Why should anybody want an OG 909/808 nowadays?

Instant noodles with vegetables???

Well, hello Mister Fancypants.

1 Like

Thanks! Enjoyable post :headphones:

1 Like

I did terribly.

The only one I got right was the Machinedrum. If I got that one wrong, I would probably have to turn mine in.

1 Like

Me: ā€œThatā€™s a drumā€

2 Likes

Another data point: drummers will buy or assemble replicas of their favorite drummersā€™ drum kits. Some of those setups are FAR more expensive than a minty 909/808/303.

2 Likes

I see boxes like the 909 and 808 etc have become collectors boxes for people who have a lot of money.

I have a TR8S and it is the best drum computer i have ever used. I would never ever USE an 808 or 909 OVER the TR8S in the studio OR live, because this box is BETTER in every way, except to those absolute purist, who insist on original box analog whateverā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s me exactly!

I guess I have a bit of a tin ear. Iā€™ll have friends breathlessly switch pickups, tweak amps and plug in two versions of the same guitar and ask me for my opinions.

Me: Uhhhā€¦that sounds like an electric guitar???

:flushed:

3 Likes

I donā€™t want to own an OG 808 or 909 in my lifetime (because of the cost, maintenance, etc.) but I do hope that this is where we go when we die:

7 Likes

The Wizard

1 Like

Just a nice to have if you have the money and space. Or, if you really really really want the original sound. But at the end of the day, not needed for modern production in 2022.

People who show off vintage gear most likely never had to deal with it in the 1980ā€™s. I gigged full time with early drum machines, MiniMoog, etcā€¦ when they were new. Have no desire to go back to those headaches. Modern software and hardware copies sound just as good, are easier to program, and cost a fraction. The only vintage gear I want is a Rhodes Chroma or Oberheim Matrix 12. But, even if I could afford one I would not be able to find anyone close to me that could repair them.

6 Likes

Iā€™m tempted to eventually save up for a RE-909, however since thereā€™s that at the high end and omnipresent cloner or Roland TR8S at much more reasonable prices, I figure that if Iā€™m spending more than my fantasy AcidLab Detroit would be I donā€™t need to be wedded to the classic sound.

Ignoring Eurorack modules like the Mutant BD9/Clap or Queen of Pentacles (and ignoring Elektron since I do know people love the A4) what are peoples favorite drum machine designs that scratch that itch in extending the 909 or otherwise cut crisp / hit as hard with ā€œtechnoā€?

Rytm wants a whisper in your ear

1 Like

donā€™t forget the Steda Electronics 909. I think they sell kits for $999 with literally all the parts. you just need to build it (or hire someone to). they also offer color options (if youā€™re so inclined). I have one and itā€™s fantastic. every bit as good as the RE-909 or the real deal.

https://stedaelectronics.com/

2 Likes

Been down this path and there is nothing better than the 909 for me. I had the rytm and the kick was pretty nice but Iā€™d still use 909 hats and claps.

Alternatives that are not the same but still techno are the Perkons/ tanzbar and pulsar-23. But they will not replace the 909 sound.

Good news is there are a million clones, samples and the roland tr8 for that sound.

1 Like

Oh, it screams into mine!

I also donā€™t need to bring up Elektron stuff on Elektronauts, I figure weā€™re all intimately familiar :smiley:

Yeah, Iā€™ve heard good things about it, ~1000 for just the kit is at that awkward space where Iā€™d need to think a lot about it in comparison with the RE-909.

I guess I donā€™t know how much it is for an RE-909 kit. I donā€™t think itā€™s quite so simple to obtain though; you have to get kit from them, case from Kumptronics, and source all parts yourself. or thatā€™s my understanding at leastā€¦

krumptronics does build RE-909s to order, tho there is currently a waiting list of undertermined length (I think i put myself on it a few months ago?). at least thatā€™s what i gathered from their website and my emails with Andreas. the price with extras is still less than what the reverbers typically want for an assembled kit so iā€™m okay waiting until my turn in line comes

1 Like
  • nostalgia, maybe misplaced?
  • prestige?
  • GAS (definitely)

thanks for the explanation. yeah the markup on Reverb is pretty highā€¦ Steda actually built mine and it was similar in price. $1800. I donā€™t know if they offer builds still though or if it was just when it was introduced and Covid made them hungrier for businessā€¦?