Would an octatrack be overkill?

thx for sharing, awesome track !! yes I see what you mean, and I might be on 70% in what I can get out of the DT&DN and maybe I should get to 100% to know if I need an OT or not.

thanks for your insight,

1 Like

I don’t have the DT, but the DN. The DN is FM synthesis … if you wiggle even a wee amount on one of the many FM related parameters, or the FX, this thing as everything but static :wink:

1 Like

Curious: Does the OT really fill all the gaps:
I have a DT and DN as well (DN recently; not getting an OT any time soon but it’s something that will eventually happen)

The main thing I would want to solve is mixing/recording/song mode. Since I do those things in Ableton now.

1 Like

It doesn’t solve “recording”, because it cannot stream audio to the CF card (you are limited by RAM) nor does it provide simultaneous outputs for all tracks (only 2 stereo outs or 4 mono).

Mixing: well, it works as a kind of submixer (4 mono or 2 stereo inputs) and one stereo send (cue out). Sufficient for small setups.

3 Likes

So what is the role of an OT in combination with DT and DN? Is it more a live performance tool that allows you to play longer tracks / mixes?

I just hate the whole recording via ableton part now. I make a cool track and I want to share it that’s all :smiley:

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

@Skurdd The OP already nailed the main usages:

When you search this forum you will find many threads with tips, tricks and experience reports how people use the OT, like for example, this one:

4 Likes

Yeah if the OT is strong enough to basically replace Ableton (except for the recording) than that would be sufficient for sure. Not even to speak about the live performance possibilities!

If you can make a track sound good on the OT + DT + DN then multitrack recording wouldn’t matter as much since you can mix it a bit on the devices.
Thats my current gripe; DN and DT sound great but once I involve Ableton I cannot use Delay/reverb etc and it all sounds flat and shit really quick.

Thanks bro!

Max recording time with free RAM : 8m28s
You can record 8 tracks at the same time (1m04s max).
So you can record tracks / loops inside OT, mix them with on other patterns with Arranger, make premixes with resampling, etc…

Nah, including recording. More limited, but definitely doable.

…sounds as if you’re looking for permission to buy an Octatrack. :slight_smile:

On behalf of the Elektronauts forum, I hereby authorize you to purchase one Octatrack.

7 Likes

thanks now I am officially granted :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

OT is always overkill, that is why we love it haha.

Actually I have the same setup on a separate table in my studio.

DT+DN+OT.

OT is the glue that sticks everything together.

OT for live looping, live mangling, live FX on whatever comes out of the DT/DN combo, everything synced in midi.

OT for the win :space_invader:

4 Likes

The OT can totally do metal, btw.

Winged skulls with laser eyes flying through sewers, yeah it takes about 15 seconds to make that sound with scenes.

5 Likes

Nah… Get whatever you want. Once you acquire more than a couple pieces you might feel you have to use them all the time (I did…). But I’ve realized that though I absolutely love my setup, it doesn’t have to be used all at once. Doing so would likely crowd my tracks. The main aspect of improvement I’ve been focusing on this year is “less is more”.

You can easily produce entire tracks on the DT and DN separately, let alone combined. Octatrack just gives you more options and different routes.

I now have the luxury to pick and choose the gear I want on a track, it’s not a lot of gear like some collectors, but it’s quite nice to get an idea and choose from a few sets of colors on my palette.

4 Likes

After recently getting the OT, I don’t see much crossover with the Digitakt aside from the fact that it samples, but the sampling workflow is completely different. The DT and Rytm have the most crossover in my mind. I am just astounded at how good the OT is, and I’m learning more every single day.

If I had just a DT/DN/OT combo, I would see myself using the OT to time-stretch and slice DT beats, act as a mixer/compressor, apply scenes for transitions (things that are actually a bit challenging on the Digi-devices), and add all kinds of MIDI LFO craziness to add more modulation and side chain-like effects.

I’m not sure how you’d get something similar without spending a lot of time and/or money. No matter what, it would end up looking like a Rube Goldberg machine, so the fact the OT manages to do all of that in a neat form factor and without having a lot of bugs or being completely impossible to learn is impressive. As far as learning curve goes, if you like the Elektron workflow, OT is definitely MORE of it.

3 Likes

well I don’t want to do complete tracks, just patches, patterns, Parts and scenes and Go.
I think with OT you can jam for an half hour on a few patterns ?

Yes you can. I’ve done it live using just patterns, no need for song mode.

this is so true for performing dawless.
I once had like 5 grooveboxes and synths doing each of their unique things, And if I needed another function that the previous 5 didn’t have, I had to buy another gear to compliment that.

But nowadays you have to really be careful and research before you buy, there is a lot of gear out there that are the jack off all trades, but actually the master of none. And you end of with gear that tick all the boxes but doing it half right.

So sometimes I rather have gear that do 1 thing right.

For example, I have the Moog Minitaur, it’s not versatile, but it does one thing right and that is the classic moog sound. I could also acquire the SE-2 or the Boog (with lot of other sounds), but then I know and feel that I don’t have that authentic Moog sound.

Back to OT, I have researched it as a mad scientist, and I always come back to the OT, because there is really no other gear that can do with the OT can performance wise.

1 Like

Checkout the Digitakt Experience on YouTube by Dataline (Cenk)

You can jam on a couple patterns for 16 minutes apparently if you’re willing to create them live and are fluent enough.

2 Likes

thanks !! I will do that … :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow, seeing/hearing this, I must be on 25% of the capacity what I can do with a digitakt. And I have it for almost a year :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like