Why not usb audio for ak?

Elektron be like:

Drake showing approval for business model that makes no sense

Edit: this is sarcasm. I don’t believe elektron are deliberately crippling the AK to get OP to buy anything. That’s just silly.

3 Likes

I see the argument that xxxxx piece of gear has a certain feature why doesn’t xxxx2!have it . I’m not sure it’s relevant

If this were valid then why not apply it to pc , cars , tv’s , toasters , drills , cameras.

New apple laptops have usb 3 why don’t 10 year old apple laptops have as quick usb … because things get quicker and things develop( obviously ) …

2nd argument
An old Yamaha keyboard having a certain feature has no relevance to another manufacturer having the same feature. Otherwise why doesn’t my bass station2 have class compliant audio , or my brand new pro1 … it has usb.

If you simplify any feature to ‘usb is all the same ‘ then why not ‘ graphics cards are all the same ‘ and therefore why hasn’t my ps1 had a free firmware upgrade to run ps2 games … ?

Of course many devices are sold on specific pieces of hardware being upgraded with great a great deal of info about it. They’re sold on specific specs being improved , how else would nvidia stay in business
Maybe if synths called out the specific chipsets used then it might be more obvious , personally I think this would be silly.

The analog keys is old tech , analog 4 mk2 isn’t just a new box, things changed .
Plus I suspect it’s a niche product that didn’t warrant the effort in making mark2 so they focused on other newer modern boxes .

I think there is some logic in this post somewhere. I’ll read it again in an hour and probably delete it.

4 Likes

Fragments on iOS is far better than the vst editor

They are totally trying to force us to buy the AK mkII

3 Likes

It doesn’t exist ( unless I missed something ).

( I wonder if there are car threads with people upset that old cars don’t have upgraded features of new ones. People are being forced to buy new cars ?? )

The AK has too many features. Waaaay too many.
I’d like to see an Alt OS that removes all sequencing capabilities, all project management and sound management.
First world problems :frowning_face:

1 Like

Yip, I replied to a sarcastic comment with yet more sarcasm.

There is no AK mkII, you are correct.

1 Like

Hi all. OP here. Welcome to sarcastic community (sarcastic generation). Not only sarcastic but also apparently Elektron’s shareholders (allow me this sarcasm please). For those who don’t remember, it was known (or at least suspected) FOR YEARS that AK or A4 were capable of midi out and it was clear that there was not such feature because that would impact octatrack (which already had it at the time) Until finally, YEARS after A4 and AK came out, MIDI OUT capabilities were included even for oldwe models. In the meantime, hundreds (thousands?) of users bought octatrack almost only for this feature (of course taking advantage of the rest of its features). For this and many other similar examples in the last few decades on many other synths, the car’s example does not apply.
Regarding AK, it is clear that I am referring to sell it for buying the A4 MKIi (plus controller).
Even more: does elektron have the right to do it even for commercial purposes? The answer is yes. It is just I don’t like it, because I paid a lot for the three devices I have (with quality issues). And when I say a lot I am comparing with other devices.
Very glad you received these machines for free (my last sarcasm).

utterly speculative and already debunked as a nonsense argument - it’s beyond pointless now to keep throwing this stuff out there

1 Like

Not speculative since the moment we now know they finally had the ability to do it!
Maybe pointless for you, not for me. It shows some logic behind a company.

that was never what was said in the first place - there was never a denial it could be done, it was quite clear it was driven by nothing to do with these arguments

no, it only shows how cynically other people tend to think the whole world works and how little research goes into most of those assertions

5 Likes

So now you also call me cynical? Is this forum some kind of an autocracy led by you?

It’s definitely cynical to assume that usb audio is being deliberately withheld to try and get users to upgrade to mkii.

Nobody bought A4 or AK expecting class compliant usb audio. The fact we have it for mkii now is a nice bonus, not a conspiracy.

8 Likes

But if this update means you don’t want to buy mkii or any other elektron gear now… OK. Whatever.

1 Like

OK, I’ll stop here this thread as it smells like conspiracy theory.
The argument exposed here has been officially denied numerous times by Elektron.
Seing that they still maintain mk1 + the fact that they added MIDI out on Digi and Model series should be sufficient for not buying into any kind of commercial argument.
It’s just not how Elektron see things, if we are to trust every single employee that spoke on the matter.

If you sincerely can’t trust this company, please boycott and leave this place.

We’re here because we like the gear, we like music, there is no reason to host such sour content.

This is a deep lack of respect: @avantronica more than anyone spend quite some of his own free time maintaining this place.

Now this discussion is over as it goes nowhere: everything that had to be said on the matter as been said. Here and in other places on this forum.

13 Likes