU track with your chain (neighbor tracks optional), then use CUE level to route each track to taste.

Sweet. Didn’t think of that :slight_smile:
Had some good results when I tried your fx chain earlier today, thanks. Couldn’t match your fx chain order tho due to not being able to put a delay in the 3rd fx slot (1st fx slot on neighbor track), I had to put it after the compressor. Is there a workaround without using 2 neighbour tracks? or not worth the hassle?

Good point! My mistake. LOFI-DELAY-FILT-COMP would be my real-world (as opposed to selective memory) version. But experiment with which order sounds the best for your stuff/content/flow!!!