Wobbly Encoders

I have a new RYTM, less than a month old, and one of the main encoders has taken on a noticeable side to side wobbly motion when I use it. I am thinking this is something that will get worse over time with use and perhaps I should send it back and get a replacement. Anyone else ever have the same issue?

Edit; getting a new one from the place I ordered since it’s been less than a month.

Oddly enough, the level encoder on my machine has started to do this in the past week.

Is it best to return it for repair whilst under warranty? I’ve had my rtym since it was launched last year…

I would think, yes that’s best. For me I have it less than a month so the place I got it is sending a new one right away. I would suggest opening up a service ticket on the official site.

Ive noticed this in my Rytm and AK. Rytm is only about 6 months or so old, AK is newer. I feel like they just need tightening, but not sure whether I should contact HQ or not.

not much you can do with wobbly encoders, either send it back to get it fixed before they get even wobblier or wait until they break…you can’t tighten the encoders, is the shaft that wobbles, not the entire component (would have been bad if it was the encoder itself)

Is this still the latest best guidance in 2021? Starting to get some knob wobbles on AK and OT. Would love to sort it out on this side of the Atlantic… Anyone have luck with a local repair?

I bought a secondhand A4mkII from ebay, it has wobbly knobs on the first two: volume and quick performance, slight wobble on the track level too. Everything else is fine, except for a tiny scratch on the case under the parameter knobs. The seller was less than honest about it’s condition…

Is there any more advice about the wobbly knobs? They work fine, and I have no doubt they can be replaced … any further experiences welcome!

It’s going to happen to every single Elektron. It’s a question of when and not if. They just wear down with use and require replacing after a certain amount of time.

The good news is that they will keep working for years to come, even when they get very wobbly. Once you want to get them replaced it’s a pretty easy job for someone who knows how to solder. A friend of mine had his A4 mk1 knobs replaced and it cost him under a hundred euros to get it done by a pro.

1 Like

Thanks Norb, that is what I wanted to know. I am ok with a soldering iron, des anyone know how accessible the board is for this repair? Any spec on the parts needed? I will be writing to Elektron on this too, they have been very helpful so far …

They are very helpful. Not sure on the A4 but the Rytm MkII is super simple to take apart and to access.

And if the scratch bothers you. You can always buy a replacement casing from elektron.

1 Like

All of my Elektrons have developed wobbly encoders over time (OT/MD/AR/A4/AK). I have a MD and OT on my desk right now and every single encoder wobbles on them, some more than others.

It used to bother me but not anymore. I don’t think sending it back for a replacement will guarantee it doesn’t happen again in the future. It seems to just be an issue with the encoders used and the way they’re mounted.

That said, my Elektrons are all MK1s, so it’s possible the encoders have improved in the MK2 versions and aren’t as susceptible to wobble. If that’s the case it could be worth sending back for a replacement to see for yourself.

1 Like

A new case? I asked support about touch-up paint and they gave me the exact grey colour spec. But they did not mention a replacement case! I think I may need to learn to accept some imperfection in my life and I will grow as a person. Thank you for your reply.

That is actually a comfort to hear, and certainly my A4II functions perfectly. Thank you.

Ask for a new top panel casing

My Digitone Keys started with a volume wobble, none of the encoders have developed any over use. Had a local repair person replace that and a MnM encoder that’d been super wobbly and did not register properly as well, and made sure the encoders were mounted securely for less flex.

If you’re experienced at soldering it should be doable, Elektron mailed me the Keys pot under warranty and the replacement MnM encoders nearly at cost.