Workflow: Digitakt and Analog Keys

Hello all,

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, I couldn’t find it. And I’m certain you’ll have awesome ideas beyond my current understanding!

I’m struggling to figure out the optimum workflow for these two… My optimum setup is using my DT for drums and samples, and my AK for synth sounds. Beyond that, I have a Sub Phatty for basses and a Volca Sample if extra sample slots are needed.

So…

• Should I sequence everything from the DT and slave the AK? In this case, can I also use AK to play the notes into the DT whilst also receiving midi?
  • Or is it better to just send clock from DK and sequence the AK itself, using DT for some extra LFO trips etc.? AK seems to have big depth with LFOs and filters, but I find the DT interface way easier to understand and use at the mo!
  • Or shall I sell my AK and buy the more portable Novation Peak or Digitone?! The AK has a few lovely sweet spots, but isn’t the most inspiring to me at the mo (unlike DT which I’ve loved in the last two weeks!)

Any ideas on benefits of workflow / setup much appreciated!

2 Likes

Hi. I have a digitakt as main brain, because I can save BPM per pattern there. So AK is slaved to it. Also DT controls a Sub37 per Midichannel per Midithrough through the Ak. So I can sequence the Sub in DT.

Aks midi out is going to DTs midi in, so I can use its keys to play everything on DT or external synth.

Just the joystick isn’t controlling pitch and mod. I’m wondering why…

OK cool - so are you using the AKs internal sequencer at all?

In my opinion:

Don’t buy or sell anything until you have exhausted the capabilities of the gear you have already. You can make a lot of music with the items you have already.

Use the sequencers on both your Elektron instruments first before sequencing one from the other: the best aspect of Elektron gear is the combination of sequencer and sound source.

8 Likes

Ah, Ak is just receiving clock an transport. To sync it. You can select it in AKs midi settings.

So Ak is sequenced by its own sequencer.

Dt is sequencing itself and the Sub37 per midi thru through the ak. So DT is sending out everything.

I’m following this conversation because I have a DT and am very tempted to get an AK.
Correct me if I’m wrong:
I could have the DT as master clock and syncing pattern change with the AK, right? While the AK sequencer played its own pattern? So I would sequence the notes on the AK, use its p-locks etc, but with instantaneous pattern switch triggered from the DT. ? That would be ideal – the AK sequencer looks good for melodic stuff.

(also: in this scenario, is there any difference between the behaviour of the AK and the behaviour of the AK, other than the lack of a keyboard obviously?)

If you are using AK/A4 as master you would get song mode as bonus (just saying).

1 Like

Absolutely don’t sell your AK- otherwise you’re going to fall into the same trench as many other Elektron users who complain about no song mode.

The song mode on your AK can be applied to your Digitakt.

Also, the AK has Overbridge available!

1 Like

Thats one more reason why i think they have to add instant pattern change on the the DT.
It will make sense in workflow if you have A4/keys … Lets see where it goes

Thanks for replies so far!

I’m honestly not at all worried about song mode. I can easily work without it.

I’ll play around more today, sequencing AK independently and sending clock / transport from DK as laid out above. Then I could add extra interest by using some trigs on the DK midi to do things like changing voices / control panning using its LFO?

I guess I just haven’t really gelled with the AK (despite having had it for 6months, programming mostly for live gigs), whereas I found the DK interface muuuch easier to get into and enjoy in the three weeks I’ve had it so far (helped by a battery pack and taking it everywhere!). Hence I was wondering if sequencing purely from DK would work well, or if I’m missing a load of functionality on AK.

Ultimately, when I record everything in to my DAW as a performance, I’d like to just use the DK for controlling everything, to keep it as simple as possible.

Digitakt already has that

nop…

1 Like

hi, i have that workflow…Digitakt, Ak…and korg R3, Waldorf streichfett…and that is my config…the DT send clock…and program change to AK…ak control Korg R3 and waldorf…with the Midi Mode of AK…and record sequence…on the DT…and the 4 part of synth from AK…sequences on AK…is very cool, and fun setup…and you cant put more synth in the chain…i need more midi cable…

Great setup, loving the diagram!

I’ve been struggling to get the AK to play midi notes into the DT… It triggers the pad, but I can’t get it to actually input notes into the DT sequencer :-/ Very frustrating! Any tips on midi settings in both DT and AK would be much appreciated!!

this is all the setup working…

how do you set that up?

Any update on this front? I’ve got a minitaur that I can play using the analog keys (through digitakt in between), but I don’t know how to program a sequence on the digitakt using the keys.

put the AK and DT in the same auto channel in the midi config…and midi out AK to Midi in to DT, and midi out DT to midi IN AK…and set the midi master… example…DT send midi clock and progr…and AK midi clock recibe and program

1 Like

You can have a slave send note and CC information back to its master. This will enable AK midi tracks to control DT sample tracks, including keyboard control of sample playback. Just make sure the slave isn’t sending Clock/Trans, and that the master isn’t listening for the same.

Alternatively, if you want to use DT’s interface for advanced LFO design for DT sample tracks, simply slave AK to DT then run Midi Thru from AK back to DT. Now you can use DT midi tracks both to control AK and to loopback midi date to the DT sample tracks.