Would this work?!

I want to make my machinedrum do some really sporadic things. Basically turn it into ReNoise being used by Aaron Funk. The plan is to take a bank and start it with one full pattern at A1, and then fill the rest with 1-2 beat chops.

Here’s where the science comes in:

I should be getting an A4 here shortly. What I intend to do is take the CV, fill it with conditional trigs, send the CV to the trigger in of the MDUW, assign that to a MID machine, put a pitch LFO on the MID, have a midi cable going from the midi out of the MDUW to the Midi in and send random notes randomly triggered to randomly play random chops.

Would.

This.

Work?!

2 Likes

Bump

You will just have to try it yourself and see.

1 Like

Shoot. I hope this trade goes down then.

Scratch that, I forgot the RYTM can send that too. Will try tonight!

1 Like

I’d be curious to hear if this works!

1 Like

I’ll test it out tonight or tomorrow and will keep y’all updated.

If this works it opens a whole new realm of things. With the midi machines you could send controls to other machines and the random fills could be used to sporadic pattern a mess of other things!

With one of the Analog gear coupled with the MDUW, you could even do conditional retriggering in mono with one CV setting trigger to rom-rec with the other input pulling the audio.

I wonder if there’s a way to send a record trigger from the MD to the OT to have conditional sampling on there…

I mean, if you set the MDUW as master to control pattern changes on the OT and then have sample trigs on various patterns that will circle through in randomonity

Hashtag- Digitakt workarounds

Update #1

Ouroboro-ing the midi works. The pattern changes from the MIDI track, the LFO doesn’t seem to be changing the pitch of the MIDI note. Once that’s resolved, there’s no reason why this couldn’t work.

1 Like

Update #2

The LFOs in the MDUW will not work for the MIDI machine Midi Note. SO, I sent an LFO from the OT to the MDUW to alternate the midi note for the midi machine. And it works. The pattern sequence is completely sporadic and that’s fantastic.

Have yet to try the trigger in to the MIDI machine, but that should be the simplest part of this. Will try tomorrow.

However, it’s pretty cool to just be able to trigger the changes by pushing the button–so I’m already feeling pretty successful about this. Would make for a great duo act of A4/MDUW. I don’t know if the Analog Heat can translate an LFO from the A4 CV to MD Midi, but that would be a magnificent minimal Elektron live gig right there. If not, then a zebra Trinity would surely work and the 15 other MIDI machines of the MDUW would provide ability to randomize your other boxes.

Sweet. I just invented my first Elektron trick :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hehe…

Have you used Fills/One shot trigs ?
One of my favorite trig condition, as you still have a tight control of what happens…
Makes it possible to infuse some control in your chaos…

As of right now, the OT is only sending an LFO to the MDUW. I’ve only sent trigs from the MDUW back to itself to figure out how to get the randomization down. I’ll try it with the AR tomorrow to get the conditional and the fills working. Since I don’t use all 16 voices for a kit, I’ll probably throw a few more midi machines onto the kit with static values for short pattern fills that I like so that o can trigger them on command. What’s really cool about this is that I can have one voice fluctuating through a different bank for fills and have various other trigs of the kit to commence patterns on command whenever I like. And the bounceback to the initial pattern probably means that this trick will probably not interrupt any sort of arranger method(regardless which box it’s coming from) so, the verse elements of the song can be wild as all get out, but the chorus elements can still be really simple sounding.

For songs with a tighter structure, I’ll probably just play the patterns off the sequencer like a piano.

I wonder how the resampling will work with the different patterns happening…

It’s a shame the lfo for the midi doesn’t work on the MDUW, otherwise if you wanted to switch banks you wanted to pull fills from you could easily do it by switching kits. Though, I suppose I could just replicate my midi track and mute/unmute patterns(while chaining the midi tracks)

Ah, the fact that there’s this much underneath the surface is what makes me really love Elektron.

Finally I’m going to be able to lengthy intricate sounding percussion :slight_smile:

Ryan congrats i think if you can imagine you can make it but i think the best part also is the creative process that push the walls… im keeping an eye on this because i have an evolver keyboard with CV and MDUW so i want to experiment this but didnt have an octa. Nice Post

1 Like

Totally new to CV; are you using some kind of CV>MIDI cable to achieve that?

I haven’t tried the CV yet, but on the MDUW the inputs can be used as drum triggers which will be assigned to the pattern trigger

Update #3: I test the cv trigger with A4s conditional trig, and it worked. Due to rearranging and spending time configuring he a4 and going sample hunting, I didn’t reconfigure and test the OT LFO on this. But all the pieces work separately and will put it all together tomorrow.

hi Ryan … this thread is fantastic!

I am dying for a little video of yours ! any chance you could record something with your smart phone ? quick and dirty?

great ideas you have!

+1 for Zebra Trinity!

2 Likes

You bet!

Another good idea for people that like fills. If you have another drum machine(I’ll be using the Octatrack) plug that into the machine drum, fill up a bank with 14 different fills, then midi map them, then create a kit of 14 midi notes and two input machines. Have the drum machine run through the MDUW. 14 fills you can play with just a tap of the sequencer trigger! (Be sure to replace the input machines with another active voice(first step) so it chokes the external percussion source)

dude… video !!! please!!!

1 Like

I’ll work on it today!

1 Like