Will there be any future OT updates? / Could it ever become open source?

You’ve made a point !
:smile_cat:

no comment.

1 Like

so what you are saying is, minor feature additions are likely?? :smile_cat:

somebody had to do it

5 Likes

open source? non mais tu veux te faire insulter toi -)

1 Like

Ah c’est bilingue Elektronauts ? Du moment que c’est pas en suédois ! :-p

1 Like

Take gear for what it is now. I’ve owned my Ensoniq EPS classic since 2009. I still sample with it and create new music. The last OS was written in 1997. I learned to work with it in live and love sampling and mangling sounds into it. It makes me feel happy.

That’s the same way I feel about the octatrack. It’s got its pros and cons, but when I hear something on the radio i usually ask i wonder how I can rearrange that loop on the octatrack. A piece of gear has succeeded its mission if you can ask yourself that. Yes there’s features I wish it had but for most part I do sample editing in Melodyne 4 and Soundforge for the Mac. I bounce my sounds into the octatrack and when I jam I lose 1 hour at least reworking samples in it.

7 Likes

Thanks for the well thought out response Simon. I’ve been working very heavily with the OT lately completing a live album type thing. Everything is centered around the OT (and 3 other elektrons) and I feel this machine is a masterpiece :heart_eyes:. I can control the flow, the feel, the overall performance of my show from that one box. From my perspective the OS is done and doesn’t need any additions. People can flame away at this one, but it’s true. RYTM is and will always be my true first elektron love, but OT is now my “wholly shit this beast can do anything” box.

I think that people who aren’t totally satisfied with their experience on Octatrack, might be seeking something it isn’t and therefore should perhaps seek it in another instrument. If I bought a guitar and I couldn’t play spontaneously like Eddie Van Halen I wouldn’t blame the guitar … hehehe

That’s great to know that Elektron supports and stands by their products.

2 Likes

Great news! Will we get a bug-fix firmware update anytime soon?

1 Like

I don’t think anyone’s arguing that it isn’t an amazing box and from most angles it’s ‘complete’. But things like not having 8 separate outs or a way to live record 8 stems to export still feels like a big ommision/PITA. And other little things like the sequencer not recording ‘note off’ and no slice to transient option etc. It’s mostly stuff that has workarounds but could be super streamlined on a new version. And with a more powerful cpu Elektron could possibly add polyphonic sample tracks, sample layering, longer sequences without having to chain, trig conditions, more fx and a bunch of other stuff we probably haven’t even thought off :wink: Rytm and A4/AK have separate outs or overbridge. So it’s not like this stuff isn’t a valid requirement/wish on hardware… I don’t really see it as knocking the OT, it’s probably the most capable/best workflow/performance box ever made in a lot of ways, it’s more like just getting hyped about/picturing what’s coming next :wink:

I reply to you but it’s not really to you @Callofthevoid

Do we have stock option on this company ? No.
So i guess they will be strategic on Elektron development, i hope they continu to make great work for them because it’s important that’s their baby not ours…

Meanwhile, i think we have all we need to make music… and we waiting some more, better, more powerful, somethink like that, with this and that…

All this precious time to think rather to be creative and making music.
No offense. I’m just doubtfully… We have 2 Drum Machine who cover everything regarding needs and taste, we have a center brain with sampling and midi sequencing and we have 2 synth : 4 track analog Synth and a Digital one who can do a lot (i do not speaking about the AH here) just that Trio is already complete. And waiting to rock music scene-club now :slight_smile:

God fathers had their classics (808-909-303 etc…) and we have ours modern classic… but instead we discuss and looking for something … :zonked:

when most people moan about stuff or feature request I don’t think they’re sat looking at their gear in tears :wink: I’m fine with what I have :slight_smile: Only real thing I need is more time/energy… I only hit forums when I need help/I’m bored/too tired for music/waiting for a mix to export or something :wink: It’s a slightly better alternative to Facebook (most of the time… :wink: I don’t take any of it very seriously when it comes to anything that us users write about this stuff… It’s natural/fun to speculate for a minute here and there but it’s always gonna come down to business/profit/sales decisions in the end…

1 Like

Yes that’s why i say it’s not a reply to you, more a opening mind thinking… on what i read here and there…
Don’t you find that a bit strange ? this quest of equipment who seem to be time consuming @Callofthevoid ?

