Wooden Side Panel Caution

Was installing wooden side panels to build a rack. Used M3 screws. WARNING: the control PCBs on ALL three devices are flush with the side panel screw holes. Make sure you open the Elektron device and make sure you have clearance.

Sorry for not being such a technical oriented guy, but what are control PCB’s ? I’m planning some DYI stands for my A4/AR but can’t afford breaking the machines in the process. Care to share a bit more details on that sad experience ?

Whichever side panel arrangement you come up with, you have to ensure that the screws never protrude through no more than circa 3-4mm iirc or so such that they only engage with the machine side plate (they must not go beyond in towards the pcb and there is no advantage in any case in terms of how the thread works) - info for guidance only, measure the safe depth for yourself and don’t over tighten on soft wood

Well, you guys probably saved my machines as I was most probably going to end up breaking them the same way, so thank you very much for sharing your experience.

2 Likes

Money to burn.

I really like the Elektron machines but as an engineer I must admit that these screw wholes are designed very poorly. Something like this schould not happen and would be easy to avoid in my opinion

Yes, either the holes should not line up with PCB or a dead end screw thread on unit so screws cant go in. Or design the pcb with a notch out of it.

Im glad I saw these posts before possibly doing same thing.