Digitone Arp + Soundlock bugs and crashes

You’re totally right and after doing some digging that seems to be the case. Kind of had my head up Xenomai which I have been playing around with a lot lately. (which is awesome btw, if anyone reading this cares about that sort of thing)

I know it’s just a figure of speech but nothing is worse than heroin. Nothing.
Digitone is addictive though. I had my guitar running through Zoia and into the DN last night and it was a beautiful ambient thing.

4 Likes

Yeah :slight_smile: , It was indeed as you say a matter of speech. And even though opiates, also to my younger self’s surprise, never really had any substantial/meaningful pull on me since they never really did/fixed/relieved anything for me personally, not even in the temporary sense of the word, I do have a frame of reference for what you’re communicating. :pray:t2: Didn’t mean to downplay the pull/hold that that class of compounds can exert on a person. Probably should have known better considering this is a forum filled with musicians :smirk: (to be totally honest I might not have been entirely sober while I wrote that either)

and yes out of all the gear I acquired that year, I was definitely least gassy about the digitone, which turned out almost exactly the other way around once I got it. If it hadn’t hard-coupled kits to patterns and if the arp&the transpose could be forced to play in scale, it would have been kinda perfect. Wouldn’t know what else to want from it… :thinking: … random, the arp also definitely lacks random.

I was the same exact way. I always dismissed the Digitone and then one day it just appealed to me for some reason. I just started messing with the arp last night so wasn’t aware about the lack of random. The fact that I can use it as a sound card in a pinch really impresses me. Now all I need to do is figure out how to route OT to external inputs while at the same time being able to sample DN into OT and use DN as audio interface without phase issues or nasty feedback. I know it can be done somehow, I just have to figure it out. And no offense taken, don’t worry about that. I have to be able to joke about the subject or I will fall victim to it again.

2 Likes

Yeah I can accept the kit per pattern coupling as a design choice, I don’t like/agree with it, but that one seems fair. The lack of the random arp&and transpose in key feel like blatant omissions to sell more machines. Which I get from a commercial perspective, but as someone that bought most of them its kinda jarring to have to setup a box twice the size next to it, just because of the commercial need to motivate others to buy into the same nuisance, while simultaneously losing some of the awesome tight sequencer<->sound-engine coupling which made me want these things in the first place. :man_facepalming:t2:

Yeah I think I saw you wonder about something similar in a different topic. Assuming I understand what you want to do: You can definitely do this with overbridge, I just checked that for you, just dial IN L and IN R to zero on the master page and record the input channel in your DAW. That way the input signal coming from your OT into the DN won’t be audible through the main outs of the DN and therefore won’t create a feedback loop into the OT. Even though you dialed it down to 0 on the master page, the signal will still come through in overbridge as a separate channel that you can then record.

The only limitation I see there is that you can’t apply the effects on top of the inputs on the master page of the DN, unless you apply none of the effects on the internal tracks that you send to the OT, because that would create a feedback loop for the effects. :thinking:

Now I’m 95% sure you can’t do what you want with the class compliant usb drivers since that output is stereo and as far as I know there is no way of creating the separation that you’re looking for.

(And happy to hear brother, from where I’m standing that is the only way :relieved:, whatever the subject)

1 Like

So I started working on a new pattern, again putting drums on T1 and while I started on adding a baseline to T2 I noticed something. The soundlocked arps of T1 affect the arp on T2 while voice stealing is off. This is also the case on the pattern that completely freezes the machine, I just hadn’t noticed it before, because there is a lot going on in that pattern audio wise.

So now I’m wondering if it is related to this:

Made a video showcasing the problem (same as in post liked above)

Hey @purplewizard I saw that you commented on my other post with the arps and now I seem to have the same (or atleast a similar) mystical problem as you have with the crashes. My Digitone freezes with a high pitch beep and then the savings I’ve done in that session seem to disappear. Its really annoying and It happens periodically in different projects. I have done a factory reset to no avail. Because the pattern I worked on disapears, I can’t really troubleshoot. But I didn’t have the master length at 256, I believe maybe 64, and I didn’t have all Arps running. But I did have drums on pattern one with different soundlocks with different probabilities and with diffrent arps on diffrent sounds, and an arp running on pattern 2.
Have you been able to demystify it so that you can avoid it from happening? Does your saving from that session disapear?

Hey, @Kaffekopp sorry for the late reply, been a bit preoccupied, but to answer your question:
No i have not had any disappearing data. I have just send in a ticket to elektron documenting the bugs and some video examples so, lets see what they say. For now if you want to avoid the crashes avoid soundlocking arps all over the place, that’s the only way I can get it to actually freeze.

