Worth getting the Strymon Timeline for the Digitakt?

Wherever you’d like. Experiment with different routings. If you start getting a few more pedals you might enjoy using this Fx Patchbay.

2 Likes

Ah ! Okay Yes this is interesting !
No way to automate without feedback ?

I believe @immi was referring to the trick of midi cable out of the DT, and right back in. you can then use the DT’s midi CC control to further lock the CC’s of the delay engine.

@Fotopaul I typically put delays before reverbs but have done the opposite as well. you can do whatever you like.

2 Likes

Like people said already, always just try different orders of effects in your chain to see what you like. But often people put reverb at the end, which I do too. I like well defined delays, and if you put a reverb before it instead of the opposite, the delay will also delay all of that cloudy reverby sounds (sorry, not and English native, can’t think of a better word:)

Also what you could check into: some of the reverb types of the Timeline offer options in the menu for tweaking the high/lowpass (only the one or the other, I forgot which it is), which you can use to filter out I think up till 900Hz of lows. If you’re using it on a DT or a synth with different voices/parts at the same time, this can be useful to hone in on which parts you want to delay. For drums I’ve got two patches of my favorite presets saved, one with and one without the lows - helps a bit with not delaying the kicks but still delaying snares and hats.

Enjoy the pedal!

1 Like

you should take a look at the zen delay from erica synths
or the strymon volante.
both of those are a little more suited in my opinion.

1 Like

Thanx Everyone for chiming in! Really appreciate it!

After playing around with the TimeLine it’s evident that it’s really not that useful to me, not at this point.

Some of you rightfully pointed out that applying a delay to the full mix isn’t that useful and something you might want to do once every while. So for that odd occasion it’s too big an investment to just sit there most of the time.

So before getting more effects i really need a mixer with send and returns to get the most out of the effects and not being stuck to apply them statically to mix. And before that i need to make something worthwhile first… :slight_smile:

Also the Digitakts/Digitones delay per track basis is very useful and for me will be enough at this point.

What did like, just like with my BigSky is the NIXIE software and the ability to control it via midi, so automation is possible by using one of the midi tacks on either the DT/DN to adjust the dry/wet levels and other settings.

Something i’v started to explore with the BigSky and analog heat, a lot of fun for sure!

Thank you!

1 Like

Apart from a good reverb used subtly i’ve really started to cut down on the amount of FX i use on my mixer as Send/Returns. I’m relying more on the onboard fx from the synths & samplers themselves. Even if they’re not the greatest fx in comparison to dedicated units i find it helps me to separate the different elements well and mix the whole thing in a more coherent way.

1 Like

On a sidenote, i mentioned the Waldorf Streichfett which i also tested with the timeline, while fun and initially good sounding it was extremely disappointed. The noise floor was more like a roof… the hissing after each note played was just unacceptable. Sounded like a very noisy sample, and not intentionally…

So it was boxed up the same day, to bad because other than that it looked to be a fun box and rather affordable, build wasn’t bad considering the price either.

2 Likes

Are you sending the Timeline back?

Yes the TimeLine also got sent back, can simply not warrant to keep it, given the lack use for me right now.

1 Like

I totally I agree with your point that you need a mixer with sends and returns first. If you are fine with a basic analog mixer (no DAW integration), there are a lot of options for a reasonable price. Then hook one or two delay up in the sends, this will give you much your joy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanx, yeah a analog mixer is what I’m after, im using my AudioFuse Studio as interface and it works great.

Been looking at the

But at the time i will hold off since i don’t want to buy something just to figure out it won’t last more than a couple of months.

Also Digitone is hooked up to the BigSky (which is the only outboard effect i got) and i plan to route one of the output of the blackbox to the input of the Digitone for pads that i want reverb on.

honest opinion: effects like delay are best used when dedicated to a single sound (or two). buying a Timeline or even BigSky with a setup as simple as yours is likely going to be overkill. one: you’re generating the majority of your sounds from two devices which can’t have their individual sounds split out. two: because of that, you’re limited to how much you can use the effects, and have to deal with some workarounds or external investments to do so, and it’s not like they’re cheap effects or workarounds…

for sure, I think it’s worthwhile to invest in a mixer and effects. but I think you need to understand that with the DT and DN as your main sound sources, you’re going to be limited to how much you can use the effects, even via mixer options. BUT your setup and needs will grow and change. and having a solid mixer and effects built around it will help you have lots of options moving forward.

in short, it’s like if you had a drummer and a synth ensemble each hand you two stereo signals, even though there’s a dozen instruments in play. you know there’s a TON you could do with the instruments if you could only break them out. but you can’t. but maybe one day you can.

4 Likes

I totally agree with @chiasticon. To be honest, I assumed that for someone with a BigSky budget shouldn’t much too much of a constraint (you can easily get 5 decent effects for the price of the BigSky). Then again, I believe that a proper mixer can solve some issues here. I see a mixer with sends/returns as an instrument you can play the effects with (like in a dub setting). This way, you can do a lot, even without separate instrument outs. Yet again, for a box with many outputs (e.g. AR) the usage of external effects is much more flexible. And one final point: I think the quality of the internal effects of Digitone and Digitakt is supreme. I think there are boxes that benefit more from external effects due to the lack of (proper) internal effects processing.

Whilst the quality of the Digitones FX is good they are quite basic, particularly the delay.

@chiasticon
Honest opinion are often the best. :smile:

Well, everything in my setup is overkill as im merely a novice hobbyist using this as self-medication of sorts… :slight_smile:

But I hear you, most would probably not spend the money of BigSky when there are more affordable options out there. My reasoning is probably a little different, as I rarely want to buy something short term, and since midi control was a must a lot of pedals were cut off from the start.

Reverb is also a lot more universal in use IMHO, pretty much anything can sound good with a smidge of reverb… :slight_smile: The BigSky is really good, and easy and fun to use, coupled with automation I will have enough use of it to warrant it.

Also, maybe not many that would buy an AHMK II just starting out, and while I was reserved about it’s usefulness, I now feel it makes my DT come alive.

Of course, the lack of separate outputs for each track is a limitation, but so when I want/need to I can apply effects using a DAW for most tracks.

In the end, I will get a mixer with send/returns, but I will hold that off until I have more experience in terms of what I really need/want.

Thank you!

@Michael_S
Budget is always a factor :slight_smile: In this case it’s more about getting enough experience to make an informed purchase that will last. But it’s for sure the route I’m going! Thank you!

well yeah that applies to pretty much everyone here I think :rofl:

I would also say that part of my point was that if you want to expand to where you can treat individual drum or sample sounds with external effects, you should look into upgrading your DT to an OT. you get more internal effects for one, but you also get extra outputs. likewise…you can always upgrade your DN to a DN keys, for the individual outputs.

that said… I also think it’s awesome to just keep the simplicity of the setup you have and work within its restraints.

2 Likes

I suggest perhaps getting an sp404. A wide range of very useable FX, plus stereo sampling. You can apply the FX to your entire output, and/or add them to one of your tracks and either record into the 404 or put it back into your Digitakt.

Yeah but i already got a BlackBox, so multi effect rack would probably server me better.

As of now I’m satisfied with the effects i got though.

Thanx!

Ah sorry just saw your flow chart! Good stuff.