1 Like

I’m really happy to not be a fetishist, gear collector or even a Poker Player
My life would have been even more hell if i was like that
i have pity for these pathology or passion ( i don’t know)

I guess it’s strange in a way. But for people with little time/space etc the best thing a company can do is make something that saves time/streamlines/combines features… So for people without a lot of time to work on music and do workarounds etc there’s plenty to wish for still even in this era :wink: before I had kids I literally never thought about gear, I just made what I had work, experimenting was just fun and didn’t matter if I’d often waste a couple of full days/weeks. Since I had kids it’s thrown a lot of obstacles for music and I guess I overcompensate for not being able to ‘make’ music by thinking about what would make it easier… Yeah it is pretty weird I guess… I should probably just download some Ebooks I can pick up/read wherever I am and try to switch the music part of my brain off except when I’m able to actually do it…

3 Likes

I understand that.

Hi Simon, thanks for your reply. Although I have to admit that I am not happy to read that it is “highly unlikely” that the OT will receive “major feature additions”, I really do appreciate your openness about it. For me, it is a good thing to know which things I should stop hoping/wishing for.

But when you say that Elektron has not “stopped supporting” the OT, does this mean that the community can still hope for bug fixes? If yes, and if I only had one wish for a bug fix, I would pick this one (as it is an obstacle in my OT workflow):
• Cueing doesn’t work correctly in Studio mode (Support ticket #8372)

These are follow-ups:
• If a Thru machine set to A+B receives a MIDI note, it collapses from stereo to mono (#13615)
• Clearing a recording in Flex or Pickup machines sets QPL parameter to “off” (#14277)

All tickets include the necessary steps to reproduce the bugs.

Thanks for considering!

P.S. Would it increase the chances for an OT bug fix release in the forseeable future if the OT users on Elektronauts compiled and agreed upon a prioritized list of e.g. 20 “most wanted” bug fixes?

5 Likes

We love our elektron machines to death I guess.

The OT is the best machine I ever had, 6 months with it now and I’m still enjoying it more and more, I love the sequencer, the scenes fader, the audio quality, the samplechains, its restrictions that push me to work harder and pull some magic out of it, its open mind, live resampling, tricks, workarounds, and son on.

But

1. there are still some bug to be fixed so as to be able to really be 100% operational. I don’t want any additions (I could live with some additions, though), but only the OT features all to work as promoted. For me the biggest bug is the scene-locks that won’t stick on pickup tracks. I can use workarounds. But still, it’s a “black zone” of my beloved machine, and I don’t like having blind corners, or a defective piece of my engine.

A bugfix request isn’t a silly request. We’re not speaking of freeware here, we’re speaking about some 1300€ machine here…

1. I guess a lot of the “heat” here these days comes from this precise 1) fact : lots of us are still waiting for this final OT bugfix update to be finally released / or the OT2 release… and we get the (good) Analog Heat… ok… then soon after there’s another new elektron box to be released… and that’s a (good) guitar pedal…

2. So Elektron seems to HAVE time, money, and team to work HARD on their gear… but still nothing about the OT final bugfix, neither any OT2.

3. People are pissed, and turn this anger into creative threads here, rather than ranting again and again, and I find this rather cool and interesting. (Elektron should really be more in touch with their customers I think, because it’s a goddamn fine and smart creative community here, and they should sherish such a thrustful userbase…)

4. and anyway, we’re all gear passionate, and we love Elektron machines a lot, so we can’t help but dreaming here out loud about the magical machines Elektron coud still be creating, improving, or even finishing ah ah!

(and by the way, I don’t think people here do spend more time on the forums than working their music on their machines… Dreaming about updates or new gear doesn’t prevent me from being very creative, especially with the OT being my main machine :smiley: )

Salut à toi :smiley:

3 Likes

Bonjoir :slight_smile:
I don’t really consider Pickups limitations as a bug, because it works differently. I mostly use Flex instead of Pickups, even for overdubs.
I would use Pickups only for layering pads, because layers can be crossfaded (fade in + fade out) to avoid clics. After recording I save the sample and assign it to the same Track with Flex.

1 Like

There’s definitely some bugs that are not limitations or intended outcomes with the pickup machines, would love to get them sorted. I use a pickup/flex combo for looping and realtime flex audio tricks, I only have a few samples that are pre saved. Main issues for me are scenes not recalling and slave loops upon first repeat (sometimes) start there loop from the middle of the recording instead of the begining. Soon I will dig back into these and see if I can send back to support some more details…

1 Like

Open source only works if the code is made to be understandable by a third party. If the Octatrack source would be released tomorrow, you would need to spend a ridiculous amount of time figuring it out.

There’s a lot of people able to work on badly documented spaghetti code. That pretty much describes a lot of open source :smiley:

But even if that’s accepted an unwillingness to open up protected IP is a pretty solid reason and one not likely to ever be surmounted.

That said you release any documentation you have on the hardware with information on what you’d need to do to flash your own OS.

Someone may take that up as a project and do something interesting with it

2 Likes