Will there ever be an AK mk II if there's an A4 mk II?

Crossposting from https://www.reddit.com/r/Elektron/comments/9vcij5/dear_elektron_do_you_have_future_plans_for_an/

Hi,
I often check the 2nd hand market and last weeks i see lots of A Keys going off for less than $700, just fair price or something new about to come? Just askingā€¦
Cheers

No official annoucement or even rumors as far as I knowā€¦
Seeing the last elektron releases, the facts that there are still a few brand new AK avaliable at some shop, I wouldnā€™t bet on such a big unit from elektron anytime soon, but thatā€™s meā€¦

I tried to sell mine recently and finally abandonned because there is no way I can let this go 550 eurosā€¦

Tons of new toys recently, people seems to like them tiny these days, so second hand market for potential buyer of an AK is paradiseā€¦people will deliver to your studio and rig it for you if you askā€¦ :slight_smile:

On a side note, not selling it made me re-discover the beastā€¦Not bad at all !

5 Likes

Not heard any rumours at all. Previous Keys models (Iā€™m thinking Monomachine) never received a MK2 update. But some guyā€™s been trying to sell a MKI in Malta for 850ā‚¬ for months now, bless him.

I feel like people donā€™t have the attention span for it. Itā€™s like Iā€™m crafting my own instrument every time I sit down. I gotta get on creating kits, sounds, and multimap! Def a lifelong instrument

I would also like to see an AK MKII, my dream would be an 8 voice version

1 Like

The rumors of a new Elektron Keys product were really strong and are now really old ā€“ but itā€™s possible.

I really like the two #TSR19 videos (from that recent Thomann event) done with Elektron equipment. [1] [2]

I note that in spite of an enormous warehouse of stuff at Thomann, it is completely impossible to pick a conventional keyboard product from Elektron. The Korg minilogue xd, that JAde Wii uses in video 2, seems like a suitable substitution, minikeys and all (hey itā€™s got a joystick), but sadly there is something truly missing. (Not in JAdeā€™s playing though.) Sigh ā€¦

1 Like

Also the Analog Keys is being under their legacy products for a while.

If there is indeed going to be an AK MKII, I would definitely agree with the sentiment that it should have 6-8 tracks/voices.

I also really think it should utilize the extra real estate to include more knobs, and that it should have the analog compressor from the RYTM on the master as well.

3 Likes

Agreed. It would make sense for it to actually be a different instrument in itā€™s own right, as opposed to an A4 with keys. Iā€™d love to see one!

1 Like

My guess is they feel like theyā€™ve shot their load analog-wise. The AK ā€˜toneā€™ has not been well-loved as an analog synth among analog aficionados. Itā€™s also been heavily implied that it didnā€™t sell very well.

Iā€™m not expecting one anymore, but maybe they would release another keyboard thatā€™s not analog.

Yehā€¦DigiKeysā€¦blend samples with fm, 16 voice
polyphonyā€¦6 tracksā€¦part DT part DNā€¦

Sign me upā€¦

An OctaKeys might work.
If itā€™s cheaper than the ProphetX.
Iā€™d buy one.

1 Like

Any update on a Analog Keys MKII?

I need the keyboard + the joystick. Also a facelift with bigger screen + more knobs on the right-hand side = less menu diving.

I canā€™t find a decent second-hand offer of Analog Keys original version, so please Elektron make it happen! This will sell so easily, what are waiting forā€¦ I donā€™t wanna by the A4, it loses 60% of the expression provided by the joystick + keyboard.

Nope, no one knows (outside of Elektron). If the original AK didnā€™t sell well enough, I canā€™t see this happening. Thatā€™s pure conjecture tho

1 Like

It didnā€™t sell well enough? How come, its sound, modulation and sequencing capabilities are unique and it blows any other 4-voice competitor even today.

Just get a normal screen, more knobs, 6-8 tracks/voices, allow sequence to external midi and boom there you go.

Totally agree!

Who knows? @Scot_Solida (who has a massive collection of vintage synths) thinks it will become a sort-after modern classic soon enough (if Iā€™m remembering his comment correctly). But maybe it didnā€™t capture the market well enough compared to more knobby synths. It also didnā€™t have polyphonic capabilities at launch (again, I think this is right). I personally moved it on after six months of owning it because I hated the UI. Maybe it was also too expensive to manufacture and the A4 sold better and at a higher profit margin. A variety of different factors are at play. Maybe just bad timing etc etc

2 Likes

Haha, ever since that comment Iā€™ve thought I better get to know my A4 better, and keep an eye on AK prices just in case. :smiley:

2 Likes