Besides the two bugs described above I found a third one. I had noticed it many times while jamming live, so I was never in a position to bug hunt while it happened, but:

Adjusting any variable on the arp of the track sound will effect sound parameters (pitch at least) of soundlocked sounds. Sometimes temporarily and sometimes this change stays active until the sequencer is stopped. It seems that the temporary change happens when the soundlocked sound has its arp activated and the ‘‘permanent’’ change happens when the locked sound has its arp disabled; although I haven’t vigorously tested that particular hypothesis.

temporary change:

permanent until sequencer stop

2 Likes

@Kaffekopp @djst and anyone else who might be concerned about this: I have had some back and forth with elektron about this and they have confirmed these bugs and are looking for a solution.

8 Likes

Same just happened to me (

Any idea how to avoid it in a future?

Just made an account to say thanks for this detailed series of posts. I had this happen to me, was super scary, and managed to find this thread very easily.

I was using a track with an arp playing a kick drum pattern on it. There were some trig locks for one-shot claps in there, with varying probability. I sound locked a step with a hi-hat rhythm sound, also using an arp of its own, and let it run. I noticed it was taking over from the kick, so I removed the hi-hat trig so I could think about how to fit it into the track better. All normal so far.

Then, out of nowhere, I get a freeze-up and a scary high-pitched sound. I turned off the DN but then it wouldn’t turn back on again…I removed the DC in, waited a few seconds before plugging it in again, and then thankfully it turned on as normal.

Other things that might be worth knowing - there are two other tracks with arp on (bass and a muted copy of the hi-hat rhythm I was going to squish into the drum track with p-locks) but nothing else crazy going on.

Just thought I’d share in case anyone else was looking for similar experiences!

2 Likes

Welcome!
Thanks for chiming in…

1 Like

What OS you on?

I’m using Digitone 1.40

He! and welcome to the forum.

Thx for adding your story to the mix as well. Have you send a ticket to elektron as well? I haven’t been too active here in the last year or so, but last thing I read about it was that they are aware of the problem but don’t know what causes it and that it didn’t have a high priority because not many users reported the problem. So sending in a ticket even while they are aware of the problem might help in giving it a bit more priority.

Same goes for everyone else who would like to see this fixed, please let elektron know if you haven’t done so already.

3 Likes

I took your advice and submitted a ticket - got a helpful reply almost immediately! They’re aware and looking for help in finding the error. Just in case it helps anyone, here’s the reply I received:

I’m sorry to hear about the crash.

We have been chasing a bug for a while that we know is related to the arpeggiator and causes a crash like the one you describe. It appears to affect specific patterns only, and we have not succeeded in reproducing it when starting from a new project. We have been sent some projects where this happens and have intermittently been able to reproduce using the affected project, but we are still trying to find the exact culprit.

If you can reproduce the issue, it would help us a lot if you attach the affected project so we can have a look. Using Transfer, it is easy to drag and drop a project to your computer. After connecting the device to Transfer, navigate to the EXPLORE tab (in the upper right corner) and select PROJECTS in the right-hand dropdown menu (just below the EXPLORE tab). You can then select one or multiple projects and drag them to your computer (the left-hand pane in the Transfer app).

1 Like

cool :v:t2: yeah they have been looking for almost 2 years now :joy: The things is though that it affects a lot more projects than we/they realize because the arp fucks up your sequence way before you can get it to crash.

Now I’m not a 100% certain of course that the 3 arp bugs I described above are all related, but regardless they are bugs and there is a good chance that fixing the simpler ones will lead them to the source of the crash as well.

It’s true that it’s somewhat difficult to get it to crash, but the bug labeled “bug 3” can be consistently recreated in a new project with 2 trigs and that one is still there as well :man_shrugging:t2:

Edit: Yeah I just double checked, just to make sure I’m not talking out of my ass. Recreating bug 3 took considerable less time than hooking up the power and upgrading from 1.40 to 1.40B :joy:

I am experiencing an arpeggiator bug as well. I have 3 arps going on track 2,3 and 4. when I switch to the next pattern only Track 3 is programed to still be an arp however, Track 2 and 4 are still playing the arp from the last pattern. They play their arp sound from the last pattern as well as playing the notes that are programed in the current pattern. Even though the current pattern does not have arp engaged on those tracks.

Would love to know where I can ‘send a ticket’ to Elektron. I can upload this project to transfer for reference and take a video of what I’m talking about.

Lets get our big heads on this and squish this little bug into the sidewalk my Elektron comrades!

All 1/16 speed. Track 2 is 2 octaves (range 2) and track 4 I’ve adjusted the note the arp plays in the arp menu (called OFS )

1 Like

Also this bug still happens even with just 2 arps, track 3 and track 4. On track 4 I have p locked the notes in the arp in the arp menu perhaps this is the source of the bugs power?

And what about your trigs length ? If they are set to infinite (or even 32 or more), it’s normal that the arp continue when you change your pattern. When you set an arp, you have to be very careful with the length unless you can have arps cutting before the next trig, or two arps playing together (if there’s still enough voices), or the arp playing without end (with infinite trig length).

1 Like