Why No Polyrhythms? [Update : added OS 1.11]

Any idea why the sequencer on this or the Tone can’t do per-track scaling? I guess it must be hard to pull off but curious why, the Polyend Seq had to rewrite a bunch of stuff to support this, must be a very technical reason.

1 Like

If I had to guess, I’d guess there’s some interference with OB- I don’t know why it would, though- but every groovebox between the OT and MS had OB but no per scaling :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I hope not, OB was supposed to be a take it or leave it addition to the Digitakt not something standing in the way of its main purpose, a hardware performance machine.

1 Like

Track scaling is not yet it’s main purpose of the machine

is it the main purpose of the Model: Samples?

It’s a feature

1 Like

For me, track scaling is the number one wanted feature. It would be a great thing to use when improvising live.

7 Likes

agree

definitely a must have feature for the digitakt sequencing.

2 Likes

Just FYI the OT/M:S tempo multiplier/trackscale only allow for triplets as far as polyrhythms (polymeter? Still don’t understand the difference)…

Options are 1/8X, 1/4X, 1/2X, 3/4X, 1X, 3/2X and 2X…

Way more interesting poly(rhythm/meter?) can be made by setting different individual track length and high master pattern lenght, which DT can do…

Maybe the 3/4X and 3/2X (both triplets) combined with different track length opens up some possibilities? I don’t know, this stuff confuses me… :grin:

4 Likes

Polymeter is what’s already in there with different track lengths. Polyrythm, strictly speaking, is 3 beats against 4, for example, and you can achieve that with scaling. X beats in the time that Y beats takes to finish.

More interesting for live performance is the ability to drop a track to half time, instead of having to do it on all the tracks at once, including midi tracks. There are times when the mix becomes a bit busy, and it’s a neat way to thin it out a bit. As an example.

1 Like

Because OT.

1 Like

Model:Samples has it too…
And there’s this:

2 Likes

I don’t know if I understand… but sure you can do per-track scaling with digitakt.
FUNC+PAGE -> open scale menu -> FUNC+YES -> open per track scale menu.

That’s different. We’re talking about x2 /3 tempo scaling per track.

When you do this on the dt the scaling is still per pattern. It’s a little confusing but the graphic does indicate that it’s per pattern.

Not in my Digitakt, unless. I can scale each track. Just you must set the “master” scale as longer as the longer of your track. I mean, if you set T1 to 16 and T2 to 24 and the master is a 16, digitakt will play all to 16, otherwise you set as master 24 and it will play T1 to 16 and T2 to 24.

OK, that’s true, you can only set the scale rate on master. But anyway, you can set differents longer of each track to simulate the same effect.

That’s number of steps, not track scale.

1 Like

Yes, sorry you’re right.