Why the pattern autosave? am I missing something

just lost all the patches I was working on because of autosave. This is the first synth I’ve owned that does not explicitly require you to save a patch before overwriting whatever you’re working on.

Finally discovered the recover “temp” button but this only recovers that last autosaved modification…

This is a really bad workflow for me. Can I turn this autosave “feature” off?

You can save patches by exporting sounds (FUNC + °°° button). You can create a temporary save state for the pattern you’re working on with FUNC + YES. This state can be recalled with FUNC + NO. If you want to permanently backup all patterns of your project, you have to save the project (FUNC + PROJ). This won’t export sounds though. If this seems confusing, I suggest to read through the manual to get a overwiew of how and why the data management on the digitone is how it is.

I dont own a digitone but flying over the manual head over to page 37!
temp. save and temp. load

maybe you got something wrong with datamanagement
If u have saved your pattern A1 and you are going to change some values - switch off the device and switch it on again the state will be a “memory” recall - some values has been changed but were not saved within the pattern so you should be able to reload it.

have you tried to reload the pattern?

AFAIK no Elektron device performs a real save to +drive without being ask for. A reload project should bring everything back as it was when you last used save project.

1 Like

this is not how it’s behaving. example. I make a change to a patch. save noting. turn it off and back on and that change is now permanently saved with me having saved nothing. It’s like auto save. in this way I have ruined all the custom patches I had.

Thankfully there are backups of most of them but this is an awful way to work.

It seems like you treat the action of restarting the device as reload/clear function which it isn’t.
reload from temp before swithcing off to go back to previous state.

2 Likes

i believe there’s two states active - the current temporary one and the last save done - rebooting the device doesn’t necessarily imply you’re now operating with a saved one

you need to look at the saving hierarchy to follow what is happening and where your data is - don’t assume too much - the workflow is different and actually quite flexible (at least on other boxes, i assume it’s the same with DN)

1 Like

Thanks for the replay but not sure what you mean with the hierarchy

It’s important to understand the Elektron terms and workflow. “Patch” is not the same as “pattern.” In fact, unless I’m mistaken, no Elektron unit even uses the word “Patch.” It’s all kits, patterns, scenes, banks what have you.

All pattern data is immediately autosaved, yes. This is generally considered a good feature. If you want to start a brand new pattern you can simply go to a new bank (B01) or a new pattern (A02). Nothing will be lost when you move back and forth like this.

As you learn the Elektron way you will make mistakes and you will lose data…It’s a sort of rite of passage. It’s best to experiment with the workflow and data management on “patches” that you don’t care about losing just so you can understand how it all interacts with each other. I thought I understood, then I realized I had lost all of my Monomachine data just because I forgot to save a snapshot (basically all patterns, kit, song data etc.) before I switched to a new one…Because I thought it autosaved :stuck_out_tongue:

Elektron is like Dark Souls. You better commit to an action because if you make the wrong move it could immediately bite you in the ass, and now it’s autosaved! So don’t attack that NPC…

…I’m being a bit facetious and I’ll admit I just wanted to shoehorn in a Dark Souls comparison. Elektron can still be forgiving. For instance if you accidentally clear a whole kit/pattern, you can usually undo this by just pressing func+clear again. That’s saved me a couple times.

5 Likes

They made the best sounding DX that isn’t even Yamaha so I won’t complain. I’ll just figure out how to use it like they want me to use it.

It does autosave but you also have “save to project” and “temp save” which you can reload from after changing things you don’t want to keep. It’ll take some study and trying things out but after awhile a whole new flexible workflow can be yours…

Also don’t forget to save the entire project when it’s in a state you would like to keep it in, then you can mess with the entire thing and reload it if needed…

Sounds like you expect it to go back to the save when you power cycle, which isnt how the digitone works. When you power on you get the state the machine was in when it shut off, you have to manually reload the project if you want to work from the saved state.

An Elektron machine doesn’t clear their RAM when you turn them off (RAM is powered even when the machine is off). So when you turn it on again, it is in the same state as it was before (but the project data on the +drive hasn’t changed and the project in RAM wasn’t reloaded from there).

Don’t mistake that as (permanent) auto-save, because it isn’t!

I would advise to test it for yourself:

1. make a new project and use “save project”
  2. make same changes (don’t use “save project”)
  3. turn the machine off and on again (your previous changes are still there)
  4. make more changes without using “save project”
  5. use reload project from the +drive

You will see all your changes from (2) and (4) are gone, because they never got saved to the +drive.

5 Likes

Seems to only go back to one round of changes, not the original saved project. That seems to be gone forever.

Have you really used “save/load project” and not the temporay save/reload pattern functions?

If I hit function setting/save Project I get “error”. If I go directly into settings/project/save project I get a numbered list with //////////////////// instead of a name or a bank.

Assuming I want to save to bank F1 I’d count to number 96. Saved original project, messed it up a few times, tried to load it back, there it is.

I’m working with a sysex dump and it looks like I’m going to have to save all 16 projects (since sysex does not automatically save them? and I should be good.

I think we figured this out.

Thank you

tested and tested again, works perfectly. This workflow makes a whole lot more sense. This is not a vintage synth. They are certainly taking a new approach and there is clearly a learning curve.

1 Like

It sounds like you’re making/saving a new project for each new pattern you make, unless I’m mistaken? Why do you have 16 projects? I’ve had the Digitone since release day and I’m still on the same project!

I don’t usually buy patches, but this pack is outstanding and exactly what I want out of the digitone. 16 projects:

1 Like

That’s 16 patterns, my friend! You only have to load the sysex file once (which will save to a single project), then use the PTN (or BANK) button to access the patterns you want.

Section 5 of the manual explains it, but basically, for each project, you can have up to 128 patterns, sorted into 8 banks of 16. Saving a project will save all 128 patterns stored in that project.

3 Likes