Why keep (or get) the Analog Heat?

i love it to make music
i love my digitakt

but… i never understand what to do with the heat
it makes my music sound louder
or it makes my music sound more distorted?

no idea what to do with it…

1 Like

Start subtle and use your ears. I recommend working with clean boost, setting the wet knob 127, drive to 25% and using the wet/dry knob to gradually bring in the drive. Remember also you got the filter settings and eq to adjust to taste. Use your ears.

Most importantly make sure your input gain isn’t maxing out read the manual to check how to use it.

Good luck

2 Likes

Exactly what was said above! It can be used to completely destroy what you are putting through it or enhance it a great bit. Several perimeters that can be used to effect your music in many different ways, you can even set the frequency threshold for it to effect the sounds. If it doesn’t mesh after reading the manual and experimenting with it more get rid of it.

1 Like

i tried some things…
resampling is nice… just to record some filter self resonation
or send a pulse into it, max distortion… and then resample
gives me very deep sound

also i understand this clean boost… pumps up my sound

might be cool, but also really expensive…
so I still have doubt.

anyone another idea?

There are plenty of ideas that people have already shared here on the forum. Just have a look around. If you didn’t have a clear idea why you wanted it when you bought it, and if now that you have it you are unable to think creatively of uses for it, then maybe it isn’t the right thing for you.

2 Likes

It doesn’t only make it louder, it also gives warmth to the sound. Very important quality if you want to have good sounding mixes and not some flat sounding whatever.
Try researching compression, stereo, saturation, maximization, widening and so on. Those topics that quite often get disregarded and in the end people wonder why my track doesn’t sound like the one I just heard on xxx (insert your fav music provider).
Color, warmth, low end, mid, hi, reverbs, delays and etc have one thing in common.
They saturate stereo spectrum to the point that some of the sounds in your mix stop being audible. They literally blend and disappear. In a lot of ways you already know they are there since you were layering them but for somebody listening to the track for the first time many things can literally not exist. It’s a very thin line between sounds good and total shit.
At least moderate background on those topics will make you realize how much use you can find for the heat.

2 Likes

You tried making kicks or percussion with nothing on the inputs yet?

Like full size crabs on the Berring sea it’s a keeper.

4 Likes

I would love to know how this is done (the making of kicks, etc.).

Care to offer any details?

Thanks…

I do love the AH. A stunning range of coloration. But then, I do love distortion… (but the clean boost and saturation circuits are nice, too).

Set the lfo to sweep the filter.

1 Like

Ok I’ll give that a try.

Do you also use the envelope to control output volume… or just let it ring out?

No, just let the lfo sweep up and down and it will naturally give you a 4/4 kick sequence! Obviously that’s a basic example but with the crazy lfo speed you will discover blips and wobbles on your quest.
Be sure to try all lfo speeds, depths and also filter types…
I was quite impressed what the Heat did to ‘nothing’!

3 Likes

Well…its a distortion/saturation unit…what were you expecting :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Yeah sorry if it’s a little sharp, I’m stuck at work and shouldn’t really be using my phone :eyes:

the filters and eq are quite nice in combination with modulation capabilities + midi-automatable (great in combo with an OT (or DT when they fixed the midi-freezes ))

i find it impossible to not like this device

3 Likes

you may sell it and get one of these:+ a second digitakt. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I won’t talk you out of selling it. For sure sell it if it doesn’t impress you and then get something you really like. Lol In terms of value though -where else are you going to find a stereo compressor with an execellent stereo multi mode filter built in as well as EQ and 8 stereo distortion/coloration circuits with lfo’s and envelopes built in? If that’s not what you need than yeah sell it. But if you buy a passable compressor it’s going to be at the very least 200, a stereo multimode filter is roughly say 400, and then 8 stereo distortion pedals with EQ… yeeahhh see what I’m saying man? Heat is actually inexpensive, compact, and slick if it’s dissected. To me Heat is a powerful set of tools to glue my mix together. I use it to add a color or vibe to the entire mix. Usually it sounds cool but sometimes not useable at first so I’ll dial it back and let the envelope follower duck the cool vibes in and out of the entire mix by assining it to affect the wet mix or preset volume by -14 or whatever. Just barely though and I might put an lfo on the cut off frequency too and have it do the most subtle wah effect ever somewhere in the midrange of the whole mix. I use it like a shadow that I slowly creep into the mix to give it more interest. Often the dry signal is 80 percent there but the heats doing 20 percent of the character. That’s not always totally true though. The active switch is a huge boon as reality check for me to see if I made the mix sound better or just raised its overall volume.

8 Likes

Is there any other fx box that has a din-sync converter built in?

Genuine question, not a reply…

I put most of my gear through a Moog MF Drive guitar pedal (along with other pedals). When I first got it everything I put through it sounded like crap… it took me a while to figure out what gain staging was.

I started researching guitar tone on YouTube and found a channel called “that pedal show” these guys really helped me understand gain staging.

I now love using that overdrive pedal and use it on almost everything from suttle to destroyed tones.

I plan to get the Analog Heat soon. Looks like a great piece of gear.

it probably helps if you like music like this: