Would a DIY + Drive be Possible?

I have not been able to locate the nand chips but ill keep looking.

1 Like

Nand is just an inverted ā€˜andā€™ gate; but remember you can basically build a processor with just and/or (and their inversions) gates; so I think you could build the chip by many different means. How they interface/organize the gates is the magic part. You could build it with an FPGA and CAD tools I guessā€¦ But how is beyond me. I just started my first FPGA project at school, with a measly total of 3 gates :stuck_out_tongue: not much exciting tech to be made at that rudimentary levelā€¦

Is there no added memory involved with the +drive?

I guess ā€œNANDā€ here refers to the memory chip technology ā€œNAND-flashā€ and not the logic gate.
Seems totally doable project as long as the memory chip or technical equivalent is still available.

Unfortunately not. I need to get hold of a +drive and since I started this thread Iā€™ve had an eBay search saved in case someone sells one by itself but in all this time I have not seen one for sale. This means the only option is to buy another Machinedrum that already has a +drive which Iā€™m prepared to do when I have the funds. Unfortunately that wonā€™t be for a while because I have a lot of expenses this year so will likely be the end of the year/start of next before I can make any progress whatsoever. Itā€™s still my intention to do this but just going to have to wait a bit longer.

1 Like

This is the site I found when looking for them way back in 2022

https://www.win-source.net/products/detail/hynix-semiconductor/h26m21001dar.html

1 Like

oh dang, that seems too good to be true but ill see about giving it a try. What seemed weird to me about this listing and others for the H26M21001DAR is that i havenā€™t seen or been able to find a datasheet. even that listing you posted doesnt have it. if any one has one please feel free to share with me.

Maybe asking directly from Elektron?

1 Like
1 Like

Yes found that one me too, but if you open the linked pdf file, it is not a data sheet.

1 Like

Defective Md uw appeared on gumtree about 2 mth ago for $400
I was tempted to buy it and install the uw and plus drive.
But thought it better of it - the mucking around and so